1/48 Lynx Danish Style

Martian

27 minutes ago, Jens said:

I found a picture of it, courtesy of one of my old technicians.

M3M600ammobox.JPG

Jens

Thanks Jens. I am clearly going to have to have a long hard think about this as I think it might preclude having the bench seats I want to have in the cabin. It maybe that I have already gone too far down the road suggested in the kit anyway. I am beginning to suspect that Airfix did not research the Danish cabs properly and just assumed that a lot of details mirrored the Royal Navy HMA8.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Good news for a change, I managed to separate the ammunition container from the gun mounting without any damage, which means that I can finish it as recommended by Jens. A quick mock up also shows that I can have the bench seating I wanted.

With my cup running over with all this good news, I turned to the main part of the Machine gun and mounting that I had been dreading; the spent ammunition container. This is supplied on the Eduard exterior set for the kit and involves multiple folds, which, of course, means multiple opportunities to screw up. Just for once this was not to be and after about an hour and a half's work, I had a nice mesh container attached to the gun mounting which I am rather proud of for some strange reason. I pressed on with adding both etch and scratch built detail to both the gun and it's mounting and have added some plastic card laminate to the ammunition container as Jen's picture shows it to be considerably taller than the par supplied in the kit. I aim to get this sorted out tomorrow when the plastic card laminations are properly cured.

In the words of Samuel Pepys, "And so to beer"! Well, its the sort of thing he might have said. :drink:

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good to know that you were happy. Well deserved, it's been a while.

Nice weapon (f'nar).

Thanks Pete, always best to be packing a large one if there's trouble about.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, exdraken said:

gets  really interesting now!

I am enjoying it even though I only feel up to short sessions at a time.

Martian 👽

3 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Your very well presented .50 cal looks a bit naughty.       Good job there

You are too kind Sir!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woke up feeling rather down today but decided to try and model my way through it anyway. Yesterday I was unsure as to whether I wanted to fit the FLIR unit or not. I did glue the kit parts together anyway. Today I changed my mind and decided to fit the FLIR after all. I began by modifying the underside of the machine gun pylon to take the kit unit.

Feeling slightly better, I decided to see if I could make the Eduard parts for the instrument coaming work. Mistake! With a lot of cutting, filing and fettling, I did get things to fit in the end but frankly, it would have been easier to break out the .10 'thou plastic card and do the job myself. There is still some sanding of filler to be done tomorrow and I am still not certain that I will not be ripping the brass off tomorrow and scratching a new coaming.

While I had some left over mixed Miliput, I keyed the seat pads for the pilot's and observer's seats and spread the filler over them. I wetted the filler and stippled a stiff brush over it, creating an impression of the sheepskin covers. The filler is way too wet to be handling at the moment so I will pop up some pictures of the seats when I do the next update. 

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

074.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Excellent Job so far Martin. That armament looks down right evil and not to be trifled with.

Thanks Loren. If you get the chance watch the "Mighty Ships" documentary on the HDMS Absalon. In the programme, the ship's Lynx is shooting the crap out of a couple of pirate vessels. It is clear that, if you have any sense,  you don't mess about with a Lynx packing one of these.

I could do with one of these on my Harbour Patrol launch but, spoil sport that she is, Mrs Martian, our MVS Head of Unit, says that it is not allowed. :sad:

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Loren. If you get the chance watch the "Mighty Ships" documentary on the HDMS Absalon. In the programme, the ship's Lynx is shooting the crap out of a couple of pirate vessels. It is clear that, if you have any sense,  you don't mess about with a Lynx packing one of these.

I could do with one of these on my Harbour Patrol launch but, spoil sport that she is, Mrs Martian, our MVS Head of Unit, says that it is not allowed. :sad:

Martian 👽

Yes SWMBO's do have a tendency to take the fun out of things at times. Definitely would keep them hippies of the road so to speak or water as it were.😉

• Haha 4

Looking good, Martian!

If you want an accurate setup, you will have to ditch the two rows of seats and add a flight engineer/gunner seat instead. I have only once seen our Lynx fitted with the six man passenger seat setup and that was without the FLIR and M3M fitted.

Usually only the aft two seats were installed (the third being removed after fitting of an avionics rack in the starboard side of the cabin). Anyone in the cabin besides the FE would be seated on those two seats or on the floor.

Jens

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jens said:

Looking good, Martian!

If you want an accurate setup, you will have to ditch the two rows of seats and add a flight engineer/gunner seat instead. I have only once seen our Lynx fitted with the six man passenger seat setup and that was without the FLIR and M3M fitted.

Usually only the aft two seats were installed (the third being removed after fitting of an avionics rack in the starboard side of the cabin). Anyone in the cabin besides the FE would be seated on those two seats or on the floor.

Jens

Thanks Jens, food for thought there as I really do like the six man bench seats and do I really want to sort out another seat? The pilot's and observer's were enough. On second thoughts, I suspect that I will never be happy knowing the seating is wrong so I might as well cut to the chase and build that extra seat and the avionics rack.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

@Jens Before I go blundering ahead, am I correct in thinking that the FE seat is on runners that allow it to be adjusted along the port/starboard axis?

Martian 👽

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

@Jens Before I go blundering ahead, am I correct in thinking that the FE seat is on runners that allow it to be adjusted along the port/starboard axis?

Martian 👽

Yes, the FE seat was mounted on a frame with runners. You can see the shape of the frame in this shot of my Airfix Lynx Mk. 90B:

Lynx48_5228.jpg

Jens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jens said:

Yes, the FE seat was mounted on a frame with runners. You can see the shape of the frame in this shot of my Airfix Lynx Mk. 90B:

Jens

Thanks Jens, I thought it was something like that.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking tasty. You’re right about PE though, sometimes it can be a right pain in the tentacle port. Your efforts are worth it however. 🙌

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, I still would not be at all surprised if I ended up re-doing the instrument coaming. I'm very unsure whether PE is the best material to make it out of. Mystic Martian foresees that .10 'thou card will be playing a part in his near future. 🔮

Martian 👽

• Like 4

Hi Martin, hope your blue day didn't last too long? The Lynx build is coming together. Good that Jens is pushing/pointing you in the right direction.er nicely.

I picked up my SA Navy Lynx conversion up again the other day as one of my 'lockdown' builds. Only to find, I had left all the main rotorhead parts at home!

Colin

• Like 2

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Martin, hope your blue day didn't last too long? The Lynx build is coming together. Good that Jens is pushing/pointing you in the right direction.er nicely.

I picked up my SA Navy Lynx conversion up again the other day as one of my 'lockdown' builds. Only to find, I had left all the main rotorhead parts at home!

Colin

Thanks Colin, things are up and down at the moment and not being able to have a proper funeral for my Dad is really screwing with my head. We will have a memorial do some description when the virus crisis is over but at the moment it is very difficult to move on.

Martian 👽

• Sad 3

I lost myself modelling today, which was good but everything that I tried to do seemed to be fighting me all the way. As predicted, I couldn't leave things the way were as regards the cabin configuration so no surprises there then!

I began by gluing an extra seat together from the kit parts and have gone some way into getting it detailed  both with Eduard brass and scratch built parts. Another session should see this finished. I have also built the runners for the seat and glued the seat to them in order to be able to test fit the assembly.

Next up I knocked up an avionics rack. This will have to have a cover over the front but I will need to populate the racks with some sort of equipment and wire it before I can fit it as the equipment is visible, over, under and through parts of the cover.

Next I spent ages trying to see how I could modify the kit parts of the cabin rear seat from a three to two seat configuration but it eventually became clear that It would be easier if I started from scratch. Normally, I wouldn't mind but I am beginning to resent the fact that even without @Jens' splendid assistance, I have managed to do a better job of researching the Danish version of the Lynx than Airfix by just searching Google images. Come on Airfix, you know you are better than this, its a p*** poor do! You didn't do your homework and I say this as one of your greatest fans.

I'll stop ranting now and put some pictures up instead. BTW the pictures fought me all the way as well. Time to get ratted methinks. :drink:

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

085.jpg

084.jpg

083.jpg

082.jpg

080.jpg

079.jpg

• Like 7