Stirling found in Dutch lake

bentwaters81tfw

Thanks for the news article. As it says she was originally misidentified as BK710 but has now been correctly identified as BK716. Large parts of this aircraft have been on display at Fort Veldhuis and we have a number of parts incorporated into our flight deck build

John

(Stirling Aircraft Project)

• Thanks 1

This story is also in the Sunday Express, where they show a picture of a Stirling which looks rather like a Lancaster to me...

The text part is a very moving read though, it is a shame they could not have the respect and put in a correct photograph.

Ray

• Sad 1

On 1/25/2020 at 7:06 PM, 12jaguar said:

Thanks for the news article. As it says she was originally misidentified as BK710 but has now been correctly identified as BK716. Large parts of this aircraft have been on display at Fort Veldhuis and we have a number of parts incorporated into our flight deck build

John

(Stirling Aircraft Project)

I'm a bit confused here.  If parts have been on display and incorporated in to the Sterling project was the aircraft discoverd some time ago then?

Is there any news on whether the remains of any of the crew have been recovered?  Would be nice to bring them home, so to speak.  Somewhat fittingly 218 (Gold Coast) Squadron's motto is 'In time'.

in essence this aircraft has been known about for some time, what is relatively new is that RNLAF are going to recover the aircraft, I guess this is what the media have picked up on.

We've borrowed parts from the civilian recovery group in the past which we've used as patterns (seat structure etc). One of the most significant parts we have from this aircraft is the Pilots windscreen de-icer pump

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...