Mig-21 LanceR C - Eduard - 1:72

Czesio

Sometime ago I've started building Romanian Mig-21 LanceR basing on the Eduard Mig-21MF profipack kit in 1:72 scale. 
Lancer is the name for a modernization program for Mig-21 developed by Israeli companies. The most important modifications include : 
- New radar 
- HOTAS system
- HUD display and 2 MFCDs
- Flares and chaff dispenser as well as Radar Warning Receivers
- integration with NATO armament

I plan to build single-seat variant ( C ) as well as a two-seater one. ( B ). Variant C is a relatively simple topic, based on Eduard Miga-21MF, enriched with a Quickboost nozzle, Master pitot tube set and Brassin cockpit. The parts for the conversion will be either scratchbuild using styrene and milliput putty, or 3D printed. 
Decals come from the ParkHobby kit, with the only exception being the roundels which will come from Eduard's kit. 
For the armament I want to use a single fuel tank, two R-550 Magic 2 and two Python 3 missiles made by Res-kit.

hyVblxV.jpg&key=a9a88bbe0d41630934f1b12d

gu4ezde.jpg

RR3pYEv.jpg

The cockpit is already finished.  I've removed all the original details from the right wall and replaced it with 3D printed elements. The instrument panel is entirely 3D printed with instruments decal printed on a photographic paper glued on place using GX100.

X2ofb6t.jpg&key=7c3f33e7088191aba3ea8ab1

Qs9hYv0.jpg&key=a6b81d685bf171ba1d257dba

BQ7vRbP.jpg&key=70f045a2953d941ae6c04727

qQ5IMhQ.jpg&key=22e84012243fbc81db4da3ab
S3wd05A.jpg&key=93065f23a49d9f0bda56128b

AV2xkwW.jpg&key=bcda47cb89e3c10177d2e834

A8QiSgB.jpg&key=e837dc01048912a80d31fb60

6nPTJan.jpg&key=f574d86f32d1587286fa8d70

S4rQMsR.jpg&key=050367986e8b47454a1cca1e

Yesterday I spend the whole day making a cabling cover that is attached on top of the wing. It is made out of 1mm diameter plastic rod, 0.1mm plastic sheet and some Milliput putty. Now I need to sand it to proper shape, and scribe some panel lines.

0Vq8GRG.jpg&key=c99c042095feb9d8315c6ee9

O7oJZVG.jpg&key=59656fdf3eb89893c509c407

xf8TmuO.jpg&key=a3aedcb71f93c81753252cc1

• Like 19

• 4 weeks later...

Building finished, now it's painting time ! 😀
Here is the list of modifications :
- The yellow wiring cover I showed earlier was sanded, also panel lines and rivets were added
- On the right side under the cockpit I have added another wiring cover made out of 1 and 0.1mm HIPS sheet
- I've added a GPS antenna base on top of the spine near vertical stabilizer
- The gun on the belly had two stabilizers which were very poorly made so I filled the original hole and made them 0.2mm HIPS
- I've drilled the gun barells as well as air scoops
- 4 RWR system antennas were added, two on the nose, and another two on the vertical stabilizer. These were made using 1mm HIPS rod. The round tip was sanded in proxxon mini-drill, and I've cut them on angle using RB Tools cutter
- Pitot tube was removed, it will be replaced with injection needle
- Front probe was removed, it will be replaced with Master aftermarket set
- I've added big "shark" antenna on the belly, and two rectangular VOR/ILS antennas on vertical stabilizer

Now I'm going to polish the entire surface and lay some primer. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 12

@Gondor44 I don't understand your question, but I guess you are asking if the ends of this cover are attached ? If so, yes they are. The whole part was glued using Revell contacta and Tamiya Extra Thin so it is basically "welded" onto the fuselage. The cover is perpendicular to the surface so it might look weird on the photos. The flat pieces on the fuselage are 0.1mm thick HIPS, so it is basically as thick as a piece of paper but still I've made a small recess so that the piece is flush with the fuselage. There was a really tiny gap on top of it but it's gone after priming. 

@Marin Thanks, I fixed it. I'm using Formlabs Form2 with Standard Grey V4 resin, printing with 0.05mm layer. 

In the meanwhile the model was primed using Surfacer 1500, then painted black using Tamiya paint, and the preshading was done using white paint. At first I used the Tamiya, but I could not manage to get it to spray properly. Instead I've decided to try Hataka Orange Line and it was a great decision. I was skeptical about these paints but it turned out to be the best paint I have ever tried. (do not confuse Orange Line with red and blue, which are mostly meant for brush application) 

spacer.png 

• Like 5

I've done the upper half of the camouflage.
Paints used : 
White : Hataka Orange Line - Traffic White
Light grey : Gunze H308 80% + Tamiya XF-2 White 12% + Tamiya XF-50 2%
Dark grey Tamiya XF-24 90% + Tamiya XF-2 White 10%

Paints were heavily thinned like 1:10 and all the camo was painted by hand, no masking. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 2/28/2020 at 9:58 PM, Czesio said:

@Gondor44 I don't understand your question, but I guess you are asking if the ends of this cover are attached ? If so, yes they are. The whole part was glued using Revell contacta and Tamiya Extra Thin so it is basically "welded" onto the fuselage. The cover is perpendicular to the surface so it might look weird on the photos. The flat pieces on the fuselage are 0.1mm thick HIPS, so it is basically as thick as a piece of paper but still I've made a small recess so that the piece is flush with the fuselage. There was a really tiny gap on top of it but it's gone after priming. 

@Czesio I was asking if the whole of the duct or what ever it is, if the whole length is fixed to the fuselage or just the end caps?

Gondor