Any aftermarket plans for a Hunter trainer conversion in 1/48?

NorthBayKid

On 1/27/2020 at 7:54 PM, 71chally said:

I never heard of them becoming single seaters.

The T.7Bs and T.8Bs were used for Buccaneer Pilot training had a partial Buccaneer instrument panel fitted on the port side.  These were used by the RAF and Royal Navy, some T.8Bs serving in both.

I have got photos of a T.8B cockpit but would need to dig them out.

T.8M was used for Sea Harrier Blue Fox radar training, sadly never got any pics of T.8M cockpit when I had the chance to, I fear the FAAM example s the only option on this now.

Hi 71 Chally and gang

Please could you forward any cockpit picture that you may have, that could be used for different layouts. For those that know my conversion kit I do not intend add or remove a tiny blip on the existing IP, but if there is a larger and more detailed cockpit change that can be verified then I will gladly look at doing that.

Other news I have just commissioned two new decal sets for later RAF colour schemed aircraft, 4 options on one sheet using the red, white and blue roundels and a second sheet with 3 options using just the later red and blue roundels, new roundels will be supplied with this sheet. 

These will be done in a similar way to the two earlier released sets, full set of resin parts and a decal sheet with either 4 options or 3 options.

Turn  around time for these being drawn and printed and ready for sale will be at least 2 but probably nearer to 3 months away, so that being said towards the end of April IF all goes well.

Other box offerings will follow on a 2 - 3 month sequence after April through to the end of 2020.

NOW for the rest of you, the T8M will follow, as will some of the other schemes mentioned in this thread but as has been said I cannot release every decal for every squadron / aircraft every flown and used.......but I will do my best to try and do some different aircraft and varied options.

The more support I get the more options can be done and released.

cheers Ali

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Hi 71 Chally and gang

Please could you forward any cockpit picture that you may have, that could be used for different layouts.

cheers Ali

I will comb my hard drive over the weekend and try and get some stuff to you.

Unfortunately I have none for the T.8M though, would love to see a decent cockpit shot of one.

Not being that familiar with the different marks of Hunter, am I correct in thinking that the T8.M 

On 2/13/2020 at 8:06 PM, Ali62 said:

NOW for the rest of you, the T8M will follow, as will some of the other schemes mentioned in this thread but as has been said I cannot release every decal for every squadron / aircraft every flown and used.......but I will do my best to try and do some different aircraft and varied options.

Not being that familiar with the different marks of Hunter, am I correct in thinking that the T Mk.8M conversion will require an Airfix F.Mk.6 donor kit, not an F.MK.4 ?

Many thanks

Looking at what Ali provides in the T.7/8 kit, it doesn't matter if you use the F.4 or the F.6 as the base kit.

The F.4 is a bit of a compromise as it still features the wing leading edge extensions and fuselage vents etc of the F.6.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Looking at what Ali provides in the T.7/8 kit, it doesn't matter if you use the F.4 or the F.6 as the base kit.

The F.4 is a bit of a compromise as it still features the wing leading edge extensions and fuselage vents etc of the F.6.

Airfix have provided for back-dating the wing in the F. 4 kit by inserts to replace the extended leading edges.  However very few, if any, of the two-seaters had the early wing so either boxing will do, but the F. 6 will yield less surplus plastic.

• Thanks 1

The trainer prototype, XJ615, initially didn't have the leading edge extensions, they were added later. Same for the brake chute housing.  The windscreen arrangement was very slightly different to production trainers though.

It would make for an interesting model in itself, I would definitely use the F.4 kit for that one.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:34 PM, Ali62 said:

Thank you, that will be great, best use this email, please [email protected]

cheers Ali

Hi Ali, I thought I had more pictures but these two are all I can find so will post here.

Firstly I just want to clarify my understanding of these sub Mks as I think I've confused them earlier.

The T.7A was a T.7 with the Lightning F.3, 2A & 6 integrated flight instrumentation, I believe these went on to serve as Buccaneer trainers.

The T.8B was a T.8 with Buccaneer integrated flight instrumentation.  The T.8B initially served in the Navy, but some went on to be used by the RAF when they got the Buccaneer, such as WV322.

However both of these Mks have the same instrumentation as each other.

7198287538_5172e4c5f8_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.8B WV322 Y instrument panel by James Thomas, on Flickr

49544564158_21d3641b10_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.8B WV722 Y cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr

The screen at top left is a modern GPS system, but the below schematic shows how it would have been,

49539781237_a3daa9f42c_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.7A Instrument Panel by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

Firstly I just want to clarify my understanding of these sub Mks as I think I've confused them earlier.

The T.7A was a T.7 with the Lightning F.3, 2A & 6 integrated flight instrumentation, I believe these went on to serve as Buccaneer trainers.

The T.8C was a T.8 with Buccaneer integrated flight instrumentation.  The T.8B initially served in the Navy, but some went on to be used by the RAF when they got the Buccaneer, such as WV322.

However both of these Mks have the same instrumentation as each other.

Just re-reading this I would like further clarification if at all possible.

Your last line says BOTH Mks have the same instrumentation, so does that include just the T.8C and B or does it include the T.7A, or is the A different?

• Like 1

I mean that the T.7A and the T.8B have the same integrated flight instrumentation IFIS mods.

You can see the T.8B photos are the same as the T.7A manual drawing.

WV722 in my photos above is listed as a T.8C, so either it was a T.8B that was upgraded with TACAN to become a C, or Wiki has them the wrong way around.

Hope that makes some sense!

@StephenMG is the chap for this!

Edited by 71chally

Okay Thanks !!!! I got you now.....so with this in mind I will have a look at tweaking the Panel just a little on the left hand side......at least it makes a change.

Will see of with a little more scratching and asking IF I can find out about the M version, for later in the year.

• Like 1

@Ali62, just stuck my head in the manuals and can clarify this now,

It is the T.7A and T.8B that has the Lightning and the Buccaneer Integrated Flight Instrumentation System (IFIS) fitted.

T.7A IFIS & TACAN 

T.8B IFIS & TACAN

T.8C TACAN only

So my photos were captioned wrongly, WV722 is a T.8B, sorry for any confusion.

I think the TACAN mod includes the large upright aerial seen behind the canopy.

The great thing is that you can do both a 7A and 8B with the same instrument panel, and you open up a multitude of wonderful marking options. Ex Navy T.8Bs went on to serve with the RAF, there is even one example, XE665, which retained it's Royal Navy colour scheme but got 208 Sqn markings.  

One oddity is T.7A WV318, this appears to have served with the RAF all of its career yet is fitted with a T.8 arrestor hook.

Edited by 71chally

On 1/25/2020 at 12:43 PM, IPMS19 said:

-After some strong return to the past I remind the T-7 transkit had been issued by Aeroclub, may be it is possible to find one on ebay or during  some model show swap

QYCMIz.jpg

Hi everyone,

Jean-Michel, that's an oustanding build! Wasn't aware of the existence of the Dynavector set. :hmmm:Say, what's the other set on the left of the Aeroclub set? Looks like a detailed cockpit. Is it Aires?

There's yet another T.7 1/48 conversion set by Heritage Aviation which is OOP now of which I got three samples. I'd like to get Ali's set but unfortunately, there's no Airfix Hunter kit to be found down here in the Pampas... :weep:

Yeh, there ain't...

Cheers,

Unc2

19 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Wasn't aware of the existence of the Dynavector set.

I think you've misunderstood. That's because there never was a Dynavector conversion kit. He remembered a conversion kit, speculated that it may have been Dynavector and corrected that it was actually Aeroclub he was thinking of.

29 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

I think you've misunderstood. That's because there never was a Dynavector conversion kit. He remembered a conversion kit, speculated that it may have been Dynavector and corrected that it was actually Aeroclub he was thinking of.

- I think so as it can be seen on the photo... at the time I wrote my topic I said I could'nt remember exactly the brand of the transkit I used , it duly was the Aeroclub model. I remeber having met their people at Telford they had several models in their catalogue and I made them a suggestion to give with their acetate canopies a resin frame skeleton which could have permit to show open canopies on their model as the thickness of the acetate is unrealistic.

9 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Noicester... :thumbsup: Thanks. Me's gotten it right this time round. The Aeroclub set looks quite awesome. Too bad it's OOP as well. 

Now, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction with regard to what the other set lying to the left of the Aeroclub set is? Is it a resin detailed cockpit by Aires, perhaps?

I seem to have become obsessed about it.

Yeh, me has...

Cheers,

Unc2

1/48 Hawker Hunter T.7 OCD

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Left, LEFT, L.E.F.T! Not right...

- About  AEROCLUB transkit they had a very nice range of conversion for two seater in 48;They had VAMPIRE/VENOM or METEOR and  this one for the   EE LIGHTNING - Is there something more up to date nowadays ?

yWFdXR.jpg

• Like 1

Jean-Michel, ça va my mate?

Yeh, I still rejoice in the awful bliss of once having won a bid for the Aeroclub 1/48 Lightning T.4/5 multimedia conversion set on evilBay.

Moments like those are the salt of my past life, which give meaning to my whole existence; instants I remember every time I'm blue or feeling a tad under the weather.

Needless to say when @Ali sold me his Aeroclub 1/48 Vulcan B.2 kit back in 2015!

Yeh, need not...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

@Ali62

This is all I have on the T.8M cockpit.

I think the most practical way to get photographs is to contact the Fleet Air Arm Museum about theirs.

50240378792_834fb09856_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.8M cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr

You can see the Sea Harrier FRS.1 stuff added in to the panel, radar and control mid upper panel, more controls to the upper port panel, and what look like SHar HUDs fitted.

There are various other bits, and it looks like a SHar U/C selector rather than the standard Hunter type.

Compare with T.7A and T.8B

49539781237_a3daa9f42c_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.7A cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr

Hunter T.7 (TACAN) and T.8C

50240234791_ff452b6ced_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.7 (TACAN) cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr

And standard T.8

50240164806_2a79c3dda5_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.8 cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr

Standard T.7

50240234781_af4057270d_b.jpg

Hawker Hunter T.7 cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr