Marivox Saab 105 1:72

reini

It's not a Viggen or Draken... but It's a SAAB! 

spacer.png

Saab 105 - or Sk60 as it's called in the Swedish air force. Cool little thing, I came by this kit by accident. I had just built a Viggen (old Hasegawa) that I took to my hobby club meeting and one of the participants gave me this, apparently it was obvious I needed more Saabs :D Been sitting on my stash for a year and I had a look recently and I liked what I saw. No idea how the parts fit, but if they do, should be fun.

spacer.png

Back of the box with the colouring instructions. Might need to look some reference photos online. I was thinking of doing Sk60B with normal camo - but kinda tempted to go with the recce version too.

spacer.png

What's in the box. Manual, decal sheet, two sprues and one clear sprue. Simple stuff.

spacer.png

It's all just a bit thick and chunky - including the sprue frames. And bit devoid of details. But I'm sure there'll be a good kit here, just needs some care putting it together.

spacer.png

Lot's of weapons! Which is nice, might use those aden gun pods for a Viggen. And no, those are not wonky looking sidewinders, but apparently somekind of heavy rockets. Notice three different noses . One is for the basic version, one for the recce one - and not sure about the one.

spacer.png

Clear parts. 

spacer.png

Manual is quite chaotic at first glance - but I'm sure there is a method to this madness!

spacer.png

Decal sheet. It looks bit dodgy, it's not really showing in the photo. But we will see, looks can be deceiving with decals.

Neat little kit. Will be OOB pretty much, plan to do this as clean and simple build.

• Like 11

Ah cool! Always liked the look of the SAAB 105/Sk 60 so delighted to see you having a crack at one. The kit parts remind me of a Matchbox product for some reason.

• Like 1

welcome with this beauty Reini, gosh you're now teasing me!

I so want a 1/48th version of one of these, Pilot Replicas keep promising one.

It doesn't look a bad model for it's age and you get the opinions to do all the variants as well.

good luck with her, this will probably be the only one we'll see in this GB, so look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 2

That looks so nice and something that would really tempt me to have a go at one of these Marivox kits. The demonstrator scheme would be my pick!! 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

I had a quick look at the box and couldn't resist putting on some glue & paint.

spacer.png

Ejector seats are made out of these pieces.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cockpit parts got some quick paint on. But it seemed to stick poorly - so I think I will do the good old soap wash to the sprues before I continue. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

strange looking seats...are the wee green things the head rests?

They are indeed. Maybe now they make more sense:

spacer.png

Base colors down, next some washes and minor weathering. I'll probably add some belts and ejection seat handles - but I'm going mostly with the box offerings on this one.

Here is pics of the real seats: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031630-172-saab-105-ejection-seat/ (post #8)

• Like 8

spacer.png

Ejection seat handles made out of plasticard rod.

spacer.png

And also some basic Tamiya tape belts with plasticard buckles.

spacer.png

Seats are rather large - and my additions to them did not help. I had to cut them down a little bit and adjust the headrest on a lower position. Still tight but canopy closes.

spacer.png

More paint on the cockpit. Still not done but getting there.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, trickyrich said:

the seats look great.......but boy it looks cozy in there.....they'd be very good friends after a long flight!!!!

Yes, and there is a four seater version too :) Not with jump seats though!

- - - - - - 

Office is pretty much finished.

spacer.png

Before closing the fuselage, the little side windows need to be installed. As you can see, they don't do particularly good job of being the same size as the window opening. Nor being very clear for that matter :P 

spacer.png

But with little shaping, they fit. Nasty little sink mark on the middle but not much I can do about it.

spacer.png

Cockpit parts ready for assembly.

spacer.png

And this is how they look when in place. Not glued yet. Instructions say to close the fuselage at this point, but I need to check the construction more carefully to see that I'm not doing anything to complicate the build later on. I expect some heavy sanding, filling and part fitting ahead so I'll see if there's something I can do to help that out already at this point.

• Like 10

On 1/26/2020 at 9:18 PM, reini said:

stay positive :D

Absolutely, Reini. It has all the makings of a good model. It loks like the nose area needs careful placement. It will be a nice and unusual addition to your collection.

Martin

• Like 1

Thanks Martin! :)

- - - - - 

A question of colors I forgot to ask. Instructions state the colors as such:

Dark Olive Green - FS34086

Dark Blue Grey - FS35042

Light Grey - FS36173

Are these the same colors as in Draken? Does anyone have good suggestions for the colors themselves - preferably Vallejo. Vallejo suggestions based on the FS numbers are as such:

Dark Olive Green - FS34086 -> 71.292 US Loam

Dark Blue Grey - FS35042 -> 71.195 USN Sea Blue

Light Grey - FS36173 -> 71.051 Neutral Gray

I only have Neutral Gray out of these colours, which looks to be good for this purpose.

Any help appreciated - can post here or in the reference thread :)

• Like 1

The colors used on Sk60 are the same as for Draken, but did weather a little less for some reason (or the Sk60 was better cared for).

Those FS numbers looks to be exactly as IPMS Stockholm recommends them so go for that :)

Very nice looking little cockpit you have there. Good job!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Christer A said:

The colors used on Sk60 are the same as for Draken, but did weather a little less for some reason (or the Sk60 was better cared for).

Those FS numbers looks to be exactly as IPMS Stockholm recommends them so go for that :)

Very nice looking little cockpit you have there. Good job!

Thanks! I will give them a go and see how they look :)

spacer.png

I decided it was safe to continue on gluing the fuselage, fit seemed okay. Kinda looks like some strange animal :D 

spacer.png

My Tamiya Extra Thin is almost empty and the brush doesn't want to lift any glue anymore - so I had to dig out my old Slater's Mek-Pak that seems to work still fine.

I actually did some work on all my WIP models today, and SK 60 was one that probably got the least work done. But now I can start putting on more parts and see how it all comes together. The engines seem bit scary four+ part affair but I have to take a closer look...

• Like 5

gosh that looks like some sort of medieval torture going on there!

You know that liquid cement is now probably banned throughout the EU!!! Now officially available in the UK!!  :rofl2:

• Haha 4

I thought this kit was looking to be quite simple build so far - but it's finally showing it's true colors.

spacer.png

There's the exhaust and the coverings for it. Instructions tell pretty much nothing about the actual location of the exhaust in comparison to the covers - it even indicates a part that would practically go INSIDE the cover - but I doubt that is the case. To help things out, there is nothing that the actual exhaust goes onto - it's practically on thin  air. See that roughly exhaust shaped inlet on the fuselage? To help things out, it's just enough bigger than the exhaust so it's absolutely of no help trying to glue the exhaust on - let alone help align it.

spacer.png

Dry fitting was... inconclusive to say the least :D  Impossible to say whether the parts fit as you have to juggle around three different parts that have no practical way of connecting to eachother. So I looked a pic and decided that the exhaust end would be aligned with the covering edge (there are separate parts for the actual nozzle that protrudes a little bit) - and pulled out the glue.

spacer.png

And they are on! Well, kinda. You see the ragged edges, parts tend to thin down towards the edges and some have already broken - or will broke if you try to tidy them. No matter, it's glued down and looks about right. I can tidy up the rest.

spacer.png

Both are on. I also masked and glued the canopy - to protect it from the furious sanding that is to be done. Fit looks pretty awful here - but on the underside it's actually quite good. 

spacer.png

First round of fillers just to cover the biggest holes.

spacer.png

Also worked on the nose. Which too has absolutely no indication where the nose wheel attachment point should go - but I will figure it out.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1