Piper PA-18 SuperCub with Bushwheels

In celebration of me purchasing my first real aircraft, I decided to do a model of it. This is a 1964 Piper PA-18 SuperCub with 29” Alaskan Bush Wheels. It’s not 100% accurate to mine as there are many subtle differences and I chose to do the kit markings. Mine is yellow with black stripes as well but a little different. This is Revell’s 1/32 PA18 kit and everything is oob except the radio antenna. 

This is my first General Aviation model and It was a nice diversion from the ww2 fighters I’ve been doing. Thanks for looking.
5-C6-CDA96-4577-458-E-8055-F5322395126-A
4-CF7-C1-DA-BCA9-4376-9237-C03-A6005-C86
A92-EA61-B-0-A1-D-4-A16-BEF6-56-E8238-AB
7-D2-DECBF-07-F1-4-D6-D-AA48-E1120-A976-
C5-E70-CEC-87-E6-4-C6-C-92-CF-3752540878
BBED8627-1-F1-C-42-F2-BE0-E-E43-C800-ADD

6-A592-D62-58-AE-456-C-A176-364-DA9-BB2-

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow, you have a Cub with tundra wheels! Only last night I said to my wife, Ann that the one thing would get me back to flying would be a yellow Cub. 

She wasn't convinced. I've gone off flying after 40 years. But I do really like yellow Cubs. 

• Thanks 1

This looks really great! A very neat build. It must be wonderful to own the old hack in real life. The wheels do look monstrous on picture 1.

• Thanks 1

Lovely! I’ve got one of these in the stash and it might come out to build next after seeing yours. It’s been 30 years since my PPL lapsed and I’d love to get back in to it.

• Thanks 1

Hey Robert

Nice job and it sure brings back memories.

I remember as a young lad, l lived right at Carp Airport, just outside of Ottawa.  Bradley Air Services was based there and I recall when the guys would load up the Cubs with a 45 gallon drum of fuel in the rear seat and head up to Resolute, or Tuktoyaktuk.  Each plane was fitted with the tundra tires.  I do believe the tundra tires were invented at Carp airport and if memory serves me well, it may have been Weldy Phips who came up with the idea.  Details may be a bit hazy as this is 55 years ago.  I just remember thinking, it took a lot of guts to fly a Cub all the way up north.

Cheers

Randy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A really stimulating change of subject from the usual hackneyed fare of Bf 109s and more Bf 109s!

Elegant model with a fab yellow finish!

Kind regards,

Joachim

And what's wrong with Bf 109s? 🙂

yes, a stunning model. We need more GA subjects - no arguments over late-war greens or RLM 84...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Many thanks for the kind words gents. 

On 1/25/2020 at 9:32 AM, Randy Lutz said:

Hey Robert

Nice job and it sure brings back memories.

I remember as a young lad, l lived right at Carp Airport, just outside of Ottawa.  Bradley Air Services was based there and I recall when the guys would load up the Cubs with a 45 gallon drum of fuel in the rear seat and head up to Resolute, or Tuktoyaktuk.  Each plane was fitted with the tundra tires.  I do believe the tundra tires were invented at Carp airport and if memory serves me well, it may have been Weldy Phips who came up with the idea.  Details may be a bit hazy as this is 55 years ago.  I just remember thinking, it took a lot of guts to fly a Cub all the way up north.

Cheers

Randy

That is very interesting and I didn’t know that. I do know these tires have changed aviation and have made the whole world accessible by airplane. 

That is a lovely looking build of a pretty darn magic machine Robert. Some of the vids I've watched on YouTube of what these can do is mind boggling. I'd love to get some more detail/photos of your one. I'm not envious, really. :D

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Yep, that turned out great!  I've recently gotten involved in a J-3 - in fact the Stromberg carb is sitting here on my desk.  Right now we're trying to get an engine sorted so that come spring we can frighten the seagulls.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a lovely looking build of a pretty darn magic machine Robert. Some of the vids I've watched on YouTube of what these can do is mind boggling. I'd love to get some more detail/photos of your one. I'm not envious, really. :D

Steve.

Here’s mine. 

spacer.png

• Thanks 1