The Unexpected Journey - Spitfire Vb AB910, KP 1/72

CedB

After the complexity of the Sioux I need to get back to simple kit bashing so, obviously, I'm going to do a Spitfire for a bit of relaxation.

During 'The Grand Tour' we visited BBMF and saw AB910, a Vb with a long but unusual history. She even has her own website which documents the story of this build - 'The Unexpected Journey'.

On February 14th 1945, a cold and overcast morning, the Duty Controller at RAF Hibaldstow instructed that ‘rough weather’ procedures should be observed by all, on account of strong winds. As such, a member of the Women’s Auxiliary Air force (WAAF), Margaret Ida Horton, assisted the pilot of AB910, Flight Lieutenant Neil Cox DFC, by sitting on the plane’s tail while he taxied to take-off position. This was common practice in order to prevent the aircraft ground looping in the gusty conditions. The pilot dutifully carried out all necessary checks and – having forgotten Margaret was sitting on the tail entirely – started down the runway and promptly took off. It was immediately clear to the pilot that AB910 was not handling in its usual manner and upon investigating the cause, he quickly realised that poor Margaret was still wrapped around the aircraft’s tail, clinging desperately to its elevator. Fortunately, he was able to turn into the circuit and land AB910 – and his unexpected passenger – safely, much to the relief of onlookers.

The story is further documented here where we learn that Margaret was always known as Ida, so Ida she will be. She said that AB910 was "…a lovely kite, always getting into some kind of scrape. Her squadron identification letters were MVT and I used to call her 'T for Trouble'".

Hopefully the kit (which Cookie recommends and Stew built as a Trop

49414507058_cc3fcebbea_z.jpg

…won't be any trouble.

Of course I need 'an Ida' so I looked in the figures I'd bought for the Rapide build (see signature for link):

49415166782_73936461ff_z.jpg

Say hello to Ida:

49414982171_65ed00d72f_z.jpg

Obviously she'll need some work, but she settles on the tail admirably:

49414492918_19e0b577ac_n.jpg 49415177032_048084c6a3_n.jpg

Should be fun.

And hopefully easy…

• Like 28

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Say hello to Ida:

<snip>

Obviously she'll need some work, but she settles on the tail admirably:

well Ced, I sincerely hope you are not going to be chopping Ida's feet off!   We're keeping our eyes on you just so you know

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Love a Ced build, love a Spitfire build and what a great back ground story. I'll take a seat in the corner watch and make notes if I may?

Roger

• Like 1

Welcome Dennis, Keith, Steve, alt-92, AW, Phil, Cookie, John and Roger! 

9 hours ago, perdu said:

I'm around

usual caveats re: brown and green apply

Welcome Bill :) Aha, this one's grey and green - at least I think it is?

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ida the Spitfire rida 

Welcome Crisp :) He's a poet and he don't know it…

7 hours ago, hendie said:

well Ced, I sincerely hope you are not going to be chopping Ida's feet off!   We're keeping our eyes on you just so you know

Welcome hendie :) No surgery required, thank goodness!

6 hours ago, philp said:

So building it "in the circuit" or a proper dio landing or taking off?

Welcome Phil :) We'll see. I'll build her wheels down (heck) and then see how the finish looks. If I'm pleased with it I may dangle it above my desk. If not then in the cabinet.

Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

A great story though it must have been pretty horrifying for her at the time!

Hope you get a nice trouble-free build Ced, you've earned it :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew and welcome :) 

I do deserve a rest after fiddling with that tiny chopper, so unusual for me :wicked:

I'd better cut some plastic before page 2 this time (hopefully).

49442954391_6f7b14ee05_z.jpg

Ida is watching (and mostly painted)

• Like 8

Poor Ida, glad you have her hanging on for grime death! Horrifying for her at the time I bet... but let’s face it, that’s a great story to have! Doubt there are many people that can say they have flown on rather than in a spitfire! 

Rob

• Like 2

My busy weekend means that I've missed the start and will have to slip in at the back. I'm currently on a health splurge so don't need to fight to get to the bar fortunately. Great idea Ced. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I suspect, for tail-dragging duties, our Ida may not have been wearing the uniform skirt. However, she does look smart, so leave her be.

Sitting over here in the corner may I interject, Heather is right.

Both ways

Leave Ida in the skirt

• Like 1
  • Haha 2