Canberra B.15/16 Akrotiri Strike Wing 1/72

Doc72

Hi everybody,

this week I started my Canberra. It is the S&M B.6 kit, but it will be slightly converted into a B.15 or B.16 (not decided yet) that served with the Akrotiri Strike Wing on Cyprus during the 1960s.

Ub3kVBJ.jpg

That's a sturdy box

48WMRnf.jpg

You know it's a short-run kit when the sprues come in a Tesco freezer bag

The parts look good, but I already realised when starting with the cockpit that everything needs a lot of test fitting. The instructions are fairly vague and there are no colours indicated for the interior (it's mostly black, I guess).

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

This will be interesting to watch, I adore the strike B.15/16s especially the 45 Sqn and ASW examples.

Are you going to add the Nord missiles?

Interesting to see the B.2 type main wheels on the sprue, are the B.6 type included aswel?

Well. the four squadrons of the ASW and the Far Eastern 45 Sqn were the only operators of this type, weren't they? I also like this period; it's kind of the very twillight of the British Empire. Some years ago, I built a Hunter from the Aden wing, also in the 1960s.

Regarding the AS.30 missiles, I don't think I will fit them. First of all, I don't have any (I guess, they could be obtained in resin or as spare parts somehow), second, there are few clear photos with visible serial and markings of ASW Canberras with the missile. I am a bit pedantic when it comes to reference photos. But maybe, mine will get the additional outer wing hard points for the AS.30.

• Like 1

Always good to see a Canberra being built, especially an RAF one.

Whilst not a B15, I took these cockpit photos of the Canberra B2 nose at the Avro Heritage Museum, Woodford, if they're any help? I assume B15 cockpits would be similar, most RAF aircraft of this era seem to have mainly black cockpits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Interesting to see the B.2 type main wheels on the sprue, are the B.6 type included aswel?

There seems to be a problem with the wheels in this kit. Actually, I haven't looked at it so far. Wheels are rather hidden on a Canberra, so maybe I can live with it.

9 hours ago, ptmvarsityfan said:

Excellent choice! Look forward to this build. Not sure of the external

differences between B6, B15 and B16? I know one of them had an ejection

seat deleted.

Cheers, paul

The B.15/16s were all refurbished B.6s. Similarly to the B(I).6 that was destined for use in Germany, the B.15/16 had underwing hardpoints added to them. All of the latter went to Cyprus (No. 6, 32, 73, 249 Sqn) and the Far East (45 Sqn). I guess, they also recieved some modification for use in the tropics. Unlike the B(I).6, I never saw a B.15/16 with the cannon ventral pack, just like a never saw British B(I).6 or B(I).8 with unguided rocket launchers under the wings which were standard armament for the B.15/16. Later some aircraft received additional hard points closer to the wing tips to carry the AS.30 guided missile. This modification is more common on planes from 45 Sqn, which served longer on this type, but you can also see it on some of the Cyprus-based Canberras.

The only difference between the B.15 and B.16 is that the latter had a sidewards looking radar (you gotta love British technology!). It is visible from the outside as an elongated fairing on the starboard side of the forward fuselage. I think the associated black boxes required one ejection seat to be removed. These internal changes are probably not visible from the outside.

The radar was the Blue Shadow that was also used on the B.6(BS), so the B.16s were probably just former B.6(BS)s. The radar was meant to improve navigation for target marking Canberras, IIRC, but it is odd if they had to plan missions in the way that any landmarks discernible on radar had to be on starboard. Wouldn't this make the flight path somewhat predictable?

• Like 2

I'm not sure what S&M thinking with the wheels is, I know AMP were advised what types got which wheels, but have subsequently seen posts about different types getting wrong bits in the box, make sure your engine fronts and starter bullets are correct.

There are aftermarket B.6 style wheels available from CMK and ResKit if fussy.

The B.16 replaced the stb'd navigators seat with electronics kit.

Another reason why I find these two versions interesting is that there seems to be very little information on them!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

A bit of progress so far:

MWg0Cgt.jpg?1

There's plenty of lead (also some hidden under the cockpit floor) and I think I will add some more to make sure.

Ze7lwRs.jpg?2

With some careful dry-fitting, fit isn't that bad. The simple shape of the Canberra and the general lack of surface detail (on the real thing) will make filling and sanding easier anyway.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2020 at 10:17 AM, limeypilot said:

I'm at work reading this with a colleague who flew B15/16s with 32 Sqn in Akrotiri!

Ian

Interesting! Any photos or stories from that time that your colleague wants to share?

And now with a bit of color and seat belts. As you can see the pilot's seat has received more attention than those in the rear (that's good enough for them, in the B(I).8 only the pilot had a ejection seat...). Technically speaking, I have now committed myself to building a B.15. The B.16 had a different lay-out with radar-related black boxes in the place of the starboard bang-seat, but with the canopy closed not much will be visible anyway.

PiahptH.jpg?1

9DmWewM.jpg?1

• Like 7

The thigh guards on those seats are a bit chunky aren’t they?  I thought that those @#&%$~^<>!!on the seats in the new Buccaneer kit were quite robust but I think these win hands down.  Nicely done office though Doc72.

Edited by stever219
#@%+*€~^<>!!! Auto-incorrect AGAIN!!!
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, Doc72 said:

Interesting! Any photos or stories from that time that your colleague wants to share?

I'm trying to prise details out of him. Hopefully he has some piccies too!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to demonstrate that there is still life in this thread/built:

There is quite a substantial ridge at the trailing edge of the wing. Probably the short-run moulding technology made this necessary, but it needs to be sanded down to achieve a reasonably thin looking trailing edge.

Z4TLOpj.jpg?1

The engraving highlighted in green might make sense on a T.17. I guess, it indicates the position of some air intake or radiator probably to cool the ECM equipment. In any case, I don't think it should be there on any other variant. It is not difficult to remove, of course, but I wish the instructions would mention this.

WwKiFDP.jpg?1

• Like 2

On 2/14/2020 at 1:34 PM, 71chally said:

That would be great, I too would look forward to that.

Did he ever fly with the AS30 missiles do you know?

Unfortunately all his pics are in storage. I'll ask about the AS30s.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Doc72 said:

here is quite a substantial ridge at the trailing edge of the wing. Probably the short-run moulding technology made this necessary, but it needs to be sanded down to achieve a reasonably thin looking trailing edge.

Careful before you start sanding the ridge away, it's a design feature of the kit to help get a thin trailing edge. This ridge is on the lower surface of the upper wing half, and the aft edge is a (relatively) thin trailing edge. The aft edge of the lower wing is square cut and the wing is short in chord by the width of the ridge, the square cut aft edge is supposed to butt up to the forward side of the ridge, leaving a slight overlap of the top wing half forming a sharp trailing edge with a seam line running forward of and parallel to it. You might be better squaring off any flash on the lower wing half aft edge and thinning the inside mating surface so the wing half fits snuggly against the ridge as designed.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 7:29 PM, limeypilot said:

Unfortunately all his pics are in storage. I'll ask about the AS30s.

Ian

The answer to that is yes. Target practice ranges were in Libya!

Ian

• Thanks 1