1/72 - Supermarine S.5 by AMP - released

Homebee

That looks tasty, nice to see one of the other Supermarine racers, will have a look at my Haynes manual which is quite a useful guide. 

11 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Sign me up for one! Already have plenty of reference photos saved from the 'net for my subject:

49071338816_447fd67bb1.jpg

I'm very pleased about the new kit too.

Your pic is of the 1970s-built Thorpe Leisure Park lightweight replica powered by a horizontally-opposed Continental of around 200 hp - note the cooling intake slots in the nose. An ill-starred aircraft which, after incurring serious damage in one accident in 1982, was rebuilt only to come apart in the air from flutter in 1987, fatally for the pilot.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I'm very pleased about the new kit too.

Your pic is of the 1970s-built Thorpe Leisure Park lightweight replica powered by a horizontally-opposed Continental of around 200 hp - note the cooling intake slots in the nose. An ill-starred aircraft which, after incurring serious damage in one accident in 1982, was rebuilt only to come apart in the air from flutter in 1987, fatally for the pilot.

I like to build warbirds and replicas, hence my choice of G-BDFF. A sad outcome but quite the achievement.

7 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I like to build warbirds and replicas, hence my choice of G-BDFF.

That will be an unusual, possibly unique model then, an interesting choice. It was pretty true to the original outline so the mods should be fairly straightforward. Prop, spinner, some mild re-shaping of the nose contours, the different intake and exhaust arrangements, and the little water rudders that they cut into the rear of the floats... have you spotted anything else?  A prop off something like an Airfix Bulldog or Arrow would be ideal if you can find a part-built or spares kit

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...