A tiny USS Lexington (Trumpeter 1/700)

This is my first ever ship kit.

I managed to pick up this kit very cheap just before Christmas and decided to build it with the PE set from Eduard as a practice ship before embarking on a model of HMS Dianella once I have a better idea of how to make model ships.

Out of the box, I was blown away with everything, the hull come split at the waterline and even has a vac-formed seascape with wake etc for those who want to do a diorama. the tiny aircraft are pretty mind blowing!

I will ping up progress as it happens.

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 1

I am making (very slow) progress but it has been great so far.

A quick shot of the box art to show what I am aiming at!

49456900452_408af53ef7_k.jpg20200126_184801_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

In my capacity as a railway modeller, I always thought I had a least a vague idea about photo etch, however, the scale of ship PE in 1/700 scale is just something else! The railings are a frankly insane~2mm high.

49456900147_1ace8fa248_k.jpg20200125_212923_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

Having vaguely followed the Trumpeter instructions for the hull etc, I decided I needed to get all of the guns etc built and painted to make things easier later so...

49456668346_3476a2bf43_k.jpg20200128_210328_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I also have about half of the 30 odd 20mm guns with armour shields and all of the 28mm gun (I am too scared to count them) to go.

Also, a dim question I now have the lower aft deck and all of the outboard gun platforms finished. do I paint the hull at this point and then add guns before continuing with the flight deck or would I be better off painting it later? 

• Like 11

On 31/01/2020 at 14:03, Bandsaw Steve said:

Nice. I’m always interested in seascapes. I’d be interested in seeing what trumpeter gave you OOB

I have actually decided to make this one as full hull (which I might regret because I too, love seascapes).

Rather than popping up images of my kit because loads of the bits are now off the sprues, take a look at this review:

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/misc/ships/trumpeter/5716preview.htm

And because they miss how it is packed in the box:

49469522827_635a4bf9b2_k.jpg20200131_174943_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 2

I finished all of the Oerlikons, and it turns out Eduard actually include 12 more than you need, so spares ready for a future project!

49476526576_ab48d41584_k.jpg20200202_085317_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The flight deck also got some new netting 

49476526346_4f079a7d54_k.jpg20200201_094705_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

49476529931_71b00d9d47_k.jpg20200202_085448_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 11

On 1/27/2020 at 11:00 AM, OutcastJoel said:

Seeing your work, I never would have believed it.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:09 AM, OutcastJoel said:

Also, a dim question I now have the lower aft deck and all of the outboard gun platforms finished. do I paint the hull at this point and then add guns before continuing with the flight deck or would I be better off painting it later?

Guns and turrets are easy to add after painting as they don't have any gaps that need filling. I would use a PVA glue, as it makes things easy to position and you don't need a structural bond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you airbrushing or brush painting? Ships are a judgement between how to mask and paint different colours versus getting access with a brush. In addition, brushes tend to flood nice fine detail on ship models very quickly and the inconsistent thickness of paint coat becomes fairly obvious.

You haven't left it too late - but I'd be looking to start painting about now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies thank you for the advice. I have actually started painting tonight! I am doing the bulk by airbrush and just doing details by hand.

I joined the hull and flight deck which might turn out to be a bit of a mistake but otherwise it is all still in single assemblies.

I will ping up some photos tomorrow 

Copying photos across from flickr is as clunky as heck on my phone so here are the two best!

49517058668_3448d5db51_k.jpg20200207_163943_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I have left the top of the exhausts off for separate painting so the insides of them can be black.

49517591106_b63b66d07a_k.jpg20200209_205341_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I primed the model tonight using mr surfacer primer and realised I really need an extractor fan... It goes on nicely though!

Some of the PE railings and the odd bits that encircle the hull are hanging sort of loose after priming, i have no idea if this was already the case and the primer shows it up or if the cellulose thinners have upset the CA glue, any ideas? 

• Like 10

I managed to get the boot line on, but had some problems with paint coming away with Tamiya tape.

It now looks like the end is in sight with weathering beginning!

The rust steaks are done with vallejo acrylic which was popped down witha thin brush and then overpainted with thinners to soften the edges. 

49541856317_08476c22f7_k.jpg20200214_214332_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The exhaust staining was an exciting one for me, I used my first dedicated weathering product in the form of an AK wash and I am really chuffed with the effect!

49541641286_d8aab511a7_k.jpg20200214_214353_Film2 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

I am really looking forward to trying my hand at rigging so hopefully will finish the weathering in the next day or two. 

• Like 9

Looking back through photos I realised I had massively overdone the rust, the Lexington was only out of refit in this configuration for about 3 weeks prior to being sunk so whilst the anchor rust is probably ok, the other streaks are far too heavy!

On 1/27/2020 at 7:00 PM, OutcastJoel said:

Well it's looking very good indeed. As Stuart says such things can be sorted. This is really great for a first ever ship kit.

Terry

• Thanks 1

I have been using Ushi Van Der Rosten fine line.

So far I have been really impressed, it stretches loads without placing much in the way of tension on any of the masts.

My CA skills require some refining there are some clumsy blobs about. Does anyone have any guidance on this?

@GrantGoodale I had a bit of a play and discovered that the process below seems to work best for me:

- Place a small amount of CA on a clean surface, scrap plastic seems popular, I use a small pad of pot-it notes.

- Cut Ushi line a little longer than needed.

- Dip one end of line into the CA and attached where needed.

- Stretch the line beyond the other fixing point such that it touches the terminus point.

- Whilst holding in this location, apply a drop of CA using a tooth pick.

- Trim any excess line.

Edited by OutcastJoel