Modelcollect 1/72 Boeing B-52H

hsr

This is my Modelcollect 1/72 B-52H Buff build. The only build review I have seen of this kit was Paul Boyer's review in FSM and the subsequent article in the new Kalmbach "Modeling Aircraft". The review was one of the more negative ones I have seen in FSM and I have to verify and agree with everything he said. There are some shape errors that I made no attempt to correct, the fit is mostly OK, just OK, I found the panel lines way to big and deep, and most of all the instructions are awful and the decals useless. One warning about the instructions that Mr. Boyer did not mention is; they have you make 2 main gear assemblies that they both call "Q", not Q1 and Q2, just Q. The same is true for the gear bay roofs which they call G. They then say to install one Q and G in the front gear bay and the others in the rear. What they do not say is that the 2 Qs and Gs are slightly different sizes with the front slightly larger than the rear. I can guarantee you that if you get either or both of them reversed the fuselage halves will not close. I got both reversed before I realized they were different. Maybe this is a rookie mistake but it took a day to realize and correct.

The kit comes with 18 AGM-129s for the wing pylons, 12 with the wings folded and 6 with them extended. However the photo etched fins provided were for the AGM-86. Given this and that the AGM-129s were retired in 2012 I decided to buy their Aircraft Weapons Set 1. Each of these contained 3 AGM-86s with folded wings and intakes and one 1 with wings and intake extended. No decals. I got 3 sets. and was able to modify the 3 missiles with the extended wings and intakes to a reasonable proximity  of the folded ones. These sets are way overpriced and have pretty bad fit.

The decals are well printed but the colors on some are wrong and the marking are over sized. I bought the Caracal B-52H sheet 72058. This sheet is really for the AMT/Italeri kit sone the panel lines on the horizontal stabilized don't quite line up the the walkway marking but I made do. The decals were a pleasure to install but did have some silvering that needed work.

One final note; I apologize for the quality of the pictures but it is a dark and dreary winter day here and couldn't get enough light on it to keep the whole thing in focus and avoid graininess.  Enough whining on  my part and on to the pictures.

ncSBE01E_o.jpg

ieatIVio_o.jpg

IRZ7me85_o.jpg

6J3spK1B_o.jpg

Hic62Mv1_o.jpg

hrKNggxI_o.jpg

KZy9SKCY_o.jpg

And here it is in its place of honor

fOwpFOtJ_o.jpg

Next up is a bit of an experiment for me. I will be trying a 3d printed QH-50C ASW drone from Shapeways. 

Enjoy

• Like 65
  • Thanks 3

It’s interesting to see the angle of the engines - on a static B-52 they should be distinctly nose-up. On this kit, they look parallel to the ground.

Not a criticism of your build - which looks lovely by the way - but something is not right with the sit of that wing...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, tomprobert said:

but something is not right with the sit of that wing...

It may have to do with the with the droop, or lack there of, in the wings. This has some droop but not enough for the outriggers to touch the ground

1 hour ago, hsr said:

It may have to do with the with the droop, or lack there of, in the wings. This has some droop but not enough for the outriggers to touch the ground

That is why I started gluing the wing starting by the tip as the lower side is a little bit shorter than the upper side. I did not want to make as my AMT kit in the past.

Patrick

A great result!

Impressive collection of huge US bombers. Have you considered that you need now perhaps Tu-95 and Tu-160 to have ballance on shelves? ;) 

Congrats 

J-W

• Thanks 1

Impressive collection. They look great displayed like that.

The B-2 Spirit lurking at the bottom is my favourite though - it's just not of this world!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JWM said:

Have you considered that you need now perhaps Tu-95 and Tu-160 to have ballance on shelves?

No!😱 I am a completist, once I build 1 Russian aircraft I would have to build them all and I just don't have the room. And yes I have all US bombers, starting with the Martin MB-2, either built or in my pile.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IanC said:

The B-2 Spirit lurking at the bottom is my favourite though - it's just not of this world!!

It does kind of looks alien 👽. It is the Testors/Italeri version, not the Modelcollect

2 hours ago, hsr said:

No!😱 I am a completist, once I build 1 Russian aircraft I would have to build them all and I just don't have the room. And yes I have all US bombers, starting with the Martin MB-2, either built or in my pile.

That I can understand, it is similar with me in some way, I restricted my interest to "military airplanes 1935-45 except prototype, unless the prototype was used in any operation - just to include some Polish prototypes used in 1939 like PZL 46 Sum or PZL 11g Kobuz" -  but wait a moment, in your status it is said "build everything except cars" :)  - are soviet bombers grounded and becames cars?:rofl:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

You took a difficult kit and brought it to an inspiring completion. Incidentally, I love the B-36 on the shelf. I think it's one of Monogram's better kits. I've built one and would love to get my hands on another.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

I love the B-36 on the shelf. I think it's one of Monogram's better kits. I've built one and would love to get my hands on another.

There was someone on here a while ago who was working on converting on to a YB-60. I don't know if he ever finished, but that is tempting yo try.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I really love your collection!

Especially, the way you manage to display all those monsters is simply brilliant!

Your Modelcollect B-52H is really lovely, I hope to make an "early one" one day...well, I hope to have a similar collection one day, probably more focused on the 50s and 60s!

You can be really proud Sir! 👏

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giovanni said:

Your Modelcollect B-52H is really lovely,

:blush: Your Monogram B-52D is pretty spectacular too. I also like that plexiglass case. It will keep the dust off of it.

Thanks

• Thanks 1