Marivox Saab 105 1:72

reini

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

The Austrians were also grounded for some bolts with cracks this winter as well, but if I remember correctly in the vertical stab, need to check... maybe the same issue after all!

According to Flugrevue it's been the bolts that connected the tail with the mid section, and the same issue like in Sweden.

I think this will be an option when I build mine. I mean, in "tail-off"-state... 😉

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, reini said:

Could it be that it is more prominent brand new? Or at certain point of fading?

In my (limited) experience the blue mostly fades to green. The olive green on the other hand seems much more resistant to the elements, but might loose some green and go more drab. Here's one still in the care of the Air Force, kindly giving us a somewhat aged blue paint on the nose and a more aged one just below the canopy.

eDqA7pO.jpg

Then for a very heavily faded and sun-bleached example there's this one sitting outside of the Flyg&Lotta museum in Jämtland.

Il4Qd3P.jpg

A heavily faded example of a Draken (same paints) where the not-longer-blue hasn't gone quite so chalky can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hjakse/22854678995/

Hopefully that may be of some help, as uncertain as colour photos are.

• Like 5

@Parrahs Thanks for the pics! :) It shows that the blue is the first to go, like with the national insignia. I would imagine they touch up those more often than the actual camo paint - but there is literally no blue left on the planes that are just sitting down. I will see how the 'blue' look on the model and adjust it if need be.

spacer.png

I painted the undersurface with neutral gray. As there are no panel lines I wanted to break out the surface just a little bit and create little variation - so I painted some 'shade' areas on the corners.

spacer.png

Smoothen out so the effect is not too stark. And now I noticed I forgot to paint the bottom of the elevator... 😕 

• Like 10

The underside looks great, your prep work was prefect, you can't see any joins in the paint.

Gosh the way the paint fades so easily.....you lot had better not come down under!!! I'd hate to be responsible to what would happen to you lot in the sun on the beaches!! I mean hanging out looking at all the bikini girls....you'd probably go up in a puff of flames after a few minute on the beach!! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Blue is very prone to fading it seems. The UK railway operator back in around the 1970's decided to paint their locos in blue and the carriages in blue and grey and they faded badly.

Pete

26 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

The underside looks great, your prep work was prefect, you can't see any joins in the paint.

Gosh the way the paint fades so easily.....you lot had better not come down under!!! I'd hate to be responsible to what would happen to you lot in the sun on the beaches!! I mean hanging out looking at all the bikini girls....you'd probably go up in a puff of flames after a few minute on the beach!! :D

Thanks Rich!

Pfft, little sunshine - you try coming here where the weather actually changes. :P Be it rain, snow ... or -20 celsius or +30 celsius. And everything in between  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, reini said:

I painted the undersurface with neutral gray. As there are no panel lines I wanted to break out the surface just a little bit and create little variation - so I painted some 'shade' areas on the corners.

Note to myself - get a new scribing blade, before starting mine. This will need brute force.

But your preshading does the job, really looking great.

Apart from needing so much putty that it could be the work of a master mason, the strange imbalance between so many little parts and the crude surface is one of the things that kept me shying away from starting it. I will take this as a lesson in zen meditation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Apart from needing so much putty that it could be the work of a master mason, the strange imbalance between so many little parts and the crude surface is one of the things that kept me shying away from starting it. I will take this as a lesson in zen meditation

It is indeed a strange kit - suprisingly detailed in someparts (even if somewhat crude), and lacking all details elsewhere.

But im relatively hopeful that after all this work it will turn out OK :)

• Like 2

Thanks Rich :)

Painting continues

spacer.png

Added some shading/color variation to the green.

spacer.png

And masked the green areas in preparation for the blue black. I like masking. I probably like it because of the final step, which is quite satisfying - taking off the masking tape. But still :D 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Couldn't wait, had to take the masking tape off! :D 

spacer.png

... and, once again, I'm having little 'colour hesitation'. What do you think about the colours? Should they be darker? Different colours all together? Or should I just roll with these colours? :hmmm:

Oh and don't mind about the tail, I still need to paint the metallic sections back there. And leading edges etc.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, reini said:

... and, once again, I'm having little 'colour hesitation'. What do you think about the colours? Should they be darker? Different colours all together? Or should I just roll with these colours? :hmmm:

To me this looks good, my guess it will darken and blend together with the washing. I'd keep it and move on.

And yes, this definitely comes out fine and gives hope, that something beautiful can be created with this strange lumps of plastic. 😉

• Like 1

Colour matching is never easy. I reckon you could use twenty reference photos and still be a little confused. I agree that the clear coat will certainly darken both colours but Christer does make a good point about the tonal difference between the two colours not being as great. It’s so hard to say, but this is looking like another cracking build in the making. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

it doesn't look too bad to me either, nice job with the painting.:thumbsup:

If you are really worried about colour separation, then just mist over a very very thin coat of either colour, to either lighten or darken the other colour. It will help reduce the separation difference.

But fading will definitely bring those colours closer together.

Now if you lot just stuck to plan old Dark Green/Neutral Grey/Dark Brown, then everything would be fine and simple!!! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks all for comments & advice! :)

I did repaint the Gnat - but I felt like moving on with this one. I feel like weathering might bring it together little bit more - not necessarily worried about the colors as such, but the slightly too big color separation. But then again it tends to look kinda better on a model even if not 100% accurate. I don't know. We will see how it all turns out :)

spacer.png

Did some work on the landing gear. 

spacer.png

Still not sure where everything should go - but I've come to expect that with this kit :D I will have to find suitable places to glue those rest of the bits once I put the main landing gear on the plane. The main landing gear struts used to have locating pints but they were devoured by the sprue gates. I can already see lots of swearing, Nothing to correctly align the landing gear doors (or any indication where anything should go) but we will see. I can already see CA glue sticking in fingers and wrong bits, bits falling on the floor (and getting glued down)... sigh... :weep:

spacer.png

Also had a setback. I was at a hobby event yesterday and thought I'd try Mig's Lucky clear coat - but I was quite unlucky with it. Once I got a nice coat on, it just started pulling apart and pooling on the corners :S I'm not sure what the heck happened! Been using the same airbrush with other acrylics stuff (Vallejo) withouth any problems.

spacer.png

I put another clear coat on (Vallejo) - but it hardly made any difference. With light sanding and reapplying the clear coat I got it 'ok'. Not as it used to be but hey ho, this is modelling, sometimes stuff happens... :angry:

spacer.png

Moving on, I masked the areas for metal around the engines....

spacer.png

....and black for the wing leading edges.

spacer.png

Masking tape off.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

very nice!!

Mmmm they say modelling is meant to be a fun and relaxing hobby  :angry:  ........when find the person that said that!!! :fight:

Least you're nearly there and it's looking awesome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Mmmm they say modelling is meant to be a fun and relaxing hobby  :angry:  ........when find the person that said that!!! :fight:

Haha :D Tell me about it. But I'm not too stressed about this build, just happy getting it done as it's a challenge in itself.

Speaking of which, even the decals are fighting a bit - but they are mostly on now so yay! :D

• Like 1

spacer.png

This is all the kit provided info about decals. It's quite hilarious that they've put numbers on decals - but no reference on the numbers can be found from the actual kit instructions :D Oh well, there are not too many so we can figure things out using the good old interweb.

spacer.png

Despite applying liquid decal film on the decals, they tended to crack. Especially the dayglo. Kinda regret not painting them on but hey ho.

spacer.png

There are quite a few imperfections and cracks in the dayglo decals - but thanks to my shaky pic, they can't be seen here :D Decals are on...

spacer.png

But as I was applying matt coat - things went wrong (again).. I got 'frosty' effect, not sure if because of the matt coat or I hadn't done very good job of cleaning the airbrush but it doesn't look too good now... :angry:

I'm starting to be on the edge of my interest with this build so I think I will just commence with the weathering and see if it tones down the frosted effect. Sigh.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, reini said:

I'm starting to be on the edge of my interest with this build so I think I will just commence with the weathering and see if it tones down the frosted effect. Sigh.

To quit is never an option sir! Just carry on. 

A bit of weathering is always a good solution to hide imperfections, as are shaky pics 🙂 

Did the matt coat match the paint? I mean, both acrylic? Matt coats can be a pain sometimes, you really need to shake well for some products to make sure the matting agent is properly mixed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This one really is fighting you until the very end :( That frosty effect from the matt coat is authentic for a cold Swedish morning though ;) 

• Haha 4