1:72 CMR Martin AM-1 Mauler

On 19/02/2020 at 18:11, TheRealMrEd said:

Heads up, Bill!

spacer.png

I don't think it's supposed to go this way.... LOL

Ed

Besides the tail wheel being reversed (I'm sure that just happened when it was "backed in" to its parking spot) but the angled lines on the fin should only be on the port side. They are for the LSO and OLS to help judge the approach (I think).

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Besides the tail wheel being reversed (I'm sure that just happened when it was "backed in" to its parking spot) but the angled lines on the fin should only be on the port side. They are for the LSO and OLS to help judge the approach (I think).

Cheers,

Bill

Yes and yes. Also see https://thanlont.blogspot.com/2009/12/reason-for-those-lines-on-vertical-fin.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress, as the fuselage is closed up and the wings and tailplanes are on. I will need some filler on the seams, but overall the fit isn't too bad. I think I removed too much resin when I was cleaning up the holes for the tailplanes, but I can fix that pretty easily.

IMG_5334

The engine face and exhausts need to be painted prior to installing inside the cowl - only then can the cowl be added to the fuselage. The cowling face is a bit smaller than the cowl itself, so more filler and sculpting will be need to avoid a step. I love modelling.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

Oh, it starts to come together. I have a soft spot for these big, late war torpedo fighters/attackers (Firebrand, Wyvern, Mauler, Skyraider) and the AM-1 is the most obscure of the bunch. Great to see it built here 😀

Markus

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, the joys of resin modelling, and the spiritual nirvana attained through the filling of pinholes.

IMG_5337

IMG_5338

Although I must admit, this is unusual for CMR. In any event, continue we must - because I haven't filled them all yet.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 15

So, where was I? Ah, yes, the Martin Mauler. She's up on her legs, and I've added the carburettor air intake above the cowling.

IMG_5344

I elected not to use the white metal main gear legs, as they are quite literally softer and more flexible than the resin legs. Now, speaking about the cowling - due to the way the exhausts are installed, I've elected to not add the cowling onto the model until much later. Otherwise, it would be more difficult to mask the exhausts when the overall Dark Sea Blue goes on. Accordingly, I think I've sanded and shaped both the fuselage and cowling so that there should not be any seams that look different than a panel line. Ha! Famous last words.    :)

I added the engine face to the cowling, but frankly almost none of it will be visible once the prop and spinner go on. The two round intake screens below the engine will be about all you'll be able to see. The inside of the cowling is painted Zinc Chromate Green in the unlikely event that it can be seen near the exhausts.

IMG_5345

As I think I mentioned before, the front face is somewhat smaller than the cowling:

IMG_5346

But, on the eighth day God created putty, and I shall put it to good use. The photos that I have seem to indicate that the inside of the front face is Dark Sea Blue, so I suspect that will need to be painted before I glue it to the cowling. I've decided the armament will be the three large aerial torpedoes, which when painted yellow and red will make a nice contrast with the blue aircraft.

Stay safe out there. Peace, love, and the Beatles.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

So, where was I? Ah, yes, the Martin Mauler. She's up on her legs, and I've added the carburettor air intake above the cowling.

IMG_5344

Stay safe out there. Peace, love, and the Beatles.

Cheers,

Bill

This is going to look great with those colourful torpedoes Bill.

Peace, love and the Sex Pistols.

Aging punk rocker of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@Learstang

Bill,

She's looking pretty good! Sure hope those resin gear struts will be up to supporting three torpedoes, especially if they are also resin! I think you might be right about the interior color of the cowling. I found a link to some good photos that I have posted below. Admittedly it's a pretty weatherbeaten example, but the finish should be original. If you click on each photo, you can see a larger image. Looks to my untrained old Mk 1 eyeballs that the interior of the cowl nose ring is indeed sea blue, with the remainder of the cowling finished in what looks like faded interior green, FS 34151. What do you think?

Mike

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22207801@N00/2934816366

I assume you have already found these, but just in case...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Martin Mauler usn museum&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACZfvNJaagAMEImChmYxDyLPSL1bZ4yBS_1iOvqc5d2RLTksB43ZEmCdcns0NKpiXoU6ZtvlAQwFKtEmQSCoPKruKdxe1Ghf9MRXUQthKrhAC3xFQDV2ShwOKBTlmjd-oHumTCs65Z-TJ1GGMqEgmhmYxDyLPSLxFL6S3kAw1kVioSCVbZ4yBS_1iOvEcK30HmONnpQKhIJqc5d2RLTksARS-kt5AMNZFYqEgl43ZEmCdcnsxFL6S3kAw1kVioSCUNKpiXoU6ZtEd6HreH9OFpVKhIJvlAQwFKtEmQRvSsnjUqpyaMqEgkSCoPKruKdxREk28LKr6ggSSoSCe1Ghf9MRXUQEfITbsojcw3eKhIJthKrhAC3xFQR_1TaaZBsTk5cqEgkDV2ShwOKBThFL6S3kAw1kVioSCVmjd-oHumTCERoObccnB9RHKhIJs65Z-TJ1GGMR9oGLvr0XQXdhS-kt5AMNZFY&hl=en-US&ved=0CBsQuIIBahcKEwjgnMTJ88roAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQMQ&biw=1263&bih=654

Edited by 72modeler
added link

17 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Looks to my untrained old Mk 1 eyeballs that the interior of the cowl nose ring is indeed sea blue, with the remainder of the cowling finished in what looks like faded interior green, FS 34151. What do you think?

Looks like I guessed right. I misspoke (mistyped?) in my last post though - I sprayed the inside of the cowling Gunze Interior Green, not Zinc Chromate Green. You think I would know the difference by now. Geez.   :)

Thanks for the links to the photos. There were quite a few I hadn't seen before.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Need to take a short break from modelling, as I have a contract job from an old employer that will occupy most of my time for the next several weeks. Sorry!   :(

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I shall return, but unlike MacArthur I'm not going to get my boots wet.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, look at how little I can accomplish while the world is stay at home on lock-down!    :drunk:

First, since the inside of the cowl face is Glossy Sea Blue, I figured it would be no fun at all if I had to somehow mask the "engine face" after everything was all together, so I decided to paint the inside of the cowl face with GSB before it all goes together.

IMG_5350

Now, I can just stick some foam in the cowl openings when I paint the rest of the bird. (Tamiya XF-17, by the way, as my BRAND NEW bottle of Testors Glossy Sea Blue - about the only one of their paints I ever use - was rubber when I opened it. Nice shelf life. No wonder they're exiting the business.)

Second, you may recall that the diameter of the cowl face is a bit less than the cowling itself, and I didn't like the idea of just adding putty and trying to shape it, as the curve might not transition smoothly. So, I made a spacer to move the cowl face out slightly, which should make the blended curve smoother, after I putty her up and sand her down.

IMG_5349

I don't know if any of that makes sense to you, but it does to me. Besides, I just took the AARP on-line "brain assessment test" and my score was right at the top of the bell curve. Perfectly average for a geezer my age. My only "area of concern" was cognitive flexibility, which apparently has something to do with visualizing and manipulating 3-D shapes in your mind. Oh, wait...    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Oh, by the way, I finished the job for my old employer (a book covering the 75 year history of the company), and his comment was "not bad." Then, of course, it was hard right rudder, a complete new theme and direction, and I'm looking at a pretty big rewrite. Oh well, he is paying me by the hour.   :confused:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

I added a gunsight and a lame canopy arch and rail. It will be hard to see any of this once the one piece windscreen/canopy goes on.

IMG_5359

I'm going to add the canopy tonight using Gator Grip thin blend and let it cure overnight. Then I should be able to finish the overall Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue, followed by shininess. The markings will have to come from the Island of Misfit Stickers, as no decals came with the kit (which is why it was such a bargain!). I have a couple of Skyraider decal sheets which I think will give me enough to create a proper scheme. Luckily, the Ginter book shows all of the units which operated the Mauler and I'll be using that reference extensively.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

Hi mates,

I'm finally back working on this baby. Sorry for the long delay, I will have to make sure that life stays out of the way in the future. So, what's new? Not much, but the Mauler has its coat of Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue.

IMG_5441

This, as you can see, has a flat finish and is probably meant for WWII subjects but it's the only Sea Blue I have at the moment. Based on the work I did on the inside of the cowling, it looks much better after the gloss finish goes on. First, though, are some pinholes I missed which is unfortunate as this paint without an overcoat does not like to handled. Very easy to scuff and scratch. But it will need some more sprayed on anyway to cover up the pinhole repairs - that's modelling for you.

I love Glossy Sea Blue USN subjects - everything is blue! Fuselage, wheel bays, landing gear (usually), arresting hook. Not a lot of masking involved here.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 12

See, I told you it would look different when it had some shiny stuff added!

IMG_5443

Amazing how something that's clear can have such an effect. Anyway, the culprit in this case is "GSI Creos GX112 Mr. Color GX UV Cut Gloss Super Clear." Now you know why I just say shiny stuff - too many adjectives (and syllables) in the actual name!    :)

While this cures, I'll have a go at the weapons. The load-out will be three aerial torpedoes and 12 250 lb bombs, as shown on page 13 of the Ginter book. According to the photo caption, and the nice colour photo on the back cover, the weapons, even the bombs, are overall yellow (looks like Insignia Yellow FS13538 to me) with red tips on the torpedoes. That should be quite striking against the dark blue. Plus, I'll be doing a Mauler from USN Reserve Squadron VA-733 at Naval Air Station Grosse Isle in 1950 which has an International Orange rear fuselage band and a white spinner. So, some nice colour. I'm not sure any aircraft from that unit ever carried this particular load-out, so we'll just cue up some modeller's license to make it happen.

Toodles,

Bill

• Like 13