1/48 Lynx Danish Style

Martian

My head of hair may or may not still be described as “fine”, but it sure as Heck ain’t that colour any more.  A friend of mine described its present shade as “Graveyard Blond” the other day, which I think about sums it up!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 7

Martin, which part of the engine housing are you missing? I'll be building my Lynx as a South African one using Scaleworx conversion for the Mk 300 so I might not need the part you're looking for.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Static grass and a quick spray of desert sand. There's your solution!

Can you get static grass in electric blue?

30 minutes ago, aidy said:

Martin, which part of the engine housing are you missing? I'll be building my Lynx as a South African one using Scaleworx conversion for the Mk 300 so I might not need the part you're looking for.

Cheers Aidy. The part is number 8b, which can be found in section 39 of the kit instructions.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aidy said:

Martin, I've just checked with the instructions and 8B is a part I'm not going to use. Let me know where to send it, please.

PM sent.

Martian 👽

• 2 weeks later...

Where has the Alien been? Feeling very sorry for himself is the answer. A very bad bout of tonsillitis has kept me from all thoughts of plastic worrying for the last week and a half. Why can't you Earthlings keep your wretched diseases to yourselves?

However, yesterday saw a small improvement and a modicum of fettling was undertaken. One aspect of being laid up in bed is it does give one time to think. In this case, a Martian having such time on his tentacles is usually a very bad thing as, more often than not, it gets me into some sort of trouble. Trouble, this time took the form of me dwelling about that rear cabin bulkhead. Could I live with the kit part or not? Not, was the conclusion my fevered brains came to and before I knew what was happening the kit part had been ripped out of the model and used as a basis to scratch build a more accurate replacement. I took this opportunity to build the "Broom Cupboard" into the bulkhead. I really have to try and find something that could be fashioned into a 1/48 scale broom.

It may just be a scurrilous rumour put about by Vice-Admiral Sir Horatio Arbuthnot Byng-Melchett, but is there any truth in the tale that Crisp's ship's flight personnel used to use the broom cupboard as a sort of naughty corner for their pilot when he couldn't behave or they just needed to keep him out of the way? I'm sure some good old fashioned informed BM debate will soon clear this pressing matter up.

Clearly, some sort of quilting effect was going to be needed on the replacement bulkhead and here at least I had one of those rarest of very rare things; a cunning plan that has been shown to work in the past. Many years ago, I was building the Battleaxe 1/48 kit of the Piasecki HUP-2 helicopter and was faced with the problem as to what to use for quilted soundproofing. Some years prior to this I had used the packaging of a Marks and Spencer Victoria sponge for this purpose but had long since run out of the material and M&S had long since changed their packaging. However, I was at a barbeque and noticed that the plastic plates in use had a very similar pattern to the cake packaging. Further research revealed that different super market's plates has similar but different sized patterns. A selection of plates was purchased and one with approximately the right size and shape of pattern was used to line the bulkhead. I still have to decide whether to replace the quilting on the fuselage sides to ensure better continuity in the quilting but I am happy that there is an answer if I do so decide. I will be leaving the quilting on the cabin roof as supplied in the kit as I thing that to try and replace it with the plate material might be pushing the properties of the stuff a bit too far as it would have to lay down over some pretty awkward contours..

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

022.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Sorry to hear you've not been well, I hope a full recovery is prompt in coming.

Roger

Thanks Roger, its a good sign that I even felt like picking the model.

Convalescent of Mars 👽

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Why can't you Earthlings keep your wretched diseases to yourselves?

Because it's far too much fun sharing them with others.

Just ask the Chinese!

Nice sound proofing though!

Ian

• Haha 2

Nice idea and work with the soundproofing Martian. Too bad the foam plates on this side of the pond are not as textured as yours, usually flat, or that's their claim. But does spark an idea in an otherwise addled brain. Must investimagate this further. Hope you are feeling better in the interim

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Because it's far too much fun sharing them with others.

Just ask the Chinese!

Nice sound proofing though!

Ian

Thanks Ian. Remind me to share some Jovian Gobberwartsitis  with you sometime.

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Nice idea and work with the soundproofing Martian. Too bad the foam plates on this side of the pond are not as textured as yours, usually flat, or that's their claim. But does spark an idea in an otherwise addled brain. Must investimagate this further. Hope you are feeling better in the interim

The plates I use are plastic, not foam. Can you not get plastic ones over there?

Martian 👽👽

20 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Plastic, DOH! That I'll look at next time I go to Wally World, Thanks Martian

Hey, I have a mind like a steel trap.... That's rusted shut. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

Hey, I have a mind like a steel trap.... That's rusted shut. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

Join the club! Hang on, you already did!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2020 at 2:17 PM, Martian Hale said:

Where has the Alien been? Feeling very sorry for himself is the answer. A very bad bout of tonsillitis has kept me from all thoughts of plastic worrying for the last week and a half. Why can't you Earthlings keep your wretched diseases to yourselves?

The fumes from the glue pot should sort out the tonsillitis............................

Tim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishbed said:

The fumes from the glue pot should sort out the tonsillitis............................

Tim

Well they didn't Tim, along those lines, none of us should ever catch anything. I await your next cunning plan.

21 minutes ago, TonkaGuy said:

Get well soon, the build is going great so far! 

Thanks, on the rare occasion I can get to the bench at the moment, I am enjoying it. Perhaps it is because it is the only even vaguely "normal" thing going on in my life at the moment.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Well they didn't Tim, along those lines, none of us should ever catch anything. I await your next cunning plan.

a squirt of cellulose thinners from the airbrush may have the desired results.   If not a good single malt should have the desired anesthetic result you need. 

Not had a cold in years .......................... 😉

• Haha 3

Ahhh Grand and wise Seer of the red wastelands, hope your battle with the nefarious tonsils have resulted in full recovery. I have a question on your thoughts of the Battleaxe Hup-2 you constructed in the far reaches of time long past. I have one in the stash.  and was pondering of putting glue and paint to thinking it would be quick, easy build to keep me occupied whilst current build to dry. First inspection shows a lot of flash, sparse detail and partially dimpled vac windscreen. Any suggestions or opinons would be greatly anticipated and appreciated. Thank you. I now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Ahhh Grand and wise Seer of the red wastelands, hope your battle with the nefarious tonsils have resulted in full recovery. I have a question on your thoughts of the Battleaxe Hup-2 you constructed in the far reaches of time long past. I have one in the stash.  and was pondering of putting glue and paint to thinking it would be quick, easy build to keep me occupied whilst current build to dry. First inspection shows a lot of flash, sparse detail and partially dimpled vac windscreen. Any suggestions or opinons would be greatly anticipated and appreciated. Thank you. I now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast .

My suggestion would be to leave it in the stash and either tart up the Atlantic models re-pop of the old Helicopters for Industry mould or hang on for the Upcoming AMP kit. I had one hell of a time trying to bludgeon the Battleaxe kit into shape and just about any alternative has to be better than this kit, unless of course, you enjoy beating yourself up. 

Take my advice and put this kit in the "Pass on to someone I really, really don't like" pile.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

I like your bulkhead Much better than the kit one, smashing job 👍

Cheers Hewy, more to come on that front tomorrow.

Martian 👽