Phantom FG1, 43 Squadron

I did a fair bit of research into the ILS aerial colours (i.e. looked at a lot of pictures!) and convinced myself that they were camo.  I have seen close ups of a lot of special schemed fins (e.g. black 74 sqn, red 56 sqn) and in those cases the ILS aerials match the colour of the fin (black/red in those instances).  I have yet to see a picture of a camo bird where the ILS aerials look white.  They often appear to be 'dark' cos they're in shadow - not incredibly conclusive.

Al.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @alhenderson. I use this, either brushed on then rub over with a kitchen towel or a dry brush, or in this case I dabbed some of the dirt wash directly onto a kitchen towel, let it soak in a minute then rub it onto the model. If it looks too dark it's water soluble so you can wash it off or just rub it more for a subtler effect.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Of course, unlike me it's best to do the weathering after the decals! Oh well, I'll probably need to give it a quick brush over again after all those Phantom stencils are on.

• Like 1

The famous 43 Squadron checkerboards are on! 

spacer.png

Just needs some tidying up now, a few bits of dark sea grey to add, then canopies and sorting out a serial number. Then I just need to decide what to do about that tailplane.

• Like 5

Thanks Bob! I do have a FAA one, though in 1/72. 

It's certainly a nice kit, generally fits together nicely for the most part too. Kudos to Revell for releasing it, I'm glad I never succumbed to the temptation last year of spending about £60 on a Hasegawa one!

Having said that, I've now bitten the bullet and shelled out about £15 for two slotted tailplanes. 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks Bob! I do have a FAA one, though in 1/72. 

It's certainly a nice kit, generally fits together nicely for the most part too. Kudos to Revell for releasing it, I'm glad I never succumbed to the temptation last year of spending about £60 on a Hasegawa one!

Having said that, I've now bitten the bullet and shelled out about £15 for two slotted tailplanes. 🙄

the Revell kit is a re-box of the Hasegawa for half the price! so you've still saved £15, that's my theory anyway and the way I'll explain it to she who must be obeyed 😉

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Haha 1

The decals were just the job Iain, thanks! I ordered the tailplanes from 48ers.com last week but they still haven't arrived.

@alhenderson, to be honest I just best guessed at the nosedoor code, I had a spare letter J in what looked a similar size to the code in the photo below of 43 sqn's 'M':

spacer.png

And this is mine. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

@Lord Riot thanks for the pictures.  I can't quite work out if the Fujimi 1:72nd nose wheel door is that accurate.  Doesn't seem to be much space for a code letter.   Maybe I'm overthinking, I'll just see what I can fit on there.

Al.

• Like 1

I handmade the tiny mirror for the top of the nav's canopy. In case he wants to check his hair while the pilot is working 😉 Apologies to any navigators out there! *banter*

Anyway, here's the little mirror that wasn't included in the kit.

spacer.png

And the pylons with AIM-9 rails fitted:

spacer.png

@alhenderson the nosewheel door detail is probably just down to scale, those three small lights probably hardly show up in 1/72?

• Like 1

The layout of the Fujimi door is spot on - however, all the detail is slightly oversized. aerial and lights, and so leaves insufficient room for the code letter. Basically down to what you can do in moulding I guess, as the detail to true 1/72 scale would be tiny.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

The layout of the Fujimi door is spot on - however, all the detail is slightly oversized. aerial and lights, and so leaves insufficient room for the code letter. Basically down to what you can do in moulding I guess, as the detail to true 1/72 scale would be tiny.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm seeing, which is why I was trying to work out the size of the code letter on the door as I was thinking of trying to sand down the detail of the light and the 3 dots next to it (what are they?).  Then I can put the code letter on and paint a little silver dot for the light.  Or something along those lines...

Al.