Desert Ju 87B-2/trop

Greg Law

23 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Great work on your cockpit Peter, I wish I had bought the Yahu IP, it would have saved me painting the Eduard PE with RLM 02 but too late now.

Told you ....😎 I have three of them. Why you might ask......

In the last two weeks I bought the Airfix  Ju 87 R/B kit as well as the Ju 87B-1 kit. The B-1 is a backup on my Spanish theme if I fail with my current build. If that goes ok I will do it as a battle of France plane. The R/B-2 most likely will be a desert one for next year. The other option for the B-2 is Helmut Mahlke's B-2. The only problem is I haven't been able to find.the shield symbol of 2St/186T which was his Staffel. If anyone knows it would be a great help.

Hello greg what does the shield look like ? I have a large sheet of Luftwaffe crests i picked up at a swap meet and could look for them if i had a photo ? 

Here is the sheet I have. Microscale sheet 48-88.https://www.scalemates.com/kits/microscale-48-88-luftwaffe-unit-insignia-ww2--178958

zQmwthc.png

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

No I can't give you anything.  There is only one photo showing it and it is too unclear to make it out. It looks like there is a white shield with something on it. I can't make out what it is. This Stuka group where orginally supposed to be on Graf Zeppelin. 

• Thanks 1

Ok here we go.

As an alternate build and a backup to my very difficult Ju 87A build. I've decided to have a go at building what I think is one of Helmut Mahlke's Ju 87b Stukas.

Helmut Wrote the best Stuka book out there. He covered the early years from the Battle of France to the beginning of the attack on Russia when he was badly burnt and ended the war in a desk job. Great book to say the least.far better than Rudel's book.

He commanded III / STG.1 and the aircraft I'm going to do is J9-AH.

The insignia graphic on the side is a bit confusing. There seems to be two options.  The first is the crow. However  there is a photo of him in the book standing in front of one of their Stuka's with a eagle and an anchor on a white shield. This seems most likely to be used by him because of the origins of the Schaffel being assigned to Graf Zeppelin. At first I couldn't work out what was on the shield until I found out more information,  then it became clear what it was.

As I can get a decal for this marking I'm going for it.

Photos to come. I don't think we need another photo of the Airfix box art or sprue.

• Like 3

You might be interested to know I have made a start with this build. I have decided to do it generally out of the box. No PE instruments. The only thing I will add is little bit of scratch building, some seat belts and the decals. The scratch building will be the fuse boxes I've seen added  by others in this GB. 

I will do it as one of the Stuka's in Helmet's Schaffel rather than the one he few in the Med because it was a loaned one and not his. This way I know it will be a BOB plane and the decals are easy to get.

• Like 1

Time to show progress. I'm almost finished the cockpit parts. I'm doing this out of the box with only seat belts being PE. 

I have scratch built the what I think is fuse boxes to add a bit if interest. 

I was thinking of changing this to a desert one, but I got a new kit cheap today, that will be my desert one for next year. 

I have done the instrument panel with the decals. I made it easier to place by cutting them up. 

Ju 87B-2 image 1

Ju 87B-2 image2

Ju 87B-2 image3

• Like 3

I must say, this is a fun kit. The only issue I have had is some sink depressions in the fuselage and all those ejection marks in the cockpit. It feels like a holiday away from all the more difficult kits I'm doing at the moment. It has been a breeze to put together.  The only issue I have had is to slow down the construction so the glue has time to set. 

I will have the whole plane together tomorrow ready for painting. It makes such at change. Now it sits with my other Battle of Britain planes. The He 111 H4, Do 215E-4, and my Bf 109E-1.  They are all at the same point of construction.  Looks a bit like a German aircraft factory. 🙂

Ju 87B-2 image4

• Like 7

Well it looks like it will be touch and go for this one to met the deadline.  I thought my decals would have been well on the way by now. Seems they have only just been posted yesterday that means anything from two weeks to a month before they arrive. Still I will get it painted ready for a quick finish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

For those interested. I have ordered a Falcon Ju87B canopy to see if I can do something with it. I really don't like the Airfix open canopy part.

Greg, You must be liking vacuformed canopies after your Ju87A 😀

No Ray. I hate them. But you do what you have to do. This is my third in recent models. I have one on the Beaufort which was difficult to deal with and as a result is still waiting to be painted. My plan with this one is to only use the pilots sliding canopy part and cut up the main canopy to suit.

The vac canopy arrived today.  To my surprise I think it is made for this kit. Time will tell. I'm also thinking of changing the theme of this build to an Libyan theater one.

It is painted in a plain sand colour with the codes of S1+GK the G is red on a white band. Spinner is RLM71 with a red forward half. It is a pity I can't get these markings so I will have use a letter set I can get all going well. I will have to change the filter to a tropical filter, but that is all.

• Greg Law changed the title to Desert Ju 87B-2/trop

This is the Stuka I'm doing now. I'm having trouble getting a paint mix to match this profile. I think it is a sun bleached RLM 79 sandy yellow

I have AqueousRLM 79 sandy brown which is too dark. Can someone give me advice on how to get to this colour. 

The plane in the profile is the one I'm doing now. It is getting close to painting. I just have to get the right colours RLM 78 and this RLM 79 sandy yellow.

This is an early desert Stuka in Libya around 1941.

desert Stuka S1+GK

5 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This is the Stuka I'm doing now. I'm having trouble getting a paint mix to match this profile. I think it is a sun bleached RLM 79 sandy yellow

I have AqueousRLM 79 sandy brown which is too dark. Can someone give me advice on how to get to this colour. 

The plane in the profile is the one I'm doing now. It is getting close to painting. I just have to get the right colours RLM 78 and this RLM 79 sandy yellow.

This is an early desert Stuka in Libya around 1941.

desert Stuka S1+GK

Hi Greg, I would personal use colour coats giallo mimetic 4.I used it on  this bf 109 e. Nick

2018-02-08_03-06-17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Niknak said:

Hi Greg, I would personal use colour coats giallo mimetic 4.

Hi Greg, I was going to say that Luftwaffe aircraft sent to North Africa before RLM 79 was being produced "borrowed" sand coloured paint off the Italians, Niknak beat me to it.