1/48 Lynx Danish Style

Martian

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

Sounds almost like a line from the A Bridge Too Far. Parts arrive just in the nick of time

Closer run than that methinks!

Relieved of Mars 👽

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

This is true, but arrive they did and now a good time shall be had by all.

Indeed, not least by me who will be modelling in a far more relaxed frame of mind. Although I could not have forseen it this time round, this little episode confirms to my the wisdom of my policy of not starting a build until I am sure that I have everything needed beforehand.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Following the arrival of the long awaited etch, I retreated to the Martian Cave in a much more relaxed frame of mind. Although I did not work on the seats, I had a much more enjoyable session. Today I concentrated on finishing the cabin doors and their attachments. The upper door runners are covered by some sort of protective fairing on the real machine and these are provided by Airfix in the kit. However, if one wishes to see the added detail provided by the Eduard parts, one needs to remove the inner part of the U section on the lower part of the Airfix parts. This done, glue the fairings into place on the model and when set, fettle the new runner parts that we made for the doors until the doors fit snugly into place. When the doors slide easily backwards and forwards, the job is a good 'un.

While doing all of this, I picked up on an omission that I am sure that you have all noticed but have been too kind to point out to me. In the last set of pictures I posted, I was concerned that the join where the cabin roof meets the fuselage sides looked decidedly tatty in the vicinity of the doors. This was definitely a case of tentacle trouble on the part of a certain alien of this parish. Whereas I had remembered to cap off the quilting on the fuselage walls where it met the opening of the cabin doors, I had forgotten to do so where tp the cabin roof met the same. Therefore, it was out .10 'thou plastic card and the edges of the roof capped off. To my mind, it now looks about a thousand times better than previously.

I still feel that the runner fairings are a little too prominent and when the glue has had chance to cure overnight, sanding them down a bit is first on the agenda for tomorrow, after which we will be returning to those seats.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

099.jpg

101.jpg

100.jpg

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Lookin' good! I still say we need a WOW button in addition to the like button.

Thanks Loren, I don't think it is that good though.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

What can I say, I'm blind in one eye and can't see outthe other. And mad as a hatter to boot! But in all honesty it is impressive to say the least.

and I still say we need a WOW button. There I said and Dang proud of it!

• Like 2

Looking good Martin, hope you are in better spirits? I'm working on a couple of builds at present, that i'd like to post but have no access to a photo hosting site. So images backing up in my camera.

Colin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good Martin, hope you are in better spirits? I'm working on a couple of builds at present, that i'd like to post but have no access to a photo hosting site. So images backing up in my camera.

Colin

Thanks Colin, have you tried Post Image? They are pretty good. If all else fails, PM me as I may have a cunnimg plan to get round the problem.

4 hours ago, hopkp said:

Trust me, it is!

Can't wait to see this one finished.....

Thanks Hopkp, It will be a while but this build is cracking on at a much faster pace than normal for me.

Martian 👽

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

No!

Well, that told me, didn't it?

Martian ( Off to figure out how he can get out of this one.) 👽

• Haha 2

Over the last few days I have been putting the final touches to the Lynx's seats. I cut the inertia reel handles from the Eduard supplied wires, folded them into the correct shape and super gooed them to the left hand side of the seats. I then replaced the wires with some Little Cars detailing wire to give a much more three dimensional effect. This was quite difficult to do as whe Eduard parts are mind bogglingly small.

With everything else done on the seats that could be prior to painting, there was nothing for it than to come to a decision that I had been putting off since I started this build. All Lynx seem to have sheepskin seat pads and you may recall that we tackled those earlier in the build. On some Lynx, particularly the Danish jobs, one can see that they were also fitted with sheepskin covers on the seat backs. This is a pain as my way of reproducing these is fiddly and results in a hiatus in the build process. Still, the Danish machines had them , so onto the model they had to go.

I began the process by scoring a cross hatched pattern on the back os the seats to act for a key for some Miliput. This was followed by mixing up some of Dolgellau's finest and very carefully, spreading a thin layer over the seat backs. This is the really difficult bit as the putty wants to lift from the plastic. Finally, with much swearing and use of Martian saliva, (the stuff tastes disgusting by the way) the Miliput was persuaded to adhere to the seat backs. I then took a small pastry brush that I had picked up on a holiday and stippled it over the Miliput to create a texture akin to sheepskin.

The real pain with this is that to get the Miliput to cover the seat and to allow the brush to work it's magic, The stuff needs to be pretty wet and as we all know. the wetter this stuff is, the longer it takes to dry. It was still not properly cured when I went to clean the seats up this morning for the photographs. Still, it will give me time to tidy my room up and set up the airbrush, ready for painting the interior.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

102.jpg

103.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

• Like 12

And they call me crazy! Martian just about the time I think you can't push the envelope any further, You go further. Pabsolutly absotivly gobsmackingly good.!Something that might reduce your jangle Martian nerves the next time, and yes I have no doubt there will be a next time, The flocking that is used in railroad dioramas might give the same effect of the sheepskin without the wait. Of course it could make an even bigger mess. Either way....:worthy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And they call me crazy! Martian just about the time I think you can't push the envelope any further, You go further. Pabsolutly absotivly gobsmackingly good.!Something that might reduce your jangle Martian nerves the next time, and yes I have no doubt there will be a next time, The flocking that is used in railroad dioramas might give the same effect of the sheepskin without the wait. Of course it could make an even bigger mess. Either way....:worthy:

Thanks Loren. I have thought about the flock road before but have worried that it may come loose when I come to paint it. I keep meaning to do an OOB build as a relief from this fine detailing insanity, a bit like I didn't do with my SM.79 build. That plan worked well: not!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

The flocking that is used in railroad dioramas might give the same effect of the sheepskin without the wait. Of course it could make an even bigger mess. 

Or I supposed you could cut it from the sheets of green grass sold for railway modelling?  That has a stippled texture and would probably stay together when painted.

Can't remember what I used for the sheepskin seat covers in the Wasp and since the cockpit is all masked I can't see in there to remind myself!  I think it was small pieces of very fine velvet from one of my wife's evening dresses that I pinched from my wife's dressmaking cupboard!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Can't remember what I used for the sheepskin seat covers in the Wasp and since the cockpit is all masked I can't see in there to remind myself!  I think it was small pieces of very fine velvet from one of my wife's evening dresses that I pinched from my wife's dressmaking cupboard!

If you don't mind Ralph, I think I will go with a slightly less risky, and in Mrs Martian's case, terminal, solution next time! :yikes:

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Smashing interior mods, those seats look totally cosy

Cheers Hewy.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Baa! (I'm standing in for @general melchett who is on unsanitary leave). Nice seat covers, Martian. Didn't someone on here use old teabags?

Thanks Pete, on reflection, I think you might be right. I shall try and remember that next time round.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martian said:

If you don't mind Ralph, I think I will go with a slightly less risky, and in Mrs Martian's case, terminal, solution next time! :yikes:

Cheers Hewy.

Martian 👽

Don't you remember my alien friend, danger is my middle name (or was that Johnny English?)!!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Martian said:

Thanks Loren. I have thought about the flock road before but have worried that it may come loose when I come to paint it. I keep meaning to do an OOB build as a relief from this fine detailing insanity, a bit like I didn't do with my SM.79 build. That plan worked well: not!

Martian 👽

I understand the Trials of trying to do a "simple" OOB. Case in point certain fishy plane. I think detail work has been melded into our DNA now making OOB almost imposible.To hold flocking in place I recommend spray rubber cement.once dry a few light coats of Kleer may do the trick before painting. Nothing too heavy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

I think detail work has been melded into our DNA now making OOB almost impossible.

I suspect you have hit the nail smack on the head there Loren!

Martian 👽

• Like 1