RF-84 Thunderflash 1/48

Rob K.

I don’t know why, but I’ve only just found this. I’ve always liked  the F-84, and still have a Monogram F-84F and a Heller RF-84. I’ll go back to the beginning now and read it properly.

John

PS also a fan of AK Extreme Metal paint.

• Thanks 1

Most of the decals are on. The letter/number code on the nose which I thought I'd use the DutchDecal sheet for turned out too large. Just waiting for some I ordered from a techmod sheet. Hope they will be ok.

spacer.png

Once all decals are on, I will give the polished Alu some weathering with a wash in order to tone the gloss down somewhat.

To be continued.............

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

hmmm, I must try these paints, that NMF is really nice.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Thanks John, yes I have never had much luck with NMF, but this AK paint airbrushes so easy. I have masked the model for large parts for the red and black parts and no metal paint came away after removing the tape. I like it a lot. I did prep it as described earlier.

Rgds

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Just a little progress today. Finished all the decalling, choose TP-7 for no particular reason other than that the combination fitted nicely in the allocated space 🙂

Did seal the decals after some deliberation, ready for the wash to be put on tomorrow after the gloss coat has properly dried. Going to try a dark brown wash from flory models, which seemed to turn out ok on polished alu on a youtube clip I watched the other day. (rather than a black wash).

spacer.png

To be continued.......

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

looking good Rob

did the pilot come with the kit?

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Hi John,

Thanks.

There is no pilot supplied in the kit. This one is from PJ productions.

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Remember to get the Flory Dirt out of the crease along the wing fences, mate. I always miss this and realise after I've varnished! ;)

Martin

Thanks Martin,

It is good stuff that Flory wash, but it does go everywhere.

Thanks.

21 hours ago, Rob K. said:

Hi John,

Thanks.

There is no pilot supplied in the kit. This one is from PJ productions.

Rgds,

Rob

you've made a good job of him 👍 

it's funny how some manufacturers don't supply pilots, having said that I tend not to add aircrew to by builds but on the occasions when I do I always think they add to the overall model.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Thanks 1

Some advice for anyone attempting this build: Probably obvious, but it is wise to put the wing pylons (especially the inner ones) on before priming and painting. The fit is quite bad and I had to sand and shape them to follow the wing contours. I cut off the locating pins and drilled holes and inserted new locating pins from evergreen rod. These were the worst fitting parts so far in the kit. Fitting them at an early stage somehow escaped my attention...................

spacer.png

Rgds

• Thanks 2

Not entirely finished ye., Still requires some slight touch ups. Here a small preview before I will make a post in the RFI section eventually. At least all parts are on. The air brakes are closed, but only with a little maskol. I may open them later. Got some other work to do, so it will take a while before I completely finalize the model. Not an easy build, but I quite enjoyed it. Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching......!

• Like 8