Tamiya F-51D Mustang 1/72 "FAG 315" Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca, Part 1

Hi all,

Another pony heads out of stable for your delectation. She is, as you can see, adorned in the markings of the Fuerza Aerea Guatemalteca (the Guatemalan Air Force) as she was when operating in the mid-1950s. Specifically she is “FAG 315” (ex- 44-74902) and is reported in some records as being ex-Nicaraguan. She went on to be one of the last Mustangs to operate in Guatemala and was sold in the US in 1974 as N38227. She spent many, many years in a cosy barn on the ranch of Conny Edwards in Texas and eventually was the last of the 1974 purchase to hit the market. This was only relatively recently. I am building her again in later markings, pre-US.  https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/barn-find-p-51-mustang-for-sale-4-5-million.html

FAG315 owl

Courtesy: Dan Hagerdorn "North American F-51 Mustangs in Latin American Service"

The Guatemalans applied a number of different colour and marking schemes to their Mustangs and various photos show FAG 315 in around half a dozen. This one shows a late 1950s scheme with the “FAG” Owl badge alongside. At other times she carried an Aztec marking. Later these badges were dropped.

What did I use?

1.       Kit – Tamiya P-51D Mustang 1/72 (49), with some F-51D parts added

2.       Decals – Aztec “Mayan Gods” set (72-012). Thanks @busnproplinerfan

3.       Aftermarket/other – only the underwing tanks, which were taken from a HobbyBoss F4U-1 as a cheap way of getting something close to what I needed

4.       Paints – Humbrol Enamels – Polished Aluminium (27002), Polished Steel (27003), Matt Black, Insignia Yellow, Interior Green, a mix of Blues (89) and (104) for the tail markings and others

Weathering etc, Prismacolor Silver pencil (canopy framing etc)

DSC_0901

DSC_0895

DSC_0896

I hope you're not too bored of my Mustngs yet....

Martin

• Like 57

Martin,

Ho hum- yet another outstanding "furrin" Mustang build! I do like the markings on this one. In the photo you posted, is that a different radio fit I see behind the seat? For the benefit of others who might like to see 44-74902 as she was sometimes painted, see the attached link. (There are those tanks again, my friend!) Nice to see you've used your time wisely since you got back!

Mike

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/survivors/serial/44-74902

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Beautiful build and finish Martin,great to see a very different scheme on one of these ponies!

Thanks Steve. You'll know by now that I go for the more unusual.... ;)

8 hours ago, Toryu said:

Man, is this an attractive stallion - will find a mare in no time!

Again, thanks mate. 

7 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Very nice build.

Thanks Andy

6 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I'm never bored of beautiful Mustangs, this turned out really nice!

Thanks Roman. I have a few more to come. Next is a more Southerly machine :)

5 hours ago, Pedro1 said:

Me gusta mucho!

Muchas gracias, hombre :)

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Martin,

Ho hum- yet another outstanding "furrin" Mustang build! I do like the markings on this one. In the photo you posted, is that a different radio fit I see behind the seat? For the benefit of others who might like to see 44-74902 as she was sometimes painted, see the attached link. (There are those tanks again, my friend!) Nice to see you've used your time wisely since you got back!

Mike

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/survivors/serial/44-74902

Thanks Mike. I try to do my best.

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

As others have said, nice to see a different scheme for a different operator.

Stuart

Your praise is taken with many thanks, Stuart

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

Martin...

Oooh Be Still MY BEATING  HEART.

Mustangs  ... LOVE them..  can't have too many and yours is STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL. 

:heart:

:wub:

Good Job.

:wow:   

KUDOS  on a SUPER  model.

:worthy:  :worthy:

Thanks mate

48 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

Thanks again, mate.

Martin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

In the photo you posted, is that a different radio fit I see behind the seat?

Possibly but looking at other FAG Mustangs it looks like there was the same boxes but one was NMF. I realised too late for this one, sadly. By the way, the tanks on N38227 shown at Oshkosh are not the same. Those are small diameter tanks of a type that still eludes me. This image does illustrate, as I think I said to @srkirad recently, that she had a repaint at some point while with Connie Edwards. Odd, I think. My "Part 2" build covers her in this later scheme, albeit pre-retirement from the FAG.

Martin

edit: what is apparent in the photo, Mike @72modeler, is that she is sat with flaps up

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

Very nice indeed!! Great job.

I have this decal sheet and am torn between this option and the camo scheme. Let's see what I decide when I get round to it but I hope it comes out as nicely as yours has.

Miguel

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

what is apparent in the photo, Mike @72modeler, is that she is sat with flaps up

As is often the case, but not very well documented in photos, Martin. I think, and it's just my unsubstantiated opinion, is that many times  an aircraft like the Mustang is posed with flaps down when photographed for aesthetics.  Personally, I prefer to see a Mustang, Thunderbolt, or Corsair with the flaps down, even though this wasn't always the norm. Eagerly anticipating your next pony out of the corral. (Excuse me- paddock; had my English to  UK translator in the "off" position!)

Mike

• Haha 1

On 25 January 2020 at 4:27 AM, Sky Keg said:

Outstanding Martin!!!!!!!!!  The unique markings make the iconic Mustang look even better!!!!  Well done my friend!!! :clap2:

Thanks a lot, Mike. Much appreciated

17 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very nice indeed👍

Thanks, too, mate. While it was a build that I was lookIng forward to finishing I am not wholly pleased with her. I wrestled with the wing tanks, had a few flaws in the paintwork, dropped a cement-contaminated sprue on the wing when I'd nearly finished and blemished the upper wing roundel, etc, etc..... 

13 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Very nice indeed!! Great job.

I have this decal sheet and am torn between this option and the camo scheme. Let's see what I decide when I get round to it but I hope it comes out as nicely as yours has.

Miguel

Thank you, Miguel. The camouflaged later iteration of FAG 315 is my next build. It is already part built. I have two copies of the sheet so I have plenty of options :). As you know, it comes with F4U decals too, for the FAH. I have the Aztec Corsair set but these add possibilities :). I was also given a copy Of Aztec's "Macho Mustangs I". 

13 hours ago, almac said:

Outstanding work. Very nice.

Cheers Allan 

Thank you, Allan.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

On 1/26/2020 at 10:10 AM, F-32 said:

She's a real stunner, beautiful work

Thanks mate

On 1/26/2020 at 2:50 PM, Kampartiger said:

Let the Ponies loose from your modelling barn as I am having a great time admiring those beautiful looking Mustangs.Great work!

I’m glad you like them and not getting too bored :). Thanks for your comments. The next will be decalled tomorrow. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner