A Civil Swede SAS MD-80

Grandboof

Hi All 

As promised in the GB chat when I signed up for this ( Something about a Airliner from each country ) this is the  first build . Here are the starting pics.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Will try to finish on time  at least one of them 

Martin H

• Like 9

That's an excellent choice Martin and like me I'm aiming to model four 'military' aircraft, one from each of the four Nordic nations.

I wish you the best of luck and will be keen to see your other three choices as the time rolls on. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave  

welcome along Martin and I agree with the other comments, it's nice to see some civilian aircraft in the GB.

SAS is certainly a famous/well known airline form the region, so it's nice to see one in the GB.

Good luck with the build, I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

My heart is melting 🥰

I worked plus 20 years on SAS DC9/MD80 - including SE-DII - best aircraft I ever worked on 👍

Will be following your build with great interest Martin, wondering what your other contributions might be?

Let me know please in case you need references and I’ll see what I can dig out of the archive. 

ac7e8a0a290c78be601aa70537d5cb49.jpg

Cheers

Johnny b 

Edited by desert falcon
  • Like 5

Thanks all for your comments 

RL Good luck with military builds will be watching 

Johnny B The other choices at the moment are Norway DC-6 or DC-10 ( Both SAS) , Denmark Boeing 720 Conair , Finland  Caravelle Finnair  but this could change or be added to .

One thing I have noticed is a difference in the order of the National flags on the forward fuselage in your photo compared with the kit decals . I was wondering if this has relates to the country of registration . Off to get started on DII more soon 

Martin H

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Thanks all for your comments 

RL Good luck with military builds will be watching 

Johnny B The other choices at the moment are Norway DC-6 or DC-10 ( Both SAS) , Denmark Boeing 720 Conair , Finland  Caravelle Finnair  but this could change or be added to .

One thing I have noticed is a difference in the order of the National flags on the forward fuselage in your photo compared with the kit decals . I was wondering if this has relates to the country of registration . Off to get started on DII more soon 

Martin H

Hi Martin H,

Didn't notice the difference of the 'belly flags' before you mentioned it, but I checked all the old reference photos I have and regardless of nationality markings or aircraft model, all SAS aircrafts of the "Jan Carlzon" era had the nationality stripes as shown in my photo above (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, where Sweden would be yellow followed by blue). The same was true for the flags on the MD80 engine cowlings, or aft part of the fuselage for other aircraft models, which had the same order of appearance as the belly flags (DK, NO, SE).

Below another (poor quality) photo for inspiration, for your Danish contribution.

7473856e81e601e1602b2b172c5031d4.jpg

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 2

Hi All 

Firstly Johnny B the difference in the flag order is down to suspect box art I have found an image of DII and flags are in the order as you described . Thanks for the pic . The Dane will be the next of the mark after DII has progressed a bit . A start has been made just parts cleanup and adding of weight ( Instructions call for 7g but have added eight) . Dry fitting hasn't revealed any major problems . The flight deck will get a quick coat of grey in case I go for the clear option . More soon .

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi All.

Fuselage joined up . Nice joint went together without the usual words . Pic shows it before cleaning . If the rest of the build goes this well I will be pleased 

Thanks for dropping in 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 7

Always nice to get the fuselage buttoned up Martin, it’s a great sense of progress. I read with interest the above details regarding the SAS scheme and how good is it that @desert falcon is on hand and happy to provide reference data if required. Great thread. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi All 

This kit is still proving to be a great fit . Wings together with no hassles . Dry fitting of the wing root joints are very positive with just about no gap at all. The plan now is to paint the wing and tail plane components separately thus cutting down on masking . Thanks for looking in 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 7

Looking very nice Martin.  Good luck with your multi-national plan - you're a brave man trying to achieve that within one GB!

I've only recently started painting my airliner wings etc. separately and it certainly does make things a lot easier (particularly with rear engines).

Cheers

On 2/24/2020 at 12:19 AM, CliffB said:

Looking very nice Martin.  Good luck with your multi-national plan - you're a brave man trying to achieve that within one GB!

I've only recently started painting my airliner wings etc. separately and it certainly does make things a lot easier (particularly with rear engines).

Cheers

Thanks Cliff More like mad Time will tell . Colour soon Rich 

Martin H

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All 

Progress is some what slower than planned . Wings primed fuselage to follow . I will be using the decals for the flight deck glazing . The next update should be along sooner than this one . The fit is still good the only filling required was a small amount around the tail cone joint . Even the small parts fit well . Sorry for the delay Thanks for dropping by 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 6

You have showed us the plans for Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. What will it be for Iceland?

I have decals for the Conair 720 and there seems yo be a small fault in the decal instructions. It says to remove two windows on the right side for a 720 but the windows amount (39) is correct for a 720.

Instead two more windows are needed for a 720B.

• Like 1

The plan for Iceland is an F27 if it arrives in time and more crucial the Decals If not plan B is a Beech 18 . No Pics this time but DII is primed 

Martin H

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All 

A little more progress Finally have a reasonable gloss white coat ( or should I say coats ) on . The decals will go on before any more assembly so as to have a reasonably fat surface to work with and a splash of colour should brighten things up a bit . Should have the wings painted by the weekend . Thanks for dropping by 

Martin H

spacer.png

Sorry about the pic

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...