Seeking info, drawings, photos for b-24 liberator enclosed waist windows with frame from both sides

Nick Nichols

You will probably have more success with this post in the WW 2 forum rather then the WW 1 one. You can click on the "Report Post" link in the upper right corner and ask the moderator to move it.

• Thanks 1

Nick,

There were three different styles of enclosed waist gun positions fitted to Liberators, IIRC; your best bet would be to try and find a copy of the MMP Consolidated Mess, by Alan Griffith- it will have drawings, photos, and description of all of the gun positions on  B-24's that were equipped with nose turrets. You might also look for B-24H/J walkarounds, beginning with the WA section here on BM. (See Julien @Julien- I can be taught!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice, Mike.

I do not have this book, and unfortunately, probably it will not. And I reviewed thousands of photos on the flickr.com, but I didn 't find what I was looking for. Only one gun position is interested, the one that was on b-24j 44-40268 "kentucky belle": http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/19613

It is strange that in the last photo, on this B-24 there is no nose art, and a completely different waist gun positions

• 3 years later...

Just resurrecting this thread as I'm building Kentucky Belle using the Hasegawa kit. Photo's show the waist guns with enclosed framed windows that aren't included in the Hasegawa kit. Does anyone know if the Academy kit has them or any good close up pics to help me to see if scratch building them is possible?

Edit: looking at pics online, it appears that it originally started off with the removable windows but was upgraded at some point so could go for either style, but any help on the enclosed panel still appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

The Academy B-24M has fully-enclosed waist gun windows, although they're the single-pane with staggered guns (forward lower corner on one side, aft on the other) rather than framed type with centered guns seen on Kentucky Belle.

SN

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 1:29 AM, 72modeler said:

your best bet would be to try and find a copy of the MMP Consolidated Mess, by Alan Griffith- it will have drawings, photos, and description of all of the gun positions on  B-24's that were equipped with nose turrets.

Looking a bit for this book, it seems like you have your retirement fund if owning one - 200€ delivered. But looking a bit further around, it may be found at under 40€, which seems most reasonable. Amazingly the seller had a few other titles i was looking for (well, not exactly... but hey, they were there, and prices good) - so many (or no...) thanks @72modeler Mike for inducing yet another book buy 😜

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dov said:

Hallo

Depending on the variant,

depending on the restoration accuracy,

you may choose:

https://www.primeportal.net/hangar/b-24_home.htm

Happy modelling

Thanks, I had a look through them, but none matched the image. 

5 hours ago, Steve N said:

The Academy B-24M has fully-enclosed waist gun windows, although they're the single-pane with staggered guns (forward lower corner on one side, aft on the other) rather than framed type with centered guns seen on Kentucky Belle.

SN

Thanks, that's good to know for future builds.

5 hours ago, tempestfan said:

Looking a bit for this book, it seems like you have your retirement fund if owning one - 200€ delivered. But looking a bit further around, it may be found at under 40€, which seems most reasonable. Amazingly the seller had a few other titles i was looking for (well, not exactly... but hey, they were there, and prices good) - so many (or no...) thanks @72modeler Mike for inducing yet another book buy 😜

I might treat myself to a Christmas present if I can get one for a reasonable price thanks.

Interestingly, not only was the waist gun windows changed, armour plating below the cockpit is present on some photo's too, so this was another modification to consider. more studying to be done. The easy route is to go for the pre-mod look, but quite like the modified look.

some useful images here:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/aircraft/44-40268

If I may I will report - I received my parcel from Poland today, and have to admit I'm impressed! Both by "Consolidated Mess" after a quick scan, but also by that particular seller. @72modeler Mike: MANY THANKS for making me aware of that title, which I'd have otherwise remained ignorant of. It looks like I will read it just for the fun of it. To whet anyone's appetite, the parcel included the Monografie Lotnicze on the Baltimore (which is a certain favourite of mine), at an incredible EUR 15 new; having checked the prices for it on other platforms watered my eyes - multiply by 6.5; and Kipp/Lindsay's RAFG Hunters. That one I will read as well. Anyone interested in that seller drop me a line, as long as you promise you won't buy all the books I want 🙂

3 hours ago, tempestfan said:

If I may I will report - I received my parcel from Poland today, and have to admit I'm impressed! Both by "Consolidated Mess" after a quick scan, but also by that particular seller. @72modeler Mike: MANY THANKS for making me aware of that title, which I'd have otherwise remained ignorant of. It looks like I will read it just for the fun of it. To whet anyone's appetite, the parcel included the Monografie Lotnicze on the Baltimore (which is a certain favourite of mine), at an incredible EUR 15 new; having checked the prices for it on other platforms watered my eyes - multiply by 6.5; and Kipp/Lindsay's RAFG Hunters. That one I will read as well. Anyone interested in that seller drop me a line, as long as you promise you won't buy all the books I want 🙂

I'm so glad  I could be of help. IIRC, the same author is also working on another volume that will cover all of the versions from the prototype to the B-24D. Keep an eye out for it!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 2:22 AM, 72modeler said:

I'm so glad  I could be of help. IIRC, the same author is also working on another volume that will cover all of the versions from the prototype to the B-24D. Keep an eye out for it!

Mike

After having been a bit into the "Mess", I will place a preorder for any of this authors follow-ons. I have a couple of books, somehow, and "Mess" simply reads well from word 1, and there is an incredible wealth of facts presented. The seller from which I bought "Mess" had quite a couple more MMP's on offer at very decent prices. So again - many thanks @72modeler Mike for boosting my library; once again 🙂