Good Overall Entry Level Airbrush

Leander999

Hello!

I hate to be 'that new guy' coming in with the same question as everyone else, but I really cant seem to find a definite answer. 

Ive been lookin around, and see a lot of people recommending the Iwatas for a first as they're cheap and decent, but I'm curious if Id be able to do what Im planning to with it.

Im looking for an overall airbrush, as it will be my only one for completing all the tasks. I plan on doing everything from Basecoats, paintjobs, camopaintjobs, Mottling and varnishes.

Is it even doable with only one airbrush? or would I have to get more of them for different tasks? I forgot to mention that I will mainly be building 1/48 scale aircraft. perhaps some 1/24 cars later.

Looking forward to hear if anyones got any opinion or experience!

-Leander

Hi,   The first thing you need to decide is how much your budget is.  Assuming you are after something that is good quality. 

If you are after a good quality entry level double action airbrush, the Harder & Steenbeck Ultra 2in1 is a good starter brush.  It has two different paint cups, 2ml & 5ml and it also had two different nozzle sets. A 0.2mm for small area and details and a 0.4mm for priming and area coverage.  UK price is £85. 

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/hs-ultra-2in1br---02mm-04mm-nozzle-and-v20-needles--2ml-5ml-paint-cups-3703-p.asp

Traditional double action brushes can take a while to master, another option is a brush with much less of a learning curve.

The Sparmax GP-35 is a double action trigger airbrush with a side fed paint cup.

You pull the trigger back until you feel resistance; this opens the air feed. Then you pull the trigger back more to let the paint flow, the more you pull it back the more paint flows. UK price is £90

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/sparmax-gp-35-3723-p.asp

We sell loads of both of these, personally I prefer the Sparmax GP-35.

The H&S brush strips down for cleaning/maintenance without any tools, the Sparmax  is usually just flushed through to clean &  the needle wiped.

Paul

Edited by little-cars
  • Like 1

Guess I will be the odd man out on this one.  Mine wasn't the Ultra, but I sold by H&S Silverline 2-in-1.  Going back to Iwata (or GSI Creos).  Love my Iwata HP-BCS (upgraded to 0.35 from 0.5), other than the separate cup being loose (old airbrush age thing).  Can make it run circle around the H&S.  H&S fought me every time even with a version 2 needle and nozzle.  Probably go with an Iwata HP-B Plus (0.2) and something else for a little wide pattern.

As above, I prefer Iwata's, wouldn't bother with the neo though, that's not made in Japan

I also have a couple of Tamiya sprayworks airbushes .2 & .3 they are as good as the Iwata's and can be got quite cheap direct from Japan, even with the vat and royal mail charges added

20 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

The old nozzles had a tendency to crack and the needle tips were prone to wear

I consider needles and nozzles as near-consumables. I always have at least one extra set on-hand. 

• Like 1

Well.....I've yet to replace a needle and a nozzle on any of my airbrushes. I should replace one of the needles on my Ultra, but a quick polish always restores it so no hurry there. 

Edit: I was trying to give him the heads up as he could pick a second hand Ultra with a cracked nozzle and ruin his experience (and potentially add significant cost by replacing the needle-nozzle set exceeding the cost of buying a new airbrush in the first place).

Edited by bmwh548