1/48 Lynx Danish Style

Martian

Many, many thanks to everyone who has replied to the news about my Father, it does help a lot to know that there are people out there thinking of us. I am genuinely deeply appreciative of each and every message of support. I did have a little play around with finishing off the cabin roof this afternoon but found it a bit too tiring. Trying to start getting Dad's affairs into order whilst trying to recover from the easily worst bug I have ever had, against the daily changing background of the pandemic is draining most of my energy at the moment. I will try and do some more over the next day or so.

Martian 👽

• Like 10

I have now managed to correct the cabin roof. There are a few fine details to add but these will be better tackled when the basic interior has been painted. To replace the quilting of the cabin roof is a very difficult and time consuming exercise and I would recommend that you only tackle it if you really can't live with the kit quilting.

058.jpg

059.jpg

We haven't had a heads up for a while and I felt that there had to be at least one more lurking in the cockpit/cabin area. I have been caught out by more than one kit in the past where and instrument panel and it's coaming foul the windscreen so I decided we had better take a look at this and it is a good job I did. Dry fitting the IP to the centre consul showed that there is enough play in the fit for it to have the potential foul the transparencies. My way round this was to glue the IP in place with some slow setting cement and then place the windscreen into place and let the IP find it's own level. The good news is that the main transparency is in fact a very good fit.

054.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay safe Earthlings.

Martian 👽

• Like 14

Real good job my dear tentacled one !!

Hope that everythings will cool down as soon as possible !

Strange times indeed, I'm on business as usual, that make things looking a bit more weird..

Take care my friend !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking very good Martian. Always liked the Lynx heli but more or less in the first version like the Puma . Sorry to see this with that laundry tub under the skin. Looks a bit like an abbess under a sleek chin, which should be operated soon.

Btw. Good job on that at all!

Cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Real good job my dear tentacled one !!

Hope that everythings will cool down as soon as possible !

Strange times indeed, I'm on business as usual, that make things looking a bit more weird..

Take care my friend !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Great to see you"re able to get some bench time again. 

Stay safe!

Ian

Thanks Ian, Mrs Martian has me locked down good and proper. Some days I can face modelling, some not. We probably feel a bit better when we can sort out some sort of funeral/memorial service for Dad and get some sort of closure and move on.

2 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Looking very good Martian. Always liked the Lynx heli but more or less in the first version like the Puma . Sorry to see this with that laundry tub under the skin. Looks a bit like an abbess under a sleek chin, which should be operated soon.

Btw. Good job on that at all!

Cheers

Thanks, I agree about the looks but the subject is what it is. Nil Desperandum though, I do have something up my tentacle, when I can remember which one, that you will like.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

We probably feel a bit better when we can sort out some sort of funeral/memorial service for Dad and get some sort of closure and move on.

Grief is a funny thing and very personal. My father in law passed away last September and the funeral did bring a sense of closure. I actually enjoyed the funeral but so many odd but comforting things happened.

For example my wife and I chose the music and picked one particular piece that the singer suggested. It turned out that it was one that my daughter used to play regularly for him on the violin. 

Towards the end of the service a butterfly flew up over the alter and circled and then disappeared.

Then as we were placing the coffin in the grave a cement mixer drove by, I had to laugh as that would have been his version of the butterfly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Grief is a funny thing and very personal. My father in law passed away last September and the funeral did bring a sense of closure. I actually enjoyed the funeral but so many odd but comforting things happened.

For example my wife and I chose the music and picked one particular piece that the singer suggested. It turned out that it was one that my daughter used to play regularly for him on the violin. 

Towards the end of the service a butterfly flew up over the alter and circled and then disappeared.

Then as we were placing the coffin in the grave a cement mixer drove by, I had to laugh as that would have been his version of the butterfly.

Thanks Marklo, trouble is, in these strange times, we have no idea when we will be able to sort something out. We have decided that we will have to have a simple cremation now, have Dad's ashes scattered with Mum's and then organise something when things have settled down somewhat.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

It is strange how the actual funeral helps to let you rationalise the loss, I hope you can get sorted and settled soon Martian

My dad's funeral helped us to accept it better.

He had been a 'clubman' in its best sense, when we moved to Moseley in Coronation year he was guided to join a local ex-servicemen's club and for the rest of his life the club became his social centre.

The club also hosted the RAFA club which was dad's cup of tea and he became Branch Chairman for several years and then became a committee member of the ex-serviceman's club eventually becoming chair there later.

The point of this rambling tale is that when we buried him after the Catholic church service we were whisked off to the cemetery in the funeral cars leaving dad's friends (lots of them turned out for him) to make their way in various cars.

As the priest was conducting the graveside prayers there was a shout from across the cemetery as the blokes who had been lost parked up and began a mad scramble over the neighbouring graves

All his old mates were in a mad dash to say their proper goodbyes and I took one look at them and nudged my mom "Look at this lot, dad must be laughing his head off from up there". His best mate Sam was a tall long legged guy and seeing him charging across that field was like something out of a film. Marx Brothers at the very least

The point is that the memory of that took away the sharpest of pains as we got back into normal life, at present you dont have the respite

I am thinking of you mate

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

trouble is, in these strange times, we have no idea when we will be able to sort something out.

I hadn’t thought if that. Now that you mention that funeral services aren’t happening here due to the virus.

PostImage is down until tomorrow for maintenance so I have been tortuously re-acquainting myself with the mysteries of Flickr. Tentacles and anything else you can think of, crossed that this works.

I actually felt like a session at the bench today, rather than having to push myself to keep the thread alive. For reasons that not entirely clear to me, I decided to have a bash at the winch assembly. This is going to be shown deployed and as such will be one of the focal points of the model so it is worth spending a decent amount of effort on it. I had hoped that I could just get away with adding some of the Eduard etch to the kit's parts. Wrong! The diagonal support for the winch was bent on the sprue and clearly needed replacing, both from a strength and appearance point of view. As so often happens, Albion Alloys' slide fit tubing came galloping to the rescue. Most pf the arm was made from brass but the core that passed through the plastic pars of the winch was from aluminium as this files down more easily than brass, allowing for a seamless finish.

The winch itself, is hollow underneath so I blanked it off with some .10 'thou plastic card and filed some sprue to make the underside of the winch. The top of the vertical winch arm was filed back to allow for the thickness of the quilting on the cabin roof and, although there is more work to be done on the winch assembly, I was a happy, if somewhat tired, Martian.

Thanks for looking and lets see how successful, or otherwise, my efforts to bring you pictures have been.

Martian 👽

• Like 11

On 3/24/2020 at 9:41 PM, Martian Hale said:

I would recommend that you only tackle it if you really can't live with the kit quilting.

This is the kind of derogatory comment that frankly will only further inflame the quilt-fetishists of the forum. A stern group, with a love of washable fabrics bordering upon the maniacal.

You remain in our thoughts for obvious reasons Daddy M. - your generous spirit one of the initial reasons I got up the nerve to join the forum in the first place. Bless you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice to see you back at the bench, Martian. What a lovely winch you have. (Fnar?)

Ooh Matron!

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

This is the kind of derogatory comment that frankly will only further inflame the quilt-fetishists of the forum. A stern group, with a love of washable fabrics bordering upon the maniacal.

You remain in our thoughts for obvious reasons Daddy M. - your generous spirit one of the initial reasons I got up the nerve to join the forum in the first place. Bless you.

Cheers Tony, I'm glad you did sign up. As to the quilt-fetishists, they will just have to carry on being inflamed, the roof quilting was a pig of a job that I wished I hadn't started but it was too late to turn back.

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Fantastic quilting job on the roof,that looks a proper job, good to see your back,👍

Glynn

Thanks Glynn, I did enjoy the session yesterday, apart from battling the carpet monster. I am just taking things a day at a time at the moment. With the lockdown, Dad's death could not have come at a worse time.

Martian 👽

• Sad 4

Right, PostImage is back. Here are the pictures at their proper sizing.

Martian 👽

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

• Like 5

I felt like doing a bit more today and decided to make a start on the Lynx's armament. I replaced the kit gun barrel with Albion Alloys brass tube. I then rolled the Eduard supplied cooling jacket to shape and fitted it over the barrel. The etched gun sights went on with no dramas.

I began working on the gun mounting in the hope that I could get it finished today but there is a fair amount of cleaning up to do before I can get cracking with the brass and any extra detailing and it really needs to be set good and hard before I can do that. This being the case, I have decided that it must be beer o'clock. :drink:

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I have decided that it must be beer o'clock. :drink:

My goodness, is it that time already. I'll get myself one if you don't mind!

Great work on the weapon there. Is that a 50 caliber or a 30?

Terry

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

My goodness, is it that time already. I'll get myself one if you don't mind!

Great work on the weapon there. Is that a 50 caliber or a 30?

Terry

Thanks Terry, its a -50 calibre,

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

Hi Martian

Sorry to hear about your father, hope you and yours are all okay.  

Great no Amazing work on the Lynx , the quilted cabin ceiling looks amazing as does the rest.

Great work fella.

Take care and stay safe

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Before you go any further - especially with the M3M - I figured these pictures could be useful:

Hoist_5249.jpg

M3M-FLIR_4643.jpg

M3M-FLIR_4644.jpg

M3M-FLIR_4645.jpg

The ammo box was mounted inside the cabin.

This is the hand controller for the FLIR:

M3M-FLIR_4649.jpg

HTH,

Jens

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Martian

Sorry to hear about your father, hope you and yours are all okay.  

Great no Amazing work on the Lynx , the quilted cabin ceiling looks amazing as does the rest.

Great work fella.

Take care and stay safe

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. I am trying to keep myself distracted, with varying degrees of success. There is not much else I can do given the current crisis we are going  through.

2 hours ago, Jens said:

The ammo box was mounted inside the cabin.

Thanks Jens, it might be a bit late for the ammo box but I would be interested to know what it looked like, just in case I can rebuild it.

47 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

That gun looks great! Great guns one might say. 🙌

*sorry. 

must stop doing that. 🤪

Thanks Macbeth.*

*Sorry, must stop doing that.😁

Martian 👽😝

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is a still from a video clip I made when I went shooting with the M3M from a Lynx. You can see that the ammo belt is to the right of the M3M. The ammo box was placed perpendicular to the direction of flight, right behind the left seat crew member's seat.

LynxM3Mskydning.JPG

Jens

• Like 3