2004 Corvette Z06 Le Mans Commemorative edition, Revell, 1/25

Got this one under way...

body-ready-for-decals.jpg

body-ready-for-decals-2.jpg

I thought I'd post this because you can clearly see the difference between the Zero basecoat matt, and how the colour changes and gets richer and deeper when you hit it with clearcoat. I've put a light coat of clear where the "go-faster stripe" decals need to go on...

shiny-body-1.jpg

shiny-body-2.jpg

And this is what you get with the clearcoat on. The panel/shut lines are emphasised with the new Citadel "Contast Colours"  Leviadon Blue

Engine/transmission is under construction...

best,

M.

• Like 11

Great colour choice matt. Good idea to show the difference before and after clear coat. Have you tried the gravity paints 2k clear? I have some for my next build it's supposed to be excellent 

Regards Andy 

It's not my habit to do so, and I wouldn't want to being overly critical, but, when your painting and clear coating jobs are amazing (I would like to be so successful ! ), it seems to remain some micro-bubbles or dust underneath the decals  ? Am I mistaken ?

No, you’re not. The decals either didn’t react well to the setting solution, or to the gloss coat applied over the setting solution. I hoped the clear would “melt” them enough to flatten again, but no such luck... Trouble is, the “Diamond Clear” is so darn transparent it works like a magnifying glass! It’s not very obvious in normal light, or from a couple of feet away, so I’m chalking it up to experience, rather than dumping the whole thing in a vat of IPA... it was hard enough to get hold of the kit anyway, so finding a replacement set of decals is not an option...

best,

M.

• Like 1

This is not _all_ I've been working on the last week or so, but the rest is mostly shades of black on the chassis and interior! The engine and transmission in this kit are top-notch.Nearly as good as the best Tamiya (the LFA) in terms of detail and engineering, but let down slightly by the slightly soft moulding and "soapy" plastic...

engine_trans_6.jpg

engine_trans_2.jpg

engine_trans_1.jpg

engine_trans_5.jpg

engine_trans_4.jpg

best,

M.

• Like 6

Good work on that engine. I've had plenty of these engines out of Vettes in the real world and they aint no joke to take out. Motor comes out the bottom and you have to strap the front of the car down to the lift to keep the car from falling off of the lift backwards due to all the weight being removed from the car.

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a lot of painting parts various shades of black, but at last some visible progress to report:

engine-bay-1.jpg

engine-bay-2.jpg

Still some decals to put on, but I think this is about the most accurate and best detailed OOB rendition of a modern engine I've seen in a Revell kit, from either side of the Pond...

front-suspension.jpg

Front suspension, for reference in case anyone else is doing one. Unlike the kit, the instructions are FAR from "accurate and well-detailed", and it took a while to figure out how all this goes together. The drawings are terrible...

underside.jpg

Drops in place very nicely

with-radiator.jpg

The radiator is trickier to get in, without any positive location of the radiator in the chassis or onto the shroud (snorkel, apparently) over the top. In the end, I glues the radiator vertically onto the rear edge of the shroud, and fixed the lower hose to the radiator and the upper one to the engine To get it in place, I tucked the forward lower edge of the snorkel into the chassis frame at the front, and rotated it down until the snorkel hose met the engine and the lower hose could be wiggled into its socket on the engine front. Not fun...

test-fit-in-body-1.jpg

A quick test in the body looks convincing, though...

dash.jpg

Dreadful picture, but a few labels and spots of colour liven up a very grey dash...

cockpit-1.jpg

fifty-shades.jpg

Tamiya Black, NATO Black, Rubber Black, Semi Gloss Black, Citadel Abaddon Black and Black Templar Contrast...not quite fifty shades, but a lot, to create a black cockpit made from different materials.

body-plus-dash-mockup.jpg

Still fits inside the body...

cabin-test.jpg

And looks reasonably convincing through the window...

best,

M.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Tamiya Black, NATO Black, Rubber Black, Semi Gloss Black, Citadel Abaddon Black and Black Templar Contrast

I'm with you there - I'm doing a motorcycle that I feel is nothing but black of varying shades and glossiness - haven't used Nato Black yet though - I'm adding it to the mix!

Martin.

Thanks very much all! On the home straight now, I think:

underside-done.jpg

rear-axle.jpg

chassis-complete-R.jpg

chassis-complete-L.jpg

That's the chassis completed. Fitting the wheels sucks, but a bit of rework got them all on...

assembled-bonnet-open-from-right.jpg

assembled-bonnet-open-from-right-2.jpg

assembled-open-from-above.jpg

closed-up-left.jpg

closed-up-rear-left.jpg

Light details left to add, and then plates, and she'll be done...

best,

M

• Like 4