This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Des

Picard - Amazon Prime

First Episode this evening and unfortunately it is going to be a weekly release with each of the next nine following on successive Friday's rather than the complete series to binge on (or be patient for the next two and a half months then binge) but first was very interesting although I think an awful lot of back-story will be filled in weeks to come.

So no spoilers please !

My SWMBO and DW checked this out. All of out attempts to view the show were met with a 'subscription required' message. We have Amazon Prime, but it appears a CBS All Access subscription is required. @Des, do you have that? 

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

My SWMBO and DW checked this out. All of out attempts to view the show were met with a 'subscription required' message. We have Amazon Prime, but it appears a CBS All Access subscription is required. @Des, do you have that? 

No just the normal UK Amazon Prime subscription for around 8 or 9 pounds a month.

I've got a 30-day free trial of Prime (being cancelled this week) - just checked, and found 'Picard' is watchable there...

....but I'd already watched the first episode online - I didn't like CBS's last Star Trek outing, but this one looks good...

8 hours ago, Des said:

No just the normal UK Amazon Prime subscription for around 8 or 9 pounds a month.

Hm, this is indeed a US v. UK difference. US: "Included with CBS All Access on Amazon from $5.99/month after trial"; UK: "Watch for £0.00 with Prime"

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Hm, this is indeed a US v. UK difference. US: "Included with CBS All Access on Amazon from $5.99/month after trial"; UK: "Watch for £0.00 with Prime"

Possibly one of the many strange licencing anomalies that seem to affect streaming services in different parts of the world such as 'Longmire' which was eventually taken over and the final few series made by Netflix but is not available on Netflix UK because originally another UK based broadcaster held the rights to it but no longer seem to.

I just watched it lastnight. I'll say it has potential to be either very good and complex story telling or overly preachy and moralizing. Hopefully it will lean towards the former rather than the latter.

I'll give it a chance to get it's legs and hit stride before judging deeply.

Funnily enough earlier today on free to air TV, there was an advertisement for Picard. Good to see Seven of Nine again with a phaser in both hands firing at something. Going to have to buy myself an Amazon Prime gift card before long.

Thoroughly enjoyed ep.1 - it exceeded all my hopes for it. 

Quite unusually for a modern drama it managed to set up an intriguing mystery without leaving you feeling totally confused about what was going on. I remember Patrick Stewart saying he'd only return if there was a good story to tell - so far, so good I think.

Steve.

Episode 2 tonight and not intended as a spoiler but includes the use of very un-Starfleet language . . . . . twice !!!!

Saw the second episode  on Friday. This series shaping up to be very very good. This is not  TNG, its a gritty thriller set in the Star Trek universe. Excellent effects.

Yep, still loving this, the episodes go by very quickly.

Lots of references back to TNG era Trek and I hope we gradually get to see more of how we got from there to 'here'. Very intrigued by what's happening at the reclamation site.

I did read elsewhere that the language referred to above was caused by the character learning English from episodes of Father Ted, which made me giggle 😄.

Steve.

I'm warming up to it pretty quickly.

It's showing Starfleet's dirtier side, which I quite like when Star Trek does.

Looks like it's going to be decently gritty.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:40 PM, upnorth said:

It's showing Starfleet's dirtier side, which I quite like when Star Trek does.

Looks like it's going to be decently gritty.

Patrick Stewart, as always, puts in a stellar performance. Difficult to believe he's nearly 80! I have thoroughly enjoyed all 4 episodes.

Story a bit complex but, It will all fall into place soon enough.

I particularly like the almost comic interaction between Picard and his housekeepers - former operatives of the Romulan Tal Shiar!

I think its very refreshing to see the dirty side of Star fleet.

Even though this is fantasy, I never believed that the Federation's touchy feely, nicey, nicey, pink fluffy bunny, let's be nice to everybody approach was anything remotely realistic! 😂

They would never survive without someone willing to come off the self righteous, moral high ground and get their hands dirty so, one reason why I am particularly looking forward to the Section 31 spin off😊

Ps, just a small point. Wonder if they'll dig up Brian Brophy to reprise his role as Cdr Bruce Maddox..

Pps. Always glad to see Seven of Nine😂

Allan