1/48 Lynx Danish Style

Martian

34 minutes ago, Massimo said:

You're doing a great work on these interiors!

The machine gun can speak!!!

Very nice the last gallery! did you use oil paint or watercolors? :rofl:

Well done!!!

Thanks Massimo. I was playing around with some filters to try and draw out some more of the detail.

Martian 👽

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That really is a stonking series of updates Martian. Always inspiring to see work of this quality. 

Thanks Tony, I shall be glad when the cabin is finished. Thus far to get a Danish cab, which one is supposed to be able to build OOB, I have had to alter or replace every single kit part.

6 hours ago, Jens said:

Perhaps these pictures of the avionics rack could be useful to you. :)

Avionic01.jpg

Avionic02.jpg

Avionic03.jpg

Jens

Thanks Jens, you couldn't have timed that post better if you had tried!

Martian 👽

• Like 3

Although it doesn't look like I have got much done today, the clock says I have been five hours at the bench. This has been spent rebuilding the ammunition container for the .50 calibre machine gun and working some more on the avionics rack. Hence my comment that @Jens couldn't have timed his las post better if he had tried. This is especially fortunate as a certain Muppet of this parish was happily detailing the third seat, when he realised that he should have ordered an extra set of seat belts! Cue many Martian expletives and a quick trip to Evil Bay. At least I did get the bits that needed to be scratch built for the extra seat done though.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

086.jpg

087.jpg

o88.jpg

089.jpg

• Like 15

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yep, that looks very convincing and like a good modeller.

Cheers

Thanks Benedickt, it does help to have @Ex-FAAWAFU, @Chewbacca and the incomparable @Jens on board, helping with advice, especially the detail pictures of the Danish cabs from Jens. I am also extremely grateful to everyone who as been so supportive during this very difficult time for me personally. It has helped me get to the bench and at least try and distract myself for a while.

Martian 👽

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It may just be because it is dry fitted, but the pilot’s seat seems to be taking guard facing mid-off.

Its the dry fitting Crisp, some of the pictures are very difficult to set up and when I have got everything roughly in place, I go for it regardless.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Bloody hell thats some impressive work. I’ll be taking notes on your wonderful scratch building for my new office. 🙌👍🤩

Johnny

Cheers Johnny.

27 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Excellent detailing!  Don’t forget the shiny padlock on the avionics rack.

AW

Thanks AW. You do realise that I may well add said padlock now? I am reminded of my TSR2 project when @DamienB jokingly challenged me to make the raising and lowering mechanism of the ejection seats work. Defiant little bugger that I am, I turned round and did just that.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Martian, amazing scratch building work the cabin and cockpit look absolutely stunning.  Great work, hope you are feeling okay fella.

Stay safe and all the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, not feeling too bad today, I'm just trying to take things a day at a time at the moment. Having Mrs Martian off work helps a lot, although I severely doubt if she would say the same about having me under her feet 24/7!

Martian !👽

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

The interior is looking great with the new VIP passenger seat and the gun. Keep calm and carry on modelling!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.

Martian 👽

Hello Dear Alien,

Well, I did'nt doubt even a minute about the shiny padlock....

Looking at the pic, I just think that you cannot miss it !!

Glad to see you back at the bench in such a wonderfull way !!

Pretty impressive .50 I really love these things...:evil_laugh:

Clearly understand, these times are challenging, I'm still at work as we are deemed essential workers...:rofl2:

Take care of you and your good lady !! 

And LET this coaming that way, it's already great !!

Best thought my friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Alien,

Well, I did'nt doubt even a minute about the shiny padlock....

Looking at the pic, I just think that you cannot miss it !!

Glad to see you back at the bench in such a wonderfull way !!

Pretty impressive .50 I really love these things...:evil_laugh:

Clearly understand, these times are challenging, I'm still at work as we are deemed essential workers...:rofl2:

Take care of you and your good lady !! 

And LET this coaming that way, it's already great !!

Best thought my friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, it looks as though the padlock has to be done.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The SA Navy Lynx has something similar for the gunners seat. It is a full width plate with integrated sliders so the gun can be mounted in either door.Looking good with the progress Martin.

Colin 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

The SA Navy Lynx has something similar for the gunners seat. It is a full width plate with integrated sliders so the gun can be mounted in either door. Looking good with the progress Martin.

Thanks Colin.

Martian 👽

38 minutes ago, Massimo said:

I love those interiors!!

Well done Martian!!!

Cheers Massimo, the cockpit and cabin are such focal points of the model that a bit of extra effort is called for.

Martian 👽

Martian, all I can say is WOW and even that is sadly insufficient for this work. SO I'll just add Uau! Брей! Páni !Beeindruckend! Vá! Ara naqra! And  FanDurnTabulous! I would add it in Martian but with wow translated into 151 Consonants 3 vowels and several unmentionable symbols is beyond my current typing skills. If Don't get it right and slip up on one letter for some reason the translation goes from WOW to talking about ones family heritage. Either way Well done SIr!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, LorenSharp said:

Martian, all I can say is WOW and even that is sadly insufficient for this work. SO I'll just add Uau! Брей! Páni !Beeindruckend! Vá! Ara naqra! And  FanDurnTabulous! 

Thanks Loren. You do realise that in Vogon that loosely translates as: "Your Father was a tape worm and your Mother smelt of musty jockstraps"? They tend to get a bit upset about it. Anyway, I shall be a bit more magnanimous and accept your compliment as it is intended.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Haven't caught up with this for a couple of weeks after I stopped getting updates by email of posts I had tagged - turned out it was my ISP deciding that BM was trying to spam me - but the excellent work continues.

One observation I might make if I may on the winch (which looks excellent by the way).  I know you haven't secured it in the cabin yet so this shouldn't be too late, but I noted that you had it dry fitted at 90 deg to the cabin door.  Now I'm assuming the the Danish Lynx are the same in this respect (Jens, please correct me if I am wrong) but it is incredibly difficult with the winch in that position to actually pull someone into the cabin.  A body in the single lift strop sits with their centre of gravity at least a foot below the door so the poor old Observer has to literally pull him the last bit into the cabin.  With the winch at 90 deg, not only do you have to pull him up but pull forward as well while simultaneously lowering the winch to give you the slack to pull him in.  We did have to do that if the starboard weapon carriers were fitted but most of the time the starboard side was left clean for winching ops and the winch was only deployed to "two notches forward of abeam" - that's about 60 deg off the nose as you can see in this photo: 

Helicopter_winching_with_the_Bristol_Lif

You can see the exact position on an RN Lynx when the winch is housed because there is a small cut out in the upper door runner cover.  I assume the Danes adopt the same principle because it just makes life so much easier!  

The comments about the M3M are very true - it is an absolutely awesome weapon.  The background to its introduction is quite interesting though.  The RN Lynx used to have the 7.62 mm GPMG mounted in the doorway which was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.  Put simply, anything nasty that was within its effective range probably had something far more effective with which to shoot back.  So even though we had to practice firing it twice a year, I don't think I know anyone who ever used it in anger.

In recognition of this and with things hotting up in the Gulf in 1987 with the Iran-Iraq tanker war and with British vessels being threatened largely by Iranian revolutionary guards in small fast boats, the RN introduced the HMP - the Heavy Machine Gun Pod.  This was an FN Herstal .50 cal forward firing weapon with a maximum range of around 3,000 yards mounted in a GRP pod containing the gun, the firing electronics and a magazine which could be fitted to the port and starboard weapons carriers.  I did a fair bit of the proving flight trials in late 87 as we were to be the first flight to deploy with them in early 1988.  Yes they were long range; yes they were quite accurate, but they were so unreliable I don't think i ever fired them without a weapon hang up and once that happened, they couldn't be cleared in the air. 

My O2 (second Observer) on that flight was a Tackleberry-like "guns, when do we get guns" character (think back to the Police Academy series of films) and apart from his experience of the unreliable nature of the HMP, felt that as an Observer, he should be controlling all weapons systems, not leaving one in the hands of the pilot!  And so a few years later, when he was on his Helicopter Warfare instructor's course, wrote a staff paper suggesting that the GPMG should be replaced with a crew served heavy weapon.  What he was really looking towards initially was something like the minigun fitted to Huey gunships but recognised that although the .50 cal has a much lower rate of fire, its stopping power against small boats was much greater.  A couple of appointments later he found himself at Yeovilton as the Requirements Manager for the Lynx, dusted off his old staff paper and the rest, they say, is history.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2