P-40 Canopy masks question

yeehah1

If you're talking about the sliding hood, they are identical. If you're talking about the windscreen, IIRC, some of the later variants had an extra frame on the LH side, but I think I recall it being fitted beginning with the K, or maybe the M/N. You should be OK, unless the mask is cut for one kit canopy and you are using the canopy from a different kit. Does that make sense?

Mike

14 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

I think the extra windscreen panel was introduced during L production.

I think you are right- after I posted, I did some more digging and the earliest version I saw with the extra windscreen frame was a P-40L. Good eye! Thanks for the correction.

Mike

Later blocks of the P-40F had the extra windscreen frame and small window too.  To answer Liam's initial question, as Mike pointed out, yes, the masks are interchangeable as long as they are used on the same manufacturer's P-40, such as the AMT/AMtech/Hobbycraft/Italeri P-40E/F kits, which are all the same plastic.  I've had to do this myself.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Later blocks of the P-40F had the extra windscreen frame and small window too.  To answer Liam's initial question, as Mike pointed out, yes, the masks are interchangeable as long as they are used on the same manufacturer's P-40, such as the AMT/AMtech/Hobbycraft/Italeri P-40E/F kits, which are all the same plastic.  I've had to do this myself.

Cheers,

Mark

And if it turns out one needs the extra windscreen panel, it's pretty easy to adapt the mask by removing a thin strip and turning into two segments.

• Like 2