Airfix 1/48th Spitfire Mk.XII

First one of the year for me and the start of a few Spitfire builds in progress. This is the Airfix 1/48th Spitfire Mk.XII which is a bit of a clunker in places but, with a bit of effort, turns out well. I took the advice from a previous build that I'd seen on BM and made some changes ( thinned wing trailing edges, thinned propeller blades, removed main undercarriage link arms - not present on wartime Mk.XII, hollowed out the exhausts). I also added an Eduard Cockpit Etch set, Master Model Barrels, Ultracast Wheels and a Rob Taurus vacuum canopy for the main hood (this was meant for the Eduard Mk.IX but fitted nicely and looks a whole lot better than the Airfix part) Painting was done with a combination Montex masks and Vallejo/Xtracrylix paints. All glossed with Future before matting down again with Xtracrylix matt varnish. Weather was kept fairly light but done using Flory models dark dirt and various washes. All in all one of the most enjoyable builds that I've done in along time, really re-discovered the fun of modelling with this one. Onto the pictures and, as usual, comments are welcomed.

Pete 

wDyUIlE.jpg

dldKumE.jpg

54MSWTb.jpg

hkbNTs8.jpg

KmAwbqg.jpg

bv0M8s3.jpg

iZc1EzA.jpg

SNC0TlD.jpg

lkvvmT4.jpg

F9D6W9Y.jpg

• Like 53
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely build mate, shows what a nice model can be made from this kit with a bit of hard work and the vac centre section for the canopy makes a world of difference. Think the molded one piece hood and rear section was an interesting idea from Airfix but cant see how it would ever look right.