1/24 Moke Prisoner Taxi

Following on from my previous build of a standard Mk.1 Moke, see RFI post. I'm now progressing with the version as seen on TV. I've got ahead of myself on this build, hence no WIP photos of how the body goes together. As the photo shows it's mostly been painted, Halfords primer and Citroen Polar white [as I had a can handy] with some smaller parts remaining for detail painting or a coat of Molotow chrome.

The tub is a one piece casting with separate grille and bonnet. Added to this is the differently raked windscreen, bumpers with mounts and the centre crossmember in the tub. I've used a full engine block from another kit as I had planned on detailing it and leaving the bonnet open, but plans have changed, a resin sump is supplied. The canopy is a longer version and the seats have solid backs to allow for easier application of the decals for the striped fabric covers, along with a disc for the spare wheel. There are some other minor differences over the standard Moke and I'm sure the keen eyed will spot those.

Now the topcoat of paint and lacquer is dry next up is fitting the subrames, suspension and then some interior decals.

spacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
title change
  • Like 10

Saw a lot of these around here in the day and this is looking to be a cracker!

Thanks for the comments. Yes many of the 1960's programmes were a bit wired, probably something to do with smoking strange cigarettes?

Small accident with this today whilst doing some touching in of the paintwork, my juggling resulted in a broken screen frame but at least it didn't hit the floor. Now repaired with the miracles of modern adhesive. The running gear should be in soon so I'll post more photos when completed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Disaster averted! Good for you.

BTW I meant to ask. I don't remember the wood effect on the sides (though it was a long time ago) was it the old sticky back plastic, so beloved of Blue Peter?

There are videos of original Prisoner episodes on YouTube, I think the wood effect was fablon, or similar judging by the standard of the other tv props. I think proper wood veneer would have been to much weight for the engine 😂. Wood & Pickett did the conversion of 6 Mokes for the series.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh! The Prisoner!

Loved it. I think I was about 12/13 at the time I watched it ('67, first time around)

Didn't understand it then, and I still didn't understand it when they re-transmitted it back in the 80's (I think) either!

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

was it the old sticky back plastic, so beloved of Blue Peter?

The BBC weren't allowed to say Fablon. So the above was how they described it when they demonstrated how to build stuff from Cornflake* boxes etc.

*All the brand names had to be covered with black tape too! But we knew what they were. :laugh:

On 2/6/2020 at 5:06 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

*All the brand names had to be covered with black tape too! But we knew what they were. :laugh:

Yes, often it was more fun spotting what was behind the tape than seeing what they made.

So today I thought a mild oil wash of the underside of the Moke was called for, so I grabbed the tube of paint and some enamel thiiners, it's not thinning, NO READ THE LABEL! Clean up the brush and try white spirit and it's not thinning, NO READ THE LABEL!! Clean up the brush and scratch my head, I read the label and that tube is acrylic paint! YES YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THE LABEL!!! Grab the tube of oil paint and the corect thinners and job done.

• Haha 1

A little more painting/spraying on various bits. The Chrome is Molotow straight onto bare resin for the hubcaps, headlamp bezels/bowls and wing mirrror.  Motolita wheel rim acrylic base colour with oil wash + gloss varnish, Molotow spokes - I need a spider's  leg to add the chrome to the rivets on the wheel rim! Now onto the second masking of the canopy stripes.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Thanks for all the postive feedback. It's done, with some subtle pastel weathering for  the sandy beach scene, apart from adding the canopy. Here are some photos before that happens, next post will be in the RFI section once I get some sand for a base. I could do with finding a white ball for the thing that used to chase the errant inmates in the Village.

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6