BOAC VC-10 Commercial

Vid is a Super VC10

I know the son of the photographer that did most of these brochures and Marlene Dietrich  .

Shoot was in a London studio . The tension of her turning up with an attitude and reputation of her being a diva etc. was soon forgotten . She arrived with her staff, BOAC execs etc.

The photog explained what he wanted her to do … Sit in the seat here and recline it ,stretch your legs forward .

She gets in the seat ,it's already moving and reclines …. The whole lot goes over backwards ,she's a heap half in the seat and pile of books that have raised the seat feet off the ground ! The onlookers are terrified . Miss Dietrich ! Are you alright ? She's laying there laughing her head off . All was well and the shoot continued .

I have a pre-publication shot of her in the seat on books with a white sheet over those ( was photoshopped out for printing obviously ) Also in shot is a bloke holding the back of the seat . You can't sit in a PAX seat that isn't fitted to Seat Rail/Track  unless it's the centre seat on a triple or outboard seat on a double , it's unbalanced . If you want a copy of the unpublished photo let me have your email . I have several others too . BOAC cartoons from papers and BOAC Review about Ms Dietrich's advert .

One of those above , "Our Flighty Birds" has used the prototype as it was on it's 1st flight and touched up in the 1965 BOAC scheme .

The VC10 Economy Class seat ad was a pull out in a Flight magazine , bought the mag on ebay for £2 ,making sure the ad was still attached !

1st was ad . Bit of weirdness with the later mark Super Beaver Tails , like spikes .

I got the 25th BOAC Anniversary special the day it came out ,also got the previous years ( April/May 1964 ) VC10 service entry special . I had no idea I would be working on VC10s 6/7 years later , none at all .

Great collection of VC10 ads . Anyone wanting the original Dietrich ad shot ,PM me with email address .

• Like 6

Thanks again ! The Beautiful Putdown Ad..... Interesting shot , first thing you can see the Nose tyre chines sticking out .

2nd thing some weird shaped air splitter  around both Fridge Pack intakes , (near the wing root ). Don't remember those splitters , they must have been removed sometime early on  . RAF C.1ks hasn't got them ,BUA had a straight length splitter outboard of the intake ( check Sultan's photo from walkrounds below  ) , pretty sure the K2s and K3s didn't have  them . I checked some various BA Supers and K4 scans (ex BOAC Supers) and they're missing . Don't you just love the VC10 weirdness ?vc%2011.jpg

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Tommo

I just put this up on a BOAC FB page . That where it came from ? Just put another belter on there waiting for page scrutinising crew to approve it .

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 8:06 PM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Tommo.

Myrtle Avenue off Hatton Road . Media make a lot of noise about that green ( no pun intended ) . We had places that were much better , perfect but security , road and building changes , Crash Gates removed etc. all gone . We had the whole perimeter road , Crash Gate op Caines Lane .  Glad I don't live on that road with your front view full of anoraks all day ,every day . Otherwise ideal back when they weren't nearly all white or start with 73 or Airbus . To put that in to context . All the years I was watching then spotting at Heathrow , never been in Myrtle Avenue .

I will add that I wish I was there that minute ( I want a TARDIS) , that angle looks like it's heading for the short runaway across the airfield between BEA Hangars and Central area

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 23:17, bzn20 said:

Thanks again ! The Beautiful Putdown Ad..... Interesting shot , first thing you can see the Nose tyre chines sticking out .

2nd thing some weird shaped air splitter  around both Fridge Pack intakes , (near the wing root ). Don't remember those splitters , they must have been removed sometime early on  . RAF C.1ks hasn't got them ,BUA had a straight length splitter outboard of the intake ( check Sultan's photo from walkrounds below  ) , pretty sure the K2s and K3s didn't have  them . I checked some various BA Supers and K4 scans (ex BOAC Supers) and they're missing . Don't you just love the VC10 weirdness ?

The stall strips around the intake are a bit puzzling indeed. My only guess would be that this was sometime during the Super's flight test programme, as the intake shape is not right for a type 1101 wing. As you mentioned, the Supers ended up without these strips, but took some fettling to get right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archer_VC10 said:

bit puzzling

Yes Jelle . As you know the flight test phase threw up all kinds of weird things that didn't last , were redesigned , were moved other bits added . Right up to the last VC10s for East African which BOAC retro fitted their Super fleet with ( conical Beaver Tails except SGB and SGC ) Lost count of how many Beaver mods there were , we had racks full of boxes with all the different MOD states . Ghana's under wing leading edge fence is another , removed a short while after .