Marivox Saab 105 1:72

reini

On 06/02/2020 at 17:43, Courageous said:

Ah, this is what modelling is all about. You wouldn't be happy if it all fell together. I'm sure that once you've had a round of filler, a file, it'll scrub up just fine.

Stuart

You are right, it is quite rewarding. But then again - sometimes it's nice that the pieces actually fit :D 

• Like 1

arrr yeah!!! those instruction look super vague and perfectly match parts that are super vague as well!! :blink:

I've just been reading reviews on this model....eeekk!!!

But it's nothing filler, sanding and strong alcohol can't fix! :D Consider it a soul building exercise.

All that aside it is going along nicer, great work, keep it up.

• Like 2

Haha, thanks  guys! :D That is a solid tip, need to make sure I have strong alcohol at hand when continue the build... not sure about the brand suggested by @Parrahs though. I usually only drink stuff that doesn't require you to wear gloves :D

• Haha 3

Not sure about you guys but my builds always seem to slow down when there is sanding to do :P

spacer.png

But i got the first round of sanding done - got the biggest holes plugged.

spacer.png

So added superglue to the joints, round two of sanding is about to commence...

That's all for this time, hoping to get the intakes & wings on soon so it will start to look like a plane. Also purchased the paints, I think I will do a test paint with them.

Edited by reini
  • Like 6

Sorry for the double post - but I felt continuing with this build.

spacer.png

Sanding done. For now, that is.

spacer.png

Worst parts were around the engine covers. Good thing is that there isn't really any details - so you can't sand them away :P

spacer.png

Wing had a really tight fit. Like 'snapped the seam open' -tight. No worries, some CA glue to fill it later.

spacer.png

Fitting the intakes, I knew this was going to be bit of a work. Right one needed some fitting and sanding and was more or less OK. Left one did not want to cooperate.

spacer.png

This is as far as I took them - it was obvious that they would need putty in any case so I wasn't too worried. The alignment was good too...

spacer.png

... and the fit was good-ish on the bottom, so I glued them on.

spacer.png

Lets use all the different kinds of putty on this plane :) Spread around with my trusty spreading tool made from sprue...

spacer.png

I also did some paint testing.

spacer.png

Looks pretty good, right? They should be the 'Draken colors'.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, reini said:

Like 'snapped the seam open' -tight.

That happened to me too. There really isn't much keeping the fuselage together up there. My solution was to glue it back together and then fill the seam with stretched sprue to simply have more plastic holding things together. As for the paints, hm, maybe a touch extra blue in the blue as a completely non-expert opinion?

• Like 1

OOOOOOHH!!! that does look nasty! It may have been a safer option to do something like @Parrahs did and use sprue to fill the gaps as you may end up with the filler cracking or more likely shrinking. 

But at least your bashing it into submission!

Those colour look good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

OOOOOOHH!!! that does look nasty! It may have been a safer option to do something like @Parrahs did and use sprue to fill the gaps as you may end up with the filler cracking or more likely shrinking. 

But at least your bashing it into submission!

Those colour look good.

Haha, thanks :D I will add another 'putty' layer once that has been sanded, Other 'putty' being superglue which seems to be good for hiding small blemishes that normal putty sometimes misses and creates a hard non-shrinking surface.

On 28/01/2020 at 19:13, exdraken said:

Very nice, but difficult project!

Those kits were hard to get recently but Hannats got some in last Autumn :)

they should even come with a nice,, but thick PE fret...

I’ve just ordered one from Hannants to go in my Austrian Air Force project.

i was thinking it’s going to be a bit of an odd project, as there are a number of helicopters either in or were in service by the Austrians that I doubt I’ll do, and also it’s quite heavily Swedish laden, with the Tunnan, Draken, Safir and 105.

I’m looking forward to keeping up with your build, Reini, always nice to see how others solve problems! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I’ve just ordered one from Hannants to go in my Austrian Air Force project.

i was thinking it’s going to be a bit of an odd project, as there are a number of helicopters either in or were in service by the Austrians that I doubt I’ll do, and also it’s quite heavily Swedish laden, with the Tunnan, Draken, Safir and 105.

There also was a Saab B17 in Austrian Service for a short time.....

https://gotech.at/saab_b17.htm

And Austrian Pilots operated the Viggen for some time in Sweden... if you really want to be complete. ... ;)

as far as I know, the most complicated one to achieve is the Fiat G.46... no kit available currently in any scale...

https://www.gotech.at/fiat_g46.htm

have fun!

if you are in need for decals ipms Austria has some, as well as brentair decals....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, exdraken said:

There also was a Saab B17 in Austrian Service for a short time.....

https://gotech.at/saab_b17.htm

And Austrian Pilots operated the Viggen for some time in Sweden... if you really want to be complete. ... ;)

as far as I know, the most complicated one to achieve is the Fiat G.46... no kit available currently in any scale...

https://www.gotech.at/fiat_g46.htm

have fun!

if you are in need for decals ipms Austria has some, as well as brentair decals....

The B17? I thought "a licence built fortress?" until I saw the photo .....

The G.46 reminded me of the G.55 WW2 fighter in the shape of the cockpit fairing, no kit available? 

and thanks for the heads up on decals, I had several sets from IPMS Austria at Telford last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

The B17? I thought "a licence built fortress?" until I saw the photo .....

And then there's the Danes who swapped out the J for an F when they got some J35 Drakens. SAAB, setting trends. Note also the internal weapons bay on the B17, for the radar cross section I'm sure... :whistle:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Parrahs said:

And then there's the Danes who swapped out the J for an F when they got some J35 Drakens. SAAB, setting trends. Note also the internal weapons bay on the B17, for the radar cross section I'm sure... :whistle:

Had a meeting with some guys from the Austrian Defense Ministry recently, they claimed for themselves being famous for insisting on an OE version of everything as well.

Btw, did we break the record for running the Draken the longest period of avtive duty for a jet fighter plane? Or with the 105 OE right now?

And no, we didn't have B17. Well, at least not right now in active duty...

• Like 2

We also have the Eurofighter Tranche1 OE.... Overly Expensive....  at least it is also the least capable of all the versions....

at least they have some external tanks now... and 1-2 IRIS-T for each of the 15 strong force....

the Saab 105 is set to retire next year... the SK60 is to soldier on a bit longer afaik....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

We also have the Eurofighter Tranche1 OE.... Overly Expensive....  at least it is also the least capable of all the versions....

at least they have some external tanks now... and 1-2 IRIS-T for each of the 15 strong force....

the Saab 105 is set to retire next year... the SK60 is to soldier on a bit longer afaik....

Let's say we have the most "peaceful" versions. I've heard it was configured by some "Zivildiener" (consciientious objectors, who do service in hospitals or the like) a few years back then. But let's go not in any discussion about this.

But I've forgot that the SK60 is still in service as well. And the US are still operating some U2s, so maybe these are the oldest plane still in service?

1 hour ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Let's say we have the most "peaceful" versions. I've heard it was configured by some "Zivildiener" (consciientious objectors, who do service in hospitals or the like) a few years back then. But let's go not in any discussion about this.

But I've forgot that the SK60 is still in service as well. And the US are still operating some U2s, so maybe these are the oldest plane still in service?

Yeah, what ever.... at least the EFs are still flying and mission capable for the time being.....

https://www.diepresse.com/5770321/eurofighter-airbus-sagt-gesprach-ab-ministerin-pruft-klage

sorry, only German and already very off-topic!

I assume the B-52s are quite unbeatable as combat aircraft in respect to longevity...

but the Saab 105 is Austria is also still used as a primary air defence/ patrol asset.... the SK60 is not obviously ;)

• Haha 1

The Sk60 lost it's secondary light attack role some 20 years back. This winter the entire fleet was grounded due to som problems with the wings, I think some cracks have been found in the Wing spar or similar.

Flygvapnet really needs a new trainer now!

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

The Sk60 lost it's secondary light attack role some 20 years back. This winter the entire fleet was grounded due to som problems with the wings, I think some cracks have been found in the Wing spar or similar.

The Austrians were also grounded for some bolts with cracks this winter as well, but if I remember correctly in the vertical stab, need to check... maybe the same issue after all!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

Didn't Saab made a new trainer in co-operation with Boeing that got chosen as a new trainer for USAF? That could be possible option.

spacer.png

Some holes were left behind from Tamiya putty...

spacer.png

Some CA glue to fill & smoothen out the edges.

spacer.png

And more sanding...

spacer.png

Here's the bottom, after some sanding...

spacer.png

Here's some more CA glue. Needs more sanding! 

spacer.png

Here's.... eh... I forgot already. Probably needs some sanding. Or was just sanded. Or needs more putty. Can't tell anymore...

spacer.png

I glued the tail - and noticed it had quite substantial sink marks. Sigh. Off it came and will receive some putty. And yes, you guessed it, sanding.

spacer.png

The sprues are chunky to say it lightly. The sprue gates flow over the parts and practically swallow the smallest ones. Plastic is also quite brittle - and this combined with really tight part layout and huge sprue gates - this is not the first part I've snapped in half. Many of the parts are also weird '2D' - so they are missing all shape and detail on the other side. Well, no-one said this is gonna be a Tamiya kit.

spacer.png

I dare to say I'm ready for basecoat (apart from the tail). That's good because I was getting bit fed of all the sanding. Which was quite excessive in some parts. But- truth to be told - very little/non existent in some parts. Like the fuselage itself went together beautifully. It was all the bits that was glued onto the fuselage that was giving bit of a hard time. I made some changes to the antennas that I fitted that were suggested in the manual - I looked some pics of 80's Swedish air force SK60B's and made my decision based on those pics. There were still some variation but I chose one reference pic - even if it isn't the same individual plane that is offered with the kit.

Speaking of which, I had a look at the decals and got really worried. So I put them back swiftly. I just hope they work...

@Parrahs I have to do some more testing with the colors. Looking at the pics, the 'blue' is not very well visible either. Could it be that it is more prominent brand new? Or at certain point of fading?

• Like 6