RCAF Westland Wapiti photo collection

72modeler

Since there doesn't seem to be a lot of good photo references on the Wapiti, and with the CMR kit, and announcement from Special Hobby  for a Wapiti as a future release, I thought these might be timely and useful.

Mike

http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warplanes-1-the-biplane-era-westland-wapiti_702.html

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

It won't open. Says Service Unavailable.

Chris

That's weird- I can open it from the internet as well as from the link I posted....there's something I have learned recently that some internet providers have a nasty habit of blocking some ip addresses, if there's one  in their server bank that is suspect. I have to access BM via another browser for the same reason. I don't understand it fully, but BM's Mike  explained it to me after repeated tries to fix the problem (Not BM's doing, let me clarify!)

Mike

JWM

The photo is a fairly well-known fake - I've seen the original somewhere.  Skaarup should have known better.

The RCAF never put floats on a Wapiti, not even once, while 503 was a Blackburn Shark that had a long and well-photographed RCAF career.

Carl

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In that link, the second and third photos show Wapiti J9237. This aircraft didn't belong to the RCAF. It was sent to Canada, by the Air Ministry, for cold weather testing.

Chris

@dogsbody, @JWM, and @Carl V,

On a good day, I'm hard-pressed to tell a Wallace from a Wallaby, a Vildebeest from a Victor, or a Wapiti from a Whirlwind! (I do know a Shark when I see one, though!) I just post 'em- I leave it up to you who have expertise in the subject to identify the mistakes. That being said, Harold's captions are light  years ahead of the ones you see on Pinterest! Another reason why BM is the best site for accuracy. (Gotta go- trying to find a Hurricane photo that @Troy SmithTroy Smith hasn't seen, yet!  😜

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Of course the "Wapiti fuselage for instruction purposes" is a Siskin.

Canadian Wapiti's are strange beasts. For the record the Canadian canopy bears no relationship whatsoever to that fitted to the Wallace. The canopy on the Wallace slides forwards.  Of interest to me is what was the purpose of the extra hump aft of the gun ring and what appears to be a deflector strake. The smaller hump on the RAF Wapiti held the radio equipment.

J9237 was also the first metal winged Mk.II

John

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just came across this photo on a thread on ScaleModels.ru:

28a28d22981a.jpg

No idea where it originally came from, or if there are any other similar shots, but it's the clearest Wapiti photo I've come across. 534, in the foreground, was R.A.F. Wapiti K1330, and A41 (an instructional airframe serial) was R.C.A.F. 538, previously R.A.F. K1342 which had served with 600 Sqn.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Now all we need is a nice, new-mould Wapiti to go along with these nice photographs (a Wallace would be most welcome also).

Regards,

Jason

Jason, good news, the Dora Wings was announcing Wallace & Wapiti for 2020 :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1