1/48 Lynx Danish Style

Martian

Sorry to hear about the health. In the same time I’ve been made redundant ( but I got a semi decent settlement) and diagnosed with diabetes ( but I seem to be doing ok managing it with diet so far)hmm. (Thank you for listening)

I used to work with someone who was support crew for naval helicopters and he used to tell stories of broom handles and jubilee clips being used as field repairs on the z linkage( whatever that is). Mind he was also in the merchant navy for some years and told many a lurid tale about those days.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Sorry to hear about the health. In the same time I’ve been made redundant ( but I got a semi decent settlement) and diagnosed with diabetes ( but I seem to be doing ok managing it with diet so far)hmm. (Thank you for listening)

I used to work with someone who was support crew for naval helicopters and he used to tell stories of broom handles and jubilee clips being used as field repairs on the z linkage( whatever that is). Mind he was also in the merchant navy for some years and told many a lurid tale about those days.

Hope you get on top of your problems soon Marklo.

As to the second part of your post, it would seem from Crisp's reaction that he was unaware of those repair methods when he was piloting Lynx helicopters and probably would have refused to get into one if he had been. Crisp, the floor is yours.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hewy said:

I like your bulkhead Much better than the kit one, smashing job 👍

Cheers Hewy, more to come on that front tomorrow.

A Martian of my word, here is the promised update.

After much dithering, I decided that I could not live with the mismatch between the kit quilting and the replacement stuff that I added to the new rear bulkhead. Therefore it was "Out Dremel time" and the offending quilting ground away and replaced by my party/barbeque plate material. I shan't bother doing the cabin roof in the is was. Partly because it would involve plating the plate material down over compound curves and I don't think it will take this. Also, so little of it will be seen that its probably not worth the effort anyway.

I then added the bar that the shoulder straps for the rear seat harnesses are hung from. I am none to happy about Airfix's interpretation of how the actual seats attach to the rear bulkhead, so I am off to see what this part of the aircraft actually looked like.

Thanks for looking 

Martian 👽

024.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

The party plates make for a convincing quilt material, i must round some of those up for my one , being plastic does it respond to styrene cement ?

I have used Tamiya Extra Thin and Tamiya standard glue with no ill effects at all.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't sleep last night so I decided to do some fettling while away the hours. I began by sorting out the seats for the rear cabin bulkhead. This was pretty straightforward once appropriate pictures had been located.

Next I raided my spare Lynx kit for the missing part and got it safely glued to the transmission housing. Most of the parts for this assembly need some degree of fettling and/or filling so be prepared to lose most of the surface detail in this area of the model. I am thankful that I have the Eduard Exterior Detail Set which provides the missing panels which should lay down fine after a bit of annealing. I must remember to anneal some brass mesh as well so that I can have a look at those intakes. If things look too tricky on that front, I shall be adding a good dollop of Miliput over the top of the kit parts and painting them red to represent intake covers.

I went back and had another look at the underside of the model and the news is that even after a lot of trimming of the stub wing assembly, there is going to be a significant amount of filling and sanding needed to get the underside to look right. I have come to the conclusion that getting as many of the kit's parts as possible, fettled very early on in the build is the key to getting a decent result from this kit. The finer details are going to have to wait until I have completed this process.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

• Like 13

Whoa, who are you and what have you done with Martian, all this progress is very unusual :P

Great work Martian, I am following very closely. I decided to jump in and cracked the bags on mine to build as part of the 'In the Navy' GB.

Whilst test fitting the cockpit, I found that the top of the fuselage needed a bit of pressure to get both sides to meet. Looking inside the fuselage halves, I found ejector pin marks (very slightly raised) right where the forward frame (part 5D step 12) fits. Once these were removed, the fuselage halves could close with only light pressure. I also added the exhaust fairings (36D/37D) to their respective fuselage halves to avoid any nasty steps.  I agree that most parts will require a 'fettle' to avoid nasty surprises.

Also a question for you (or any other Lynx experten who may be reading this) - I want to use the folded main rotor option. In step 110, the destructions indicate that a clear part (6E) is added to each main rotor blade hub. Step 110 deals with the unfolded rotor assembly but the addition of part 6E is not shown in the equivalent folded rotor option steps (111-120) is this an oversight?

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pappy said:

Whoa, who are you and what have you done with Martian, all this progress is very unusual :P

Great work Martian, I am following very closely. I decided to jump in and cracked the bags on mine to build as part of the 'In the Navy' GB.

Whilst test fitting the cockpit, I found that the top of the fuselage needed a bit of pressure to get both sides to meet. Looking inside the fuselage halves, I found ejector pin marks (very slightly raised) right where the forward frame (part 5D step 12) fits. Once these were removed, the fuselage halves could close with only light pressure. I also added the exhaust fairings (36D/37D) to their respective fuselage halves to avoid any nasty steps.  I agree that most parts will require a 'fettle' to avoid nasty surprises.

Also a question for you (or any other Lynx experten who may be reading this) - I want to use the folded main rotor option. In step 110, the destructions indicate that a clear part (6E) is added to each main rotor blade hub. Step 110 deals with the unfolded rotor assembly but the addition of part 6E is not shown in the equivalent folded rotor option steps (111-120) is this an oversight?

cheers,

Pappy

It is in fact me Pappy, fret ye mot, things will slow down when I start the fine detailing. Perhaps as soon as today as I intend to take a look at those horrible mesh intake guards. I think that I am enjoying this kit because it very much fits in with my chaotic lifestyle at the moment. The kit is very much one that has to be tackled in short sessions, which is all I am going to get for the foreseeable future. Were things "normal" here at Martian Mansions, with plenty of time for modelling, I think I would be finding it a rather frustrating build. I suppose what I am trying to say is that it is the right kit at the right time.

I have found that Airfix have allowed too little tolerance between many of the major parts and that it is well worth taking some time to ease or even remove some of the locating ridges for the main interior parts of the model to allow a bit of "wriggle room".

I will have to have to have a look at the instructions to answer your question about the rotor hub as I have not looked that far ahead in the build.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Cheers mate,

I have already built mine - in my head that is!

I usually build out of sequence and tend to use the instructions as a part position indicator, so this means I have to read ahead through the entire instruction sheet to prevent any pitfalls that may prevent me installing something later, I usually get away with it but I have been caught out as well,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Well, I was originally going to do the model with red intake covers. Right up until some little oik suggested I try making the intakes. This of course nagged at the Martian brain until I at least had to have a bash at it. I has taken me all day, that's right, al £*%$("g day to make just one side! I did adapt the idea suggested here in that I have fettled the mesh so that it is detachable to allow for painting the intakes.

It goes without saying that there is a blurglecruncheoning awaiting said oik, once I have remembered who he is, for putting the idea in my very suggestable mind.

First technical question; what colour was the intake mesh on Lynx?

Anyway, I hope you like the result of today's efforts, guess what awaits me on the morrow?

Thanks for looking 

Martian 👽

031.jpg

032.jpg

• Like 14

Intake mesh natural metal, so kind of silver-y.

I am not sure what is meant by Marklo’s “Z linkage”, but I am reasonably certain that broom handles and jubilee clips weren’t a normal part of the Air Stores department.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Totally productive day i reckon, good job 

Cheers Hewy.

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Intake mesh natural metal, so kind of silver-y.

I am not sure what is meant by Marklo’s “Z linkage”, but I am reasonably certain that broom handles and jubilee clips weren’t a normal part of the Air Stores department.

Thanks for that Crisp.

Martian 👽

Just a quickie today as I am utterly exhausted following what Hewy would describe as another "productive day". For whatever reason the starboard intake mesh decided to fight me all the way. I would have thought it would have been easier second time around. Still we now have a matching (ish) pair of intake guards. One thing is for certain, the next Lynx I build will be getting intakes covers!

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

034.jpg

035.jpg

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

They may have fought you, but under paint those will look excellent. 

Thanks Crisp, coming from BM's resident Lynx expert, that means a lot. All I have to do now is to wait until tomorrow so that everything is dry and I can clean the fairing up.

Martian 👽

2 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking grand. Six pages in and going great guns. 🤩

enough room for a little un?

wonderful work Mr M.

Jont.

Plenty of room for you Johnny, hope you enjoy the ride.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I am no Lynx expert, but that looks like it's coming on extremely well Martian. I love those intake meshes especially. This almost makes me want to build one....... !!!

Terry

Thanks Terry, there are plenty of Lynx kits out there.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

....BM's resident Lynx expert...

Only one of, my green be-tentacled friend, but thanks for the compliment.

For example, given his avatar, I don’t think @Chewbacca will mind me outing him as another ex-Navy Lynx operator.  In his case the left-hand seat, so if you want to know any of that radar / missile / navigation / brains stuff, he’s your man.  I was the trained monkey on the right (or so assorted examples of Talking Ballast told me every so often...)

@Terry1954, both the Airfix 1/48 and Revell 1/32 Lynx kits are good.  No slur should be inferred on 1/72 Lynx kits - no doubt there are good examples there, too; it’s just not my scale so I have no idea.  [The WEM 1/350 one is good].

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Put it this way his stories surrounding the island of St Kits were way more memorable and unrepeatable, than the broom handle ones.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

both the Airfix 1/48 and Revell 1/32 Lynx kits are good.  No slur should be inferred on 1/72 Lynx kits - no doubt there are good examples there, too;

Thanks Crisp. I had heard similar re both 1/48 and 1/32, but very encouraging to hear that, given you have likely spent some considerable hours with one strapped about your person. Who got to fill the windscreen washer bottle then? 

Although I am a "one true scale" 1/72 person by birth, I am recently getting irresistible yearnings for the bigger scales. A very long standing and good friend (also born to 1/72) converted many years ago. You can imagine his delight when he learned of my tempting desires to what he calls "the faith" or the "one perfect scale" of 1/48. He actually went very dark side by scratch building in 1/32 earning himself a commended at Telford some years back.

The very same person is also persuading me to upscale from 1/700 to 1/350 in the nautical stakes.

So I am probably destined to join him, and the rest of you big boys, at some point soon!

Terry

• Like 3

1/48 is only 50% bigger but I find it makes modelling a little bit easier as things like interiors are just a bit less fiddly and the overall build doesn’t take up a lot more shelf space.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4