1/48 Churchill AVRE - Tamiya + 3D Printed conversion.

ScanmanDan

Hi all, here the start of my latest mania.  

Just before Christmas I got my hands on a Elegoo Mars SLA 3D printer.  Like all newbies I went nuts and printed and designed all sorts of doodads and geehaws.  But the work of designer Temma-san on the 1/48scale 3D printing Facebook page really got under my skin.  He has done a ton of work on covering the backdating of the 1/48 scale Tamiya Churchill to earlier marks and even the AVRE.  Now who doesn't want an AVRE in there collection?  So... I jumped in and printed all the parts.

The first part was the turret and that printed out quite well.

spacer.png

Then I tackled the front hull plate.

spacer.png

Some distortion of the lower edge but workable.  I few hours with files chisels and a Dremel got this fitted into the base hull.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I did have to shame the bottom of the hull and fill my poor printing of the part but  It's starting to look the part.

Next was the hull sides.  Now The MkVII as depicted in the Tamiya kit and the earlier marks had a bunch of difference in the hull front panels.  I wasn't game enough to do that much hacking so I have 'cheated' and removed the round side hatch and added the parts as close as I can to where they are meant to go.  Not strictly accurate but it will suffice.

spacer.png

I have a few more tweaks to do but I'm having fun and I think I'll end up with something neat at the end.

I highly recommend these parts for anyone to try this out.  Temma-san has done fantastic work on these and full credit goes to him.

Thanks for having a look.

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Progress;

spacer.png

spacer.png

Part of the downside to getting a new bit of gear is you want to use it all the time.  I've been mucking about with the printer some more.  Tow cable ends. lifting points and some dubious intake covers.  All a lot of fun but slowing me down from getting this one finished.  Well the sides are about done.  a few more details here and there and then on tho the fun bit, painting.

• Like 11

After a horrible week I thought I'd do something simple and fun so I thought to start base coating the AVRE.  I happened to be in the hobby shop and noted they had started to carry the AK range for paints, so in the spirit of why not I picked some up to try.  At first go I think they are okay, I am usually a boring mixed Tamiya acrylics thinned with lacquer thinners kinda guys so I do kind of like all the pretty bright colours AK offers.  I have no idea as to how 'correct' this SCC15 is  but it hardly matters as I'm going to mess with it pretty soon.  I do like that the 3D printed parts seem to have bedded down with only a little work to remove some remaining printing lines.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nice to start getting to the painting stage but lots still to do.
Thanks for looking in.

• Like 10

It's looking really good with the paint on. I wouldn't worry too much about the shade of SCC15. Any vehicle will vary it's shade of green, given the effects of weather, sunlight and of course, squaddies boots clumping all over it. Unless it comes out emerald green or eau de nil, it'll pass muster.

John.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ScanmanDan said:

I have no idea as to how 'correct' this SCC15 is

Having made up Mike Starmer's mixes using both Tamiya and Vallejo, 

a Vallejo mix has been published for SCC 15 -

**Vallejo mix: SCC15 British Olive WWII** (by Alan Brown)

Mix equal parts of 70888 Olive Grey [092] + 70924 Russian Uniform WWII [094]

And Mike Starmer has a revised Tamiya mix and I quote from his post on Missing-Lynx

Tamiya SCC.15 again, new mix

Prompted by the recent enquiry about using Tamiya XF-81 as the British Olive Drab I procured a bottle a short while back and after some extensive trials came up with a more accurate rendition of the much loved (or loathed ) colour. I am pleased to tell that this is easier to make that the previous mix. 5 prts XF81 +1 prt XF58 + 1 prt 71. Thisis a fraction lighter than the standard which makes life a little easier for many no doubt.

and them both being near identical,  assuming the pics are a reasonable match to the colour on the model, that looks reasonable. 

Great work in the Churchill, the printed bits look great.

• Like 1

That looks the beans, I'm not a big fan of 3D printing because I believe it to be removing the skill from model making, but then I'm an old skool scratch builder at heart and have to remember to most that in its self is like a black art that I've sold my soul to be able to do, so good on you for creating this.....

The SCC15 looks to be close to how I'd have it in that scale if I wasn't modulating it, I'd maybe have gone a little lighter if the weathering will be heavy, and if I was pre-shade modulating at the primer coat then the process would naturally make it a lot lighter.

Keep it up, it I like it

Sean

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you John.  Thant's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about one of my builds. :) 

Progress, 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Getting all the details started and mucking about with the oil paints.  I love doing this part of the build, just need to not over do it.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Superb work. The print quality is really impressive, and your build and paint work has turned it into a great model. Sorry if I missed it, but is the spigot mortar printed as well?

cheers,

Jason

• Like 1

Jason _ Thanks, glad you like it.  Yes, the Spigot Mortar was printed.
spacer.png

As was the front armoured plates, the tracks and various other detail parts.  Most were designed by the brilliant designer  Temma-san with a few little parts I designed.  All were printed on my little Elegoo Mars basic printer.

Thanks Alpha Juliet.  If you like this sort of thing I suggest the facebook group  3D48th .  Dedicated to sharing and promoting 3d printing in 1/48th scale armour.  A lovely group of folks discussing and sharing designs, ideas and good cheer about both the design and 3D printing of 1/48th scale armour  bits.  All sorts of designs already on the site with the only provision that you cannot use them for commercial gain.  If you have a 3d printer or are thinking about one I suggest a look see.

Andy - Thanks a million, I'm simply chuffed you like my little hybrid.  Tamiya does a great job on these 1/48th scale kits.  A joy to build.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, ScanmanDan said:

Andy - Thanks a million, I'm simply chuffed you like my little hybrid.  Tamiya does a great job on these 1/48th scale kits.  A joy to build.

You've got a lot to answer for though Dan. You've had me looking at Elegoo printers all morning, and I think my will power may be starting to crack. Being stuck at home might turn out to be expensive😬

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScanmanDan said:

...designed by the brilliant designer  Temma-san with a few little parts I designed.  All were printed on my little Elegoo Mars basic printer.

If you like this sort of thing I suggest the facebook group  3D48th .  Dedicated to sharing and promoting 3d printing in 1/48th scale armour.  A lovely group of folks discussing and sharing designs, ideas and good cheer about both the design and 3D printing of 1/48th scale armour  bits.  All sorts of designs already on the site with the only provision that you cannot use them for commercial gain.  If you have a 3d printer or are thinking about one I suggest a look see.

Hi Dan - thanks for the heads up - will certainly have a look.  Keep up the good work and stay safe!  AJ

• Like 1

Andy - They are a lot of fun, though have a look at the Anycubic too.  I would say between the two it is more a function of support for things like replacement LCD screens and resin that might be most important.  I get all my stuff from Amazon as they import the Elegoo Mars into Australia.  Your milage my vary.  Might I also suggest looking into Fusion 360 if you don't have any 3d drawing software to hand.  Because being able to design your own parts/models really, really opens up the possibilities.    Think, design and print... It's a powerful combination.  It doesn't replace traditional scratchbulding it compliments it very well.  But then like all converts I'm a bit of a zealot :) 

Here's a little cart I scaled down from the 1/35 scale Miniart version.  All done in Fusion 360 and printed with the Elegoo Mars.

spacer.png

Like I said I'm pretty hooked on this stuff as a great adjunct to traditional modelling.

• Thanks 1

Working from home means no commute which means more bench time.

Progress;
First pass of highlights and shadows done with oil paints.  Now a quick rest to dry off then a stain varnish before pin washes and splatters.  No chips or rust on this one as I want a lean, clean, machine.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in.
Dan

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...