Hello everyone... Going to throw my hat in the ring here with an old Airfix Bristol Bulldog. This boxing in particular. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-01083-bristol-bulldog--148834

Im not sure if I will do this in Swedish or Finnish markings ? I have both options open to me. I will attempt to rig this but I'm no good. As even with my magnifier headset i cant see the end of the uschi thread. I will post sprue shots as soon as I'm able so please be patient. 

Dennis

• Like 12

Dennis.. perhaps you could go half way and build the Swedish version to port and the Finnish version on the starboard side? Better still, just buy another kit and build them in tandem! 

Cheers and good to see you on here as well.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

welcome Dennis and a fine choice..........to ruin your eyes! :D

She's a lovely aircraft but the rigging, I struggle doing the antennas in 1/48th, let along full rigging in 1/72nd!

Hopefully you can manage without going blind/mad, she'll be a lovely addition to the gallery.

• Like 1

Hello Rich and everyone else. As promised Ive come to post the sprue shots. MSjAio3.jpg

3swtsbW.jpg
As you can see I'm not spoilt for choices concerning props. A fellow member gave me two spare plastic props that turn and angle the correct way. They're above the fuselage in the photo. Shortly after I received them I received a Kora resin prop in the mail from Oz from another member. So I'm indebted to them both for trying to help me get that part corrected. 

Now Im still undetermined but angling for one of the two Finnish Bulldog IIa’s donated by Sweden in December of 1939. They look something like these profiles. 8gxwgLG.jpg

You have to scroll down a bit on this page to see a photo of BU-216. http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/bulldog_finland.htm

However as a fallback i can go with Swedish air force markings. This first link shows one wearing Green over silver doped fabric, and wearing the later Blue roundel with gold crowns. 

https://s301.photobucket.com/user/Leif-Fredin/media/1216redA45copy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=873

This is the earlier scheme of Silver doped fabric with White roundel and Black crowns.

https://s301.photobucket.com/user/Leif-Fredin/media/1214redA08copy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=880

So I'm covered with at least those three schemes. If by some miracle I get this done I may go for a Hawk 75 either in Finnish colors or Norwegian ? But only if i can pull this one off ? Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

Hello everyone... Second update for today. I finished painting the interior. I used Aluminum for the forward part and then went with a brown for the seat. 
j7mU0Ut.jpg

Once this is set ⬆️, I can drill the rigging holes if I'm correct ? Im thinking of using stretched sprue as the Uschi line is so small. It should be a simple criss-cross pattern between the main struts and cabane struts ? Which is 4 per wing on diagonal connections ? Plus 2 in between the main struts on the wing in an “X” pattern ? 

0xB8uDQ.jpg

aYO60nF.jpg

ZYH8nuB.jpg

Thats the only sinkhole on the kit. Not so bad for something that is at least 30 years old and from a mold which is pushing 50 now ? Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 13

Hello everybody... this is now sanded out to 1000 grit W/D.
cCKxjXN.jpg

Going to drill the holes tomorrow for the rigging.🤞🏻Though I'm planning on sprue i think some minor holes for anchor points will work best. 

1 hour ago, Col. said:

With one of these in my own stash I'm watching your progress with interest Dennis. Looks good so far :thumbsup:

Really 😳 Ive never rigged a plane in my life and this is only my 8th ever biplane. I kind of feel like an 8 yr old kid thats got to give a piano recital and hasn't practiced at all ?

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Hello everyone... Well I'm onto the next stage. Ive added the lower wing bracing/supports ? 
65EnnJF.jpg

cYbWGAS.jpg

Those little pieces are so tiny. But theyre on and glued. Next I glued the upper wing together. Still need to deal with a smidge of filler on the underside of the wing. 
xX1m7H7.jpg

5AnbJwv.jpg

Once that was dry i drilled about 24 or so tiny little holes. I went through my last 3 micro drill bits and in the end ran out. I went old school then fresh #11 blade slowly spun gets a hole just a bit bigger than the 3 bits i broke. I hope this works out when i go to do this 🤫 Shhhhh I'm gonna have to sneak up on the Uschi thread. I need to see if i can actually see the thread let alone do this ? If not the back up is stretched sprue ? Questions, comments, and or thoughts ? 

Dennis

PS - Almost forgot to tag Mike @72modeler for this build. 

• Like 4

What size drill are you using?

I gave up with 0.3mm drills and moved up to 0.4mm, that wee bit bigger makes the drills so much more robust, I've only broken one in well over a year - and yes I have done a lot of rigging holes!

Here is my B. Bulldog. Perhaps you can work out the rigging pattern from it

Bristol%20Bulldog%20IIa%2C%2023%20sqd%2C

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

What size drill are you using?

BEEPQnX.jpg
Great looking Bulldog ! 

Not sure ? They were a gift from Procopius along with the Uschi thread. Which is listed as “Superfine”. Im guessing they're way smaller than .4mm. If I'm reading the blue correctly, looks like 0.0135 ? Is that 13.5 % of a MM ? 

Dennis

You wouldn't see 0.0135mm - I think its 0.0135 inch or about 0.3429mm - half way between 0.3 and 0.4. Good for rigging holes in 1/72 or 1/48 but easily broken. If its the type I use to use it has just one long spiral groove which isn't so good in model plastic. The multi-groove standard twist bit is superior. Its that single groove, the edges aren't sharp and if it gets hung up it breaks as you twist it, the standard twist bit has sharpened groove edges - you can use it as a reamer too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a snippet you can ignore; Some Bulldogs were built with two pair of intermediary struts, some were built with only one pair. Airfix' kit has only the one pair, the rear ones. The subject I modeled had the two pair so I had to fit them

• Like 1

Dennis,

Glad to see you getting started on your Bulldog. @antti and @Antti_K  I'm sure will also agree with your choice of the Finnish scheme. I have the MMP books on Finnish and Swedish fighter colors, so pm me if you need any help with serials, FS equivalents for the colors, etc. Looks like the kit's coming along nicely.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody ... I did my sanding today and I'm all good on that front. Painted up some of the accessories and started painting the prop. Talk about being Nervous. While trying to remove the Kora prop from the resin casting block it was pretty scary. I can see the whole blade vibrating with every draw of the saw-blade. In the end it was successful with just the one tip having to be slightly re-profiled due to a chip. Thank you again @Admiral Puff for the Christmas gift. The build will be paused temporarily while I wait for Trans-Atlantic mail to deliver the Decals so I can make the final call on markings and scheme. 

• Like 1

You're a brave man Dennis!! Rigging scares the willies out of me, and you're doing it in 1/72nd!!

Nice work so far, it's good to see one of these oldies in the build, shows there's still life in these old models (and modellers! :D)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

You're a brave man Dennis!! Rigging scares the willies out of me, and you're doing it in 1/72nd!!

Thanks Rich.. I have a few more biplanes to do. I have a 1/32nd Curtiss F9C the type that flew from the USS Akron & USS Macon. I have a Grumman F3F in 1/48th and I have an Matchbox Hawker Fury Mk.I in 1/72 to do. My thinking is do the smallest first, if both I and the Model survive I'm golden for the bigger scales ?  

• Like 2

Built the 1/72 Matchbox Fury many years ago but don't remember Airfix issuing one - nearest they got AFAIK was the very early bagged Hart kit, and the Demon Fighter, perhaps from a reworked mould. I suspect yours is 1/48 and should be a nice kit as it was a good looking machine.

Pete

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Built the 1/72 Matchbox Fury many years ago but don't remember Airfix issuing one - nearest they got AFAIK was the very early bagged Hart kit, and the Demon Fighter, perhaps from a reworked mould. I suspect yours is 1/48 and should be a nice kit as it was a good looking machine.

Pete

You know what that was my mistake. Im thinking it was a matchbox now as its second hand and no box.