Phantom FG1, 43 Squadron

I'm going to attempt to make the second of the three of these in my stash as an FG1. The only major issue is those slotted tailplanes, but I'll worry about those later. It might be a case of cutting into them, or just leaving them and pretend slats aren't a thing on FG1s! 

However, I'll do my best on the rest of it, including these extra decals I bought especially a while ago (before I came on here and learned of those damned slats!).

So she'll be camo, and my usual everything hanging out and down or open, regardless of the realities of hydraulics, etc, just because I think they look cooler like that.

The box, familiar to millions:

spacer.png

Extra decals! I'll need to add the red/blue roundel over the red/white/blue as I'm doing her to represent the early 80s colours.

spacer.png

Furniture assembled and painted. Added my usual masking tape straps.

spacer.png

I'd forgotten that Revell didn't include cockpit decals. Ok for some of you on here with your fancy painting skills, but I need decals! Did my best with a black biro anyway.

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 14

Good start. Just a thought, are there no F-4 kits out there that have both slotted and unslotted tailplanes included? Maybe someone has a spare set or a kit you could maybe get cheap and build an unslotted option from?

• Thanks 1

Anyone know if I'd be correct to believe that in the 80s, most FG1s had white AIM-9 pylons, despite being light aircraft grey underneath? It looks like it from photos but I'm not sure if it's a trick of the light.

Most photos I've seen seem to show them without the big underwing fuel tanks too, was that the common fit? Unless I'm mostly looking at airshow photos!

The fuselage fits together pretty well, just needs squeezing for a bit while the glue sets.

spacer.png

The intakes need a bit of jiggling to get flush in all directions. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

All the spraying done. I'm quite pleased so far, nice straight lines and no blistering or seepage (doctor!)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the plans it says the fin ILS aerials are white, but they seem darker to me in most photos. Anyone know their correct colour?

• Like 4

I can't put this off any longer. I somehow need make these:

spacer.png

look like this:

spacer.png

Were they like that underneath too?

I'm thinking a small screwdriver heated up might do it, melt the grooves then sand them.

• Like 1

Thanks @Andy350, yes it can take a while but it seems quite effective. I actually learnt it from this forum!

Basically I spray the kit one of the camo colours all over, then after it's dry I just roll blu-tack 'snakes', stick them on along the edges of the camo pattern, then cut an old shopping bag into shapes to mask the bits I want to keep the same colour. Then just spray the grey (or green) and peel off the blu-tack once the paint has dried.

I block the intakes, cockpit, etc with sponge.

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 24/01/2020 at 10:07, Lord Riot said:

Anyone know if I'd be correct to believe that in the 80s, most FG1s had white AIM-9 pylons, despite being light aircraft grey underneath? It looks like it from photos but I'm not sure if it's a trick of the light.

Most photos I've seen seem to show them without the big underwing fuel tanks too, was that the common fit? Unless I'm mostly looking at airshow photos!

The research I've doe for my 1:72nd FG.1 in the same time frame leads me to believe that the pylons were indeed white.  I think there is a silver leading edge on the inboard sidewinder pylons too.  For QRA fit, underwing tanks were de rigeur, as was the centre line tank.  Can thoroughly recommend the British Phantoms bookazine that was published a few years ago - some great pictures.  Also, if you're on FB there's a group called 'British Phantom Aviation Group' which is well worth joining.  They have a fair few pictures in the archive.

They look so good in this camo!  One thing I noticed when I did mine is that the Xtradecal type D roundels (needed to cover the red/white/blue ones in the checkerboard) were a lot brighter than those I had in the older xtra decal set that provided the 43 sqn marks.  So I used roundels from the newer set for the wings as well.  Only problem was the fin flash - it was a bit beyond me to make a swept fin flash from the straight lines that xtra decal provided in the roundels sheet so I ended up using the ones from the other sheet (which I think is the same one you have above - just different scale).  Means that the colours don't quite match.  Also, I'm not convinced that the flash I used is big enough compared to the pictures that I have seen...

Al.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Al, I'll probably use the kit roundels to cover the type D roundels on the intakes. My Xtradecal set is actually the same as yours but in 1/48th, but the Revell decals include markings for a green/grey camo version so I'll only need the 43 sqn marks.

I'm thinking I'll do her in 'airshow fit'; no tanks just inboard pylons and sidewinder rails. Oh and the blue 'ballast' dummy Sparrows in the two front recesses. I think most RAF Phantoms had those fitted unless they were carrying real Sparrows there. I assume for the c of g?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks Al, I'll probably use the kit roundels to cover the type D roundels on the intakes. My Xtradecal set is actually the same as yours but in 1/48th, but the Revell decals include markings for a green/grey camo version so I'll only need the 43 sqn marks.

I'm thinking I'll do her in 'airshow fit'; no tanks just inboard pylons and sidewinder rails. Oh and the blue 'ballast' dummy Sparrows in the two front recesses. I think most RAF Phantoms had those fitted unless they were carrying real Sparrows there. I assume for the c of g?

From what I've read here and other places, yes the dummy sparrows were for CofG.  Think only one was technically needed?  I also think that they didn't need them in FAA service which is strange.  Saw some comments somewhere that they didn't use the fin fuel tank in FAA service.  No idea what the truth is, mind..  Love the research involved in doing this - sometimes it seems a shame to finish a kit 🙂

Al.

• Like 2

Yes, it's fascinating what you learn making these isn't it! It kind of brings old jets back to life in a way. 

More progress on the Toom:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unfortunately my attempt to make my own tailplane slats wasn't the best! Anyone have a spare pair of FG1 tailplanes they'd sell!?

spacer.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement gents! A bit more progress today ...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I guess I'm going to have to make this area a bit dirty! And the underside, lots of oil stains.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Thanks @exdraken!

I did see those, was really hoping I'd be able to bodge my own as they're expensive aren't they, more than half what the whole kit cost just for two tailplanes! I might see if I can just melt a straight line along the top then see if I can rescue them somehow. 

• Like 1

There's never a bad time for a Toom! Although perhaps three kits on the go would be a bit much! Could get confusing if you use the same workbench too. I'm looking forward to seeing your Beverley finished.

I've hit an impasse though. Tried one last time to melt the slats on that damn tailplane, but it all went Pete Tong unfortunately. So I have a tail-less Phantom for the moment. If only they'd based some on the Isle of Man!

spacer.png

The rest of it is going reasonably ok so far, just a bit of tidying up needed and some research into the ILS aerial colour. Then thete's the issue of weathering, or rather dirt. I've done the rear part, but I'm loathe to make it too dirty as I'm going for airshow fit, so I'm guessing they may have been cleaned up a bit for that. The underside will probably need some stains adding though.

spacer.png

• Like 1