Creating a steppe landscape

McBev

Hello all,

Novice here, seeking to recreate a steppe setting for various dioramas. 

Does anyone have any advice and tips on how to create the flooring and grasses to replicate landscapes such as these (below).

Thanks for the help :) 

spacer.pngspacer.png

What scale?

Have a look for 'static grass' as I think that's the only way you're going to do it. This is one of my attempts with static grass. 

553974-20442-36.jpg

You would need a static grass applicator, but they can be made or bought quite cheaply. Make sure you use more than one colour and length of grass to make it look more realistic.

• Thanks 2

On 1/26/2020 at 11:26 AM, Gorby said:

What scale?

Have a look for 'static grass' as I think that's the only way you're going to do it. This is one of my attempts with static grass. 

553974-20442-36.jpg

You would need a static grass applicator, but they can be made or bought quite cheaply. Make sure you use more than one colour and length of grass to make it look more realistic.

OMG I thought that was a real life photo until I read the text.  That’s incredible.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nigel

Buy a static grass appliciator and relevant grass. Then put down a plaster base if you want tank tracks etc add them when the plaster begins to set and holds shape. Then get a mix of fine ballast and mid grit and chuck a couple of coarser stones in there, nothing MASSIVE, FYI Ikea do decent options cheap in their plant/plastic plant sections. I use a mix of Woodland scenics fine ballast, ikea white sandy stuff (probably double the size of the ballast) and ikea crushed lava rock (smaller chunks). Probably like a 60/30/10% and mix through. Cover the base in PVA and then sprinkle this on. When its dry soak it all in a 50/50 water pva mix and let it all dry. Then comes the painting, spray/brush paint it a mid brown ish tone, then stick a dark brown wash over that (let them both dry COMPLETELY) then a heavy dry brush with a light brown/tan/creamy colour.This should then give you a good base to work from. From there simply paint the PVA where you need it and sprinkle the static grass on as per 100s of youtube vids. I find a couple of different grass colours and lengths mixed together look best with the colour your aiming for being the main one. then add odds and sods as you please from there, leaves and plants etc. Hope it helps, its my go too tactic for easy generic grass bases.

IMHO A static grass applicator is a great investment, Its a bit of a outlay but totally worth it as it can really make a dio or a base really stand out. Plus help take the eye away from any wonkey eyes or squiffy paint jobs ;)

This is the kit ive got

https://www.war-world.co.uk/product.php/the_new_pro_grass_micro_static_grass_applicator_with_embankment_kit/?k=:::6702447:0

You can just sprinkle it on through a seive without the expense of an applicatior but ive not tried that.

Also get one of these too, they are cool little bits of kit.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/603882940/miniature-leaf-punch-grey-leave-maker?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_b-craft_supplies_and_tools-other&utm_custom1=_kenshoo_clickid_&utm_content=go_325949688_20231944488_88478152968_pla-106551294035_c__603882940engb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3abatdy15wIVArTtCh0c5QOnEAQYBSABEgLACfD_BwE

Stick a few loose leaves on a weathered AFV and it goes a long way.

Heres a couple of my recent applications

Jagdpanther wip

20200201_233427 Barbarossa rest stop dio 20190917_192451 stormfiends

Edited by Red Five
  • Like 1

Although Red Five's results are pretty amazing, it is possible to use real soil if you don't want to buy ballast.

As the photos are hosted on Google Photos I'm not sure if they are visible to anyone other than me - I'll update them if they aren't working.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Although Red Five's results are pretty amazing, it is possible to use real soil if you don't want to buy ballast.

As the photos are hosted on Google Photos I'm not sure if they are visible to anyone other than me - I'll update them if they aren't working.

Great Link. Ive always found soil to be either too big or too crumbly tbh, but this experiment is cool and i shall maybe look to give it a go. However as with evething Ikea ive got aboutr 3 metric tonnes or ballast to get through haha

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Red Five said:

but this experiment is cool and i shall maybe look to give it a go.

It's a good option if your not as good with an airbrush as you obviously are. Fortunately, soil comes soil coloured. :wink:

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ratch said:

You can also use mixed herbs rather than buy a leaf punch - and your diorama will smell nice too :whistle:

Indeed you can. But on say a tank in the nooks one or two leaves really make it for me. But it all really depends on budgets and how far down the rabbit hole you want to go I suppose. I've just picked bits up as I've learned stuff and had alot of trial and error.