Magnifying Eye Glasses

Andy350

Are these any good for modelling smaller parts, i thought my office was bright enough, but whenever I'm concentrating on small parts it all goes dark!  I've seen some reviews on these Magnifying Eye Glasses, but mixed reviews.

I use an Optivisor to which I've added an additional magnifying loupe for my weaker right eye.  On top of the visor I've mounted the LED lamp from a head-torch to provide that added brightness when getting up close and personal.  I'm thinking of adding some more lights, just remember, you don't want to add too much weight to it because it could make your neck ache.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Wez said:

I use an Optivisor to which I've added an additional magnifying loupe for my weaker right eye.  On top of the visor I've mounted the LED lamp from a head-torch to provide that added brightness when getting up close and personal.  I'm thinking of adding some more lights, just remember, you don't want to add too much weight to it because it could make your neck ache.

Thanks Wez

Hi, Andy, I use these https://www.toolsdiy.co.uk/2-led-magnifying-visor.  There are several identical versions from other companies.  The LED is not great, but without it the headset is light and I can wear it for several hours.  The LED is not needed, in my view, if the working area is well lit.  The choice of lenses is useful - I do sometimes use higher powers for fiddly bits.  Bottom line is that without these (or something like them) I could not build models!   I also have a set in my workshop.

Regards

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been using a knackered, old Optivisor that I salvaged from a skip and repaired. It has served me well, but sometimes I feel like I could do with some higher magnification.

@TimB the visor you mentioned looks like good buy. One question: does the headband have a reasonable amount of adjustment? Apparently I have a big ol' noggin, so some things just won't fit me!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Mark, I found no problem adjusting the headband, and still have over an inch of adjustment.  I don't think my head is too pointy...

Regards

Tim

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 10:40 AM, lasermonkey said:

I have been using a knackered, old Optivisor that I salvaged from a skip and repaired. It has served me well, but sometimes I feel like I could do with some higher magnification.

Optivisor offers multiple lens plates as well as spare parts. 

• Like 1

I picked up some equvilant to these after seeing someone's Model use them.   No these exact ones, mine were off ebay, but the same power.  I hate them!  Too much hunting and searching for where I am at.

https://www.amazon.com/Dental-Power-Binocular-Working-Distance/dp/B008BO57FU/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=binocular+dental+glasses&qid=1580154617&sr=8-14

I still prefer my old optivisor.  Although mine doesn't let you change lenses.

• Like 1