Heller 1/72 Thunderjet.*****Finished********

stevej60

Afternoon folks,before my weekend away I glued in place the wheels so definitely set well by this morning.

20200210_111637

Not the best set of decals due to bad yellowing of the codes I ended up cutting off all of the clear backing which took ages but looks better.next job

is to paint the red and blue areas of the tail then tackle the canopy.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 8

Afternoon folks,bits and bobs done over the last couple of days the tail has been a pain trying to mask probably would have been better before adding the

tailplanes few more decals to find then I can start on the canopy and finish her.

20200212_161902

• Like 10

Hi folks,sadly I've hit my first hurdle with this collection of builds.The tail code number decals broke up then I realised due to me having to cut

the nose letters off the yellowed backing I've placed the port ones the wrong way round! Luckily I hadn't sealed them in and managed to remove

them without much hassle,so for now I'll have to leave this one which would have been finished today I'll keep an eye out for a new set in the usual

places and crack on with the Viggen.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Good luck with your search Steve and hopefully we'll get to see you continue progress on this one soon.

Thank's Col,they do turn up on e-bay and I've put a shout out in wanted here too something will turn up!

Hi Steve,

Thats a pity. I havew some Heller and also Modeldecal Thunderjet decals somewhere - I will dig them out and see if any might be of use. I am lucky in that black codes/serials are one of the easiest things to print myself so I have in the past made quite a few DIY decs for them. If I know the size and typeface/font I could probably print some.

Pete

• Like 1

That is a bitt of a bummer Steve. I’m just getting into these early NATO subjects myself and the application of squadron code lettering is quite different to normal RAF convention. I’m sure you’re not the only one to have done this, however Pete might be in a position to help you out with some home brew decals. He’s a good lad that @PeterB

Cheers.. Dave 

These any use?

84-crop

Heck of a difference between the ancient 1970's or so ones and those I bought about 20 years ago - did both in USAF so sheets no use to me. I guess yours were old ones as they have sorted the tail "flash" on the later ones. I still have your address if you want them. French roundels still out of register though not as much!

Pete.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi  folk's,thanks to @PeterB we're nearly there,as you can see from Pete's photo the newer decals have what I consider to be the correct blue for the

flashes I tried to overlay them but they are a touch smaller so I'll just live with it as is.This ones within touching distance of the finish line now.

20200226_104647

• Like 8

Hi Steve,

The new ones may be the correct colour but looking at the pic it seems to me that they suffer from mis-alignment of the central blue bar, or more correctly perhaps the red triangle, which is not symmetric. The old ones may not be the correct colour but their alignment looks a lot better.

Whatever, it has ended up looking fine to me.

Cheers

Pete

sorry I can't see the difference (more likely I'm not too sure what you're talking about! :whistle:).

Anyway, she's looking great Steve, well done, she's almost there.

The others look good in the background

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

sorry I can't see the difference (more likely I'm not too sure what you're talking about! :whistle:).

Anyway, she's looking great Steve, well done, she's almost there.

The others look good in the background

Hi Rich,the newer issue decal flashes are a dark blue matching the roundel's which I presume is correct.

are it's ok.....I thought you had used them and I could see a difference.......reading the post correctly makes a world of difference!! 

Reading it properly would have made me seem less of a wally..........hmmm nah I am one anyway! :D

• Haha 2

Morning folks,three attempts at getting a satisfactory finish on the canopy not 100% happy but calling it a day,should get some decent light in a day or 

two so I'll get her in the gallery.

20200306_110431

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Considering the mini set backs steve thats a fine job , on to more important matters ,how did the whitby real ale walk go , sure footed i hope 😁

Many thank's Glynn,we had a great weekend good food and drink especially the Plum  Porter being sold in our go to pub!

• Thanks 1