Tamiya P-38F Lightning 1/48

I dip in and out of modelling and it's been ages since I last built anything. My wife bought me the new Tamiya P-38 kit for Christmas and I wanted to start building the moment I opened the box. The kit is so well engineered that it's easy to build with no filler anywhere!

I feel like I've had to learn how to use the airbrush again but the Vallejo ModelAir and Tamiya acrylics are very forgiving. As other builders have said, the kit decals are quite thick - which also meant they stood up to me moving them round a lot! - but they settle in with softener. There is a bit of silvering on the tiny stencils but I can live with that.

I tried using hairspray for the first time to get the wear on the wings around the cockpit - perhaps a bit much given the lack of wear on the rest of the aircraft. I used oils to accent the panel lines and to give a bit of depth to the colours (using dots of colours and then pulling them over the model with a tiny amount of thinners on a wide brush). Overall I'm quite pleased with how it has turned out.

Photos are done on the workbench so not brilliant... I'll do something better ones when the weather is good enough for decent light.

Comments welcome!

IMG_20200126_220634662_Original

IMG_20200126_220644257_Original

IMG_20200126_220732454_Original

IMG_20200126_221118239_Original

• Like 46

That looks really great, you did a fantastic job here!

In fact I got one as a present last week after I managed to crack a wing of the Resin kit I was building... just as I wanted to start to put decals on it. There was a slight problem in the paint and I wanted to polish it out. Hard words were spoken... 

I am collecting information before starting to build the P-38 and only hope I can get it so good as yours!

Top job, I'd say!

Your painting/finishing skills seem to belie your proclaimed "in and out" status.

Well done indeed.

:clap2::thumbsup:

Must say, I would welcome a 1/72 version from Tamiya.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

That looks great to me!  Very nice model work Andy! :clap2:

I'd like to try that oil paint color modulation technique myself; any suggestions or advice to pass along? 

Hi Gary. I spent a few hours online watching 'how to' videos then found this blog, https://www.jonbius.com/2018/06/29/dot-filters-demystifying-the-spots/ , which I followed on the Lightning. The best bit Is that if you don't like the result you can remove it and do something else!

GREAT result Andy

Particularly impressed given your admission to being a 'part timer' - I'm not sure that I am that convinced given the final result !. Nice job with the hairspray technique and subtle weathering/detailing elsewhere.

Well Done, Sir !

5 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

GREAT result Andy

Particularly impressed given your admission to being a 'part timer' - I'm not sure that I am that convinced given the final result !. Nice job with the hairspray technique and subtle weathering/detailing elsewhere.

Well Done, Sir !

Thanks! My last completed model was a Defiant in March 2018 - 

I started the ICM He111 after the Defiant and got scared of all of the clear bits at the front! I'll pick that up again at some point.  My other hobby is stained glass and I've been busy with that - even sold a few bits - so getting the Lightning at Christmas prompted me to get all the modelling stuff out and do a bit more. It's all very relaxing and I'm not that fussed on doing much else than out of the box (although I'm a sucker for some of the Eduard etch...). I like having a go at the weathering although I haven't plucked up courage to try some of the more extreme effects - yet.

I've just bought the 1/48 MikroMir DH88 Comet - my all-time favourite plane. It's a short-run kit so I suspect I'll spend a very long time looking at the bits before getting the knife out. I'm trying to decide what paint to use as it will need a high gloss smooth finish - something I've not done before. I might get a car kit to practice on first...