1/48 Lynx Danish Style

Martian

As many of you will be aware, life at the moment is a never ending series of serious embuggerances which have severely limited work on my current projects. Accordingly, I feel the need to step firmly back into my comfort zone. For me, this usually means building a helicopter 🚁 and preferably a colourful one at that.. God willing, I have a few days free of problems and have decided to pull the Airfix Lynx out of the stash and intend to at least make a start on it.

We are most fortunate with this build in that we have a certain Lynx driver and noted naval aviator of this parish in the person of Crisp aka @Ex-FAAWAFU who has "volunteered " to lend his experience to the project.

Why a Danish machine? Well, firstly it is colourful and secondly, I was impressed by a documentary on the Danish vessel HDMS Absalon which featured one of her Lynx shooting the proverbial out of some Somali pirate vessels.

the thread may be a bit intermittent as, at the moment I don't know from one day to the next whether I am going to be in Oxford or Poole.

Thanks for looking and let the mayhem begin!

Martian 👽

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 17

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Nice choice Martin, looking forward to this build. Remeber lots of ref in the Pinned items from the Lynx GB.

Colin

Heading over there now.

Martian 👽

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Does Danish style mean it will only have a floor and no roof?

No but there is the extreme likelihood that Danish Pastries will be consumed during the build, in order to get into the right mindset. 

24 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Nice project!

Thanks, it should be fun. I hope so as I need some light relief from trying to sort my Father's affairs out. I will go barking mad otherwise!

Wibble 👽

• Like 3

I made this kit before I started the Chinook. I seem to remember it went together quite well. Looks like you've got the cockpit, seatbelts and interior PE sets? I think that's a good way to go. I had an exterior set too, but I ended up not using a lot of it, and I wouldn't bother again.  Looking forward to seeing you bring it to life. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

No but there is the extreme likelihood that Danish Pastries will be consumed during the build, in order to get into the right mindset. 

Thanks, it should be fun. I hope so as I need some light relief from trying to sort my Father's affairs out. I will go barking mad otherwise!

Wibble 👽

If the Martian Is taking orders I'll have 2 cheese danish if you please, if unavailable raspberry will suffice.😎

and a double mocha frappuccino with clotted cream,chocolate sprinkles and a cherry on top. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

go barking mad

Oh ok.....

If it's any consolation. We're trying to conclude my Father in laws affairs, dealing with an infestation of False Widows Spiders (couldn't just be garden spiders come in from the cold oh no, not in my house), a sick Dog, immanent redundancy and  my ME, which all seems  part of normal life for us.  My tenuous grasp on reality is only maintained through the mental relief that modelling brings (but I am also trying to learn to meditate at the moment).

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

A very fine choice indeed, I'm currently half way through my build as a RN version (would I choose anything else?). She goes together well just be careful with your fuselage joins. When it comes to fitting the halves around the fwd frame there was much whittling and checking involved! Just dry fit everything!

Looking forward to this cracking on!

Bob

• Like 2

Looks interesting! A long time ago as a young sailor, we had a swap for a couple of days with some lads off a Danish ship while we messed around up north. They were, in the words of the Chief Yeoman, "fookin' mental". Good lads though and they could certainly drive their ship about!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chrislowe said:

I made this kit before I started the Chinook. I seem to remember it went together quite well. Looks like you've got the cockpit, seatbelts and interior PE sets? I think that's a good way to go. I had an exterior set too, but I ended up not using a lot of it, and I wouldn't bother again.  Looking forward to seeing you bring it to life. 

I'm looking forward to having a go this evening, life's other embuggerances permitting.

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

If the Martian Is taking orders I'll have 2 cheese danish if you please, if unavailable raspberry will suffice.😎

and a double mocha frappuccino with clotted cream,chocolate sprinkles and a cherry on top. 

Get your own cakes! before I know it I will be taking orders for the whole of the planet. I do have some Vogon Bugblatter burgers going cheap but nobody seems to want them on the grounds that they taste as bad as Vogon poetry sounds.

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Oh ok.....

If it's any consolation. We're trying to conclude my Father in laws affairs, dealing with an infestation of False Widows Spiders (couldn't just be garden spiders come in from the cold oh no, not in my house), a sick Dog, immanent redundancy and  my ME, which all seems  part of normal life for us.  My tenuous grasp on reality is only maintained through the mental relief that modelling brings (but I am also trying to learn to meditate at the moment).

Sorry to hear of your woes, especially the ME. Its only an injection of BM insanity that keeps me sane. Trouble is that my ailing Father keeps throwing up problems faster than I can deal with them and although he has plenty of money, trying to make sense of how he has organised it is a right can of worms.:worms:

2 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

A very fine choice indeed, I'm currently half way through my build as a RN version (would I choose anything else?). She goes together well just be careful with your fuselage joins. When it comes to fitting the halves around the fwd frame there was much whittling and checking involved! Just dry fit everything!

Bob

Thanks for the heads up Bob. Given my current circumstances, progress is more likely to be in fits and starts.

2 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Looks interesting! A long time ago as a young sailor, we had a swap for a couple of days with some lads off a Danish ship while we messed around up north. They were, in the words of the Chief Yeoman, "fookin' mental". Good lads though and they could certainly drive their ship about!

Pictures?

Martian 👽

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I'm looking forward to having a go this evening, life's other embuggerances permitting.

Get your own cakes! before I know it I will be taking orders for the whole of the planet. I do have some Vogon Bugblatter burgers going cheap but nobody seems to want them on the grounds that they taste as bad as Vogon poetry sounds.

Sorry to hear of your woes, especially the ME. Its only an injection of BM insanity that keeps me sane. Trouble is that my ailing Father keeps throwing up problems faster than I can deal with them and although he has plenty of money, trying to make sense of how he has organised it is a right can of worms.:worms:

Thanks for the heads up Bob. Given my current circumstances, progress is more likely to be in fits and starts.

Pictures?

Martian 👽

Vogon Bugblatter burgers you say! Nothing like the odiferous exotic aroma of Vogon Bugblatter burgers wafting over the countryside on a summers eve,killing every insect that has the unfortunate fate of coming in contact with it within 10k . Like Vogon Bugblatter poetry its an acquired taste. And has the same effect. 2 medium well done, hold the sauce, gives me a nasty case of stomach distress. Now where did I put that bottle of Dr. Dreadful's magic elixir, steak sauce and paint stripper guaranteed to cure what ails you, or kill you or your money cheerfully refunded to your next of kin...

• Haha 3

All the very best and greetings from Lincolnshire, Venerable Alien. It's good to see you back, and I'm sorry to hear of your woes.

In Yorkshire, the Thomas chain of bakeries does a chocolate orange Danish. Basically a big Jaffa cake. and only about 95p!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

All the very best and greetings from Lincolnshire, Venerable Alien. It's good to see you back, and I'm sorry to hear of your woes.

In Yorkshire, the Thomas chain of bakeries does a chocolate orange Danish. Basically a big Jaffa cake. and only about 95p!

Mmmm, sweet! :Tasty:

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Just dry fit everything!

Bob

Sound advice, I have a terrible tendency of just glueing things, clamping the life out of them and relying on copious filling to get it in the edit, so to speak.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Sound advice, I have a terrible tendency of just glueing things, clamping the life out of them and relying on copious filling to get it in the edit, so to speak.

Looks like you are in good company then!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:31 PM, Martian Hale said:

the thread may be a bit intermittent as, at the moment I don't know from one day to the next whether I am going to be in Oxford or Poole.

I know there's a serious reason behind this Daddy M., but it does make it sound like you have an incredibly unreliable Satnav...

Danish Lynx?

You're doing sausages?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks interesting , nice choice, will try and watch with interest. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, hopefully we can supply plenty of interest.

Martian 👽

For the first time in what seems like ages, I managed to get a decent session at the bench and feel much better for it.

I have read that the fit of this kit can be somewhat challenging in places and as is my usual habit, I decided to get stuck into some of these issues before I do any detail work. The first area I tackled is the large frame that sits just aft of the pilot's and observer's seats. This requires a good deal of filing and sanding if the top of the fuselage is to close up properly.

I took a good look at the port and starboard quilted panels. I like the effect Airfix have created but definitely not the thickness of them. They are of a scale thickness that would put many a battleship's armour plate to shame. I sorted this out by grinding and sanding them until they were as thin as I dared go. I then removed their locating tabs and glued them to their respective fuselage halves. The ends of the quilting were then tidied up using Mr Hobby Dissolved Gloop.  This left gaps showing on the cabin floor which I plugged with plastic stock and sanded to shape. While cleaning up the cabin floor, I removed the raised detail as I felt it was too obtrusive and that scratch built detail would look better.

I have also got the nose halves glued together. The fit of these is not the greatest so out came the gloop again. I think I will see what the fit of the cabin roof is like and make any necessary adjustments next, followed by some detail work on the cabin floor; I always feel better when the white plastic card comes out. I must be turning into @Navy Bird!

Thanks for looking 

Martian 👽

003.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Hamden said:

Got room for one more?

Nice start on the fuselage refinements looking forward to more of the same 

Roger

Thanks Roger, always room for you.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

I will watch this thread. Not only have I started building my own Danish Lynx (well, the first of a few) some years ago, but I also had the pleasure of working with these until their retirement. The special retirement paint job resulted in me having my bottom chewed. 😑

Let me know if you into any problems. ;)

Jens

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jens said:

I will watch this thread. Not only have I started building my own Danish Lynx (well, the first of a few) some years ago, but I also had the pleasure of working with these until their retirement. The special retirement paint job resulted in me having my bottom chewed. 😑

Let me know if you into any problems. ;)

Jens

Thanks Jens, I may well end up taking you up on your offer. I think though we will leave the bottom chewing to @general melchett, much more his style.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4