This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Brad

Junkers Ju 87D-8 Nachtschlachtgruppe 9, Italy 1944

I'll be using the always pretty good Hasegawa model in 1/48. The NSGr aircraft were employed as night harassment and were rather effective at the job. Pilots were specially trained in instrument flying for their role. They also had some pretty good camouflages and debate still rages about what colours were used. I will be going for the highly camouflaged version too.

DROyGq9.jpg

I did an NSGr 9 bird in 2018, i went with a standard splinter scheme with wave-mirror camouflage sprayed over it using an Italian green color. Heres a link as there is some good info in there. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037785-its-a-bent-winged-bird-just-not-a-corsair/

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. 

Dennis

4 hours ago, Brad said:

I'll be using the always pretty good Hasegawa model in 1/48. The NSGr aircraft were employed as night harassment and were rather effective at the job. Pilots were specially trained in instrument flying for their role. They also had some pretty good camouflages and debate still rages about what colours were used. I will be going for the highly camouflaged version too.

I always liked these night attack Stukas, good luck with your build and welcome to the GB.

Another great choice. Will be a challenge to paint but certainly very attractive looking.

Enjoy your build and challenge.

Cheers, Peter

Great subject. Look forward to the build.

A minor start tonight on the interior. I do have some seat belts to jazz it up a bit.

8jNXSns.jpg?1

Just making sure the side walls have a nice fit to the cockpit rim to reduce filling and sanding.

ooTAJxJ.jpg?1

Very pleased to see a Night Attacker Ju 87 in the G/B . Good luck with the squiggle

Cheers

Alistair

Interesting subject. Love the Camo scheme.

The best reference is Ghost Bombers - The Moonlight War of NSG 9. PM me your email address if you want some pictures. The uppersurface camo of the Hase box looks right but the lower surface does not accord with the pictures.

Mucking around with some of the smaller parts and the interior colour. Looking at pictures there's no dive brakes and I don't think there is a bomb sling either. Wing guns seem to vary, some with the long barrel 20mm others with machine guns and some with none fitted. I'll probably go with the cannons because, why not?

JuX0Drk.jpg?1

A bit of weathering. I usually mix in a bit of flat clear with my wash to give everything anice finish and to stick the pigment down.

b6zUIM7.jpg

141029 Heinrich-Heinrich was actually a D-5 not a D-8 as Hase have it and should have had 20mm cannons, a bomb sling but no dive brakes. The picture doesn't help much.

I added some seat belts to the cockpit and closed her up, I needed to cut a couple of the frames to get a good fit, this might be my error though. Couldn't work out where I made the alignment error that caused tehe cockpit to snag, so a little chop chop worked.

TtU8ZEU.jpg

Rest of the fuselage fits nicely. Wings look like a bit of a tricky fit, not tackling that post midnight though.

aK1nslm.jpg

Onto the wings. I nearly made the fatal mistake of putting the wings on before the nose and pushing the lower wing all the way up into the fuselage, this would have given me a terrible fit of the forward lower fuselage and the upper wings to fuselage. I found the fit quite snug though and if you line it all up, little if any filling required. I then attached each upper wing separately. 

p9nNdTa.jpg?1

lKaFCDH.jpg?1

Fit was ok, although I ended up with a large gap on the trailing edge.

Tail, tail wheel and bomb all go on nicely.

458RlIM.jpg?1

Gear spats and outer bomb racks present no real problem. Yes you can fit the wheels after you glue the spats together. I've fitted one of the 20mm, the white metal parts supplied are not the best and require a good amount of clean up, but be careful they are very soft and bend if you just look at them the wrong way.

uer1P5d.jpg?1

That's about all for tonight, might get some done tomorrow but have a big weekend of cricket and drinking ahead of me.

Got some RLM 65 on it tonight

YVY2kgA.jpg

Too humid to paint today, but got the canopy and windscreen on. Unfortunately Hasegawa Stukas have the canopy molded separately but they didn't make an allowance for the hood to slide over the back piece with ease, so you need to push it and that leads to cracking. So closed it is.

3kHvZ0f.jpg