Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat

Hello all.

Here is another boat I have recently finished, the Airfix 1/72 Severn Class Lifeboat. I have had this in the stash for quite a long time, but back in October I decided to finally give it a go. I had heard numerous stories about it being a difficult kit to get together. First thing I did was check the transfers, and found they were unusable - I had not stored them properly and the instructions had stuck to them. I contacted Airfix and bought a replacement set, and then I was set to go. One online build suggested building the superstructure off the hull, and then fitting the interior and checking the fit by putting the cabin in place. If it did not fit, you know which part was causing the issue! I found that it worked, and a bit of trimming on some internals and all was well.

I brush painted the model, the orange was the most challenging part. I used Revell acrylic and gave it three coats. All looked well. The one other thing that needed work was the dinghy. It was rather plain, so I put a sheet of Kleenex tissue (cut to size) over it, and then smeared thinned PVA over the tissue with a cotton bud. That dried nicely and tautened up the tissue, and gave quite a pleasing result that I was happy with. Here she is:

49451306876_effe93c96a_b.jpg

49451538232_2a9b750af8_b.jpg

49451310416_629c721d0c_b.jpg

49451312331_82dcebd49b_b.jpg

49450834158_98b8181d54_b.jpg

49451546567_80643affc1_b.jpg

I found the original boat (17-28 Torbay lifeboat) was named after Alec and Christina Dykes, so I typed that up in 'Word' at 5pt size onto normal paper, cut it out and attached the two nameplates with PVA, and the boat was done!

49450832498_51ee2ac71b_b.jpg

As for the replacement transfers, they went on well, but I did find the red and yellow stripes split, but a little bit of repositioning sorted that, and I now cannot see where the split occurred. 

All in all, I really enjoyed this one, but if I did another I would leave out a lot of the interior, it would go together even better then, I reckon!

Thanks for looking,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Gidday Ray, very nicely done. She has a very striking colour scheme, but then I guess that is the point, to be easily seen. I don't know much (OK, anything) about these vessels but she looks to me like one that would punch through a wave, rather than sail over it. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Most excellent.

I have one in my stash to do as the boat out of Portrush.

The boat of my town of Donaghadee is a different class, one size smaller but it looks almost the same.

afair this being the larger Severn Class and the Dee boat is a Trent

https://www.donaghadeelifeboat.co.uk/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 2/1/2020 at 2:58 PM, Black Knight said:

Most excellent.

I have one in my stash to do as the boat out of Portrush.

The boat of my town of Donaghadee is a different class, one size smaller but it looks almost the same.

afair this being the larger Severn Class and the Dee boat is a Trent

https://www.donaghadeelifeboat.co.uk/

The two lifeboats local to me at Howth and Dún Laoghaire are Trents as well.  I like to look out for the Howth vessel if I'm returning to Dublin and we're on finals to 28.