EA6B Prowler

phildagreek

Yesterday, my mother in law arrived and presented me with this:

49433680771_e6ee58d755.jpgProwler 2 by phil da greek, on Flickr

She saw it in one of the charity shops in town and thought i might like it! Very nice of her, i offered to pay but she refused saying she could the £1 she paid for it!

I know it's an older kit, but opening it up and looking at the very simple instructions it appears to all be there and nothing has been touched.

49433210068_fd3ebd1d4e.jpgProwler 1 by phil da greek, on Flickr

Apart from the decals looking tired it all looks good, i know there are a ton of aftermarket decals and i'm trying to decide on a scheme, but a question if anybody can offer advice. The cockpit is totally bare of detail, i see on ebay some Aires aftermarket cockpits, some specify for the Kinetic kit and others for the Revell kit both early and later ICAP versions, does anybody know if any of these will fit this Airfix beastie? Or can be persuaded to fit with the minimum of swearing, sweat & (probably) blood?

Thanks for any knowledge you have to share.

• Like 4

Its not the best kit, but for £1 most of us would have picked it up.

You take your chances with any aftermarket as none was designed for this kit I think.

Julien

A pound!!!!! 🤗 bargain. It’s a great kit and you’ll have a lot of fun. I think I bought the Aires cockpit but it was for the Revell kit. (Check the thread I cant remember) you will have to cut her down a fair bit but it does fit in and looks great. 🤩

I’ll tag along if you don’t mind. I have never seen one built from the other side before.  Good luck sir.😇

Johnny.

• Like 1

Yes, a stunning bargain and you obviously chose exceptionally wisely when you married!

Do put a link here to your thread in https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/52-work-in-progress-aircraft/ when you get started, I'd love to watch. I'm sure your m-i-l will be pleased to see the end result!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I too would by it for a quid! But. It is a horrid Palitoy creation. I think Airfix planned to release it in 1/72 but was usurped by another company so it was pantographed up to 1/48 and it shows. I wondered at the time Why Airfix would expand into 1/48 scale after ignoring it for decades and would chose such a relatively unknown aircraft to do so. (I think it was their first, or second. The Hurricane came out about the same time) If anyone wants a good Prowler, get the Revellogram one as the Airfix is a bit too round-at-the-edges.

On opening the box for the first time, I thought the rear operator positions were a work of fiction as good photos of it were hard to find then, but no, on checking eventually, Airfix got it right.    

• Like 1