Cross Kit General Lee....ish 1969 Dodge Charger R/T

When I started this build I had no intention of building the General Lee as everyone knows it. I am a Charger fan long before I am a "Dukes" fan but still like the look of the General Lee so I hope I don't hurt any GL purists out there looking on.  spacer.pngI built one as a kid and have always wanted to have a second shot at it. Only this time I got to add my own touches to it. I started with the stance. I didn't like the high stance of the Lee at all so I set out lowering a bit all the way around. I also went with wider wheels from the AMT Eckler Corvette kit and used a set of tires(which I turned into Bf G's by way of decals ) from the Revell Challenger T/A kit so I could have a more aggressive look. Secondly, if I had one of these it only makes sense to have opening doors....hence the door handles. Third, I love the looks of the 69 Charger R/T grille.....a true testament to the aggressive looking front ends of the time so I opted to show the R/T grille unobstructed by not installing the grille guard up front. Just couldn't do it guys. Lastly, the GL is NOT an R/T which I simply could not have. If I'm going to build a Charger then it's gonna be an R/T and it's gonna have a 440 and not a 383. You're also not going to find a roll bar or CB radio inside. I love the looks of a factory interior in any car and have always liked the Charger interiors in particular so I couldn't "spoil" any of that.

The kit is from Revell. Paint is Testors "Go-Mango" lacquer with Testors "Wet Look" clear. Decals are from the MPC GL kit which was really the only visible part that I took from that kit. The front and rear license plate decals came from Thomas Logan at Speedway Decals. The OOB exhaust tips sucked so I replaced them with aluminum rod cut to length as well as bevel cut and polished. All scrips and details are from the Model Car Garage PE set for the Revell kit. 

Anyways here she is. I'd like to thank everyone who followed along, peeked in, and for those who commented or had input along the way. Great site....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

On 1/27/2020 at 4:30 PM, keefr22 said:

Really like the stance and the finish looks great! Personally I'd have preferred it in plain orange, but it's a stunning looking model! Lovely interior too!

Keith

Thanks Keith. I appreciate the comments bro.

On 1/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, ElectricLightAndy said:

Looks awesome, you have got that stance nailed, flawless 🧐

Andy

Thanks Andy. LOL. I just couldn't do the "highwater pants" look of the original. 

I've got a 68 Charger R/T in the stash and will be gathering the things I need to make a Bullitt II Charger out of it with some wider Magnum 500 wheels in the back and some smaller ones up front with pretty much the same stance as I've got this one in.

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 1

Superb build :)

Looking at that took me right back to the end of the 70's watching the TV show on a Saturday afternoon with flying cars and Daisy Duke in hotpants

What more could a teenage boy ask for 😂

Ian :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 12:02 AM, FunkyChiken said:

Fantastic build, and everybody likes to see a GL charger! 

I'm a little late in my gratitude post FC but I do thank you for your comments.  

Wow, what a gorgeous, bad bottom (haha, guess the swear filter didn't like that :D) looking car.  I confess I don't know enough about the subject matter to tell what is "right" from what is "wrong", but I know enough to know it looks cool.

Fantastic orange finish too.  Shiny!

Edited by Nev
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, Nev said:

Wow, what a gorgeous, bad bottom (haha, guess the swear filter didn't like that :D) looking car.  I confess I don't know enough about the subject matter to tell what is "right" from what is "wrong", but I know enough to know it looks cool.

Fantastic orange finish too.  Shiny!

Thanks Nev. Got another Charger in the works after I get done with my Maverick. It's lookin' like a Bullit…..ish 68 Charger R/T. :D

On 3/8/2020 at 4:33 PM, KonaDawg said:

Yeah, that works. Awesome!

Thanks KonaDawg! 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, Unfinished project said:

The 69 Charger is my favourite car of all time and the General is just perfection. You’ve made a cracking job with this one 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻

'Preciate the kudos UP! 

On 3/13/2020 at 7:55 AM, F-32 said:

The perfect stance for a bad a55 Charger!

Thank you F-32!!

On 4/10/2020 at 3:34 AM, Bevital said:

impeccable painting, nice engine bay and interior detailing, perfect stance... a great job!

On 4/10/2020 at 3:47 AM, Cooper645 said:

A nicely finished model, I especially like the positive rake angle and engine detailing.

Coops

Thanks fellas. I spent a lot of time with the stance. To me that was one of the most important aspects of this build and a change that just needed to happen. 

• Like 1