Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXc. Finished 05/03/20.

7 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Sleeps for wimps, keep going!

amazing work even when tired, I wouldn’t say it was a small update. I hope your asleep now!

Rob

Hey Rob

no no modelling for me today. I’m happy with how the engine is turning out but it surprises me that Eduard have missed off some fairly sizeable bits of plumbing off the motor, it’s not the end of the world and I’ll add it later but for a product this good you just wouldn’t expect it.

Thank you for the kind comments btw.

cheers

Iain

• Like 1

On 23/01/2020 at 22:18, Troy Smith said:

Note, an early IX insides are all aluminium apart from the cockpit, which is grey-green, which stops at the seat bulkhead.

6317308321_06b57a232a_o.jpg

The above is Mk.VIII, but does show the engine bearers...

Probably too late for a repaint, but just in case of use....

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The above is Mk.VIII, but does show the engine bearers...

Probably too late for a repaint, but just in case of use....

Hi Troy

I kinda went into autopilot when I painted the engine bearers. The Eduard instructions do recommend either aluminium or interior green and went with the latter, unfortunately it’s too far down the line for me to repaint but thank you for the information if I ever build another one I’ll keep it in mind.

cheers buddy

Iain

Hey everyone

I think that I'm going to call the engine finished for now I still have to add some cabling that has been omitted by Eduard but I'll do this once the engine is attached to the air frame just to try and avoid any damage to it.

49482580557_9f8d18a62e_b.jpg 49482362986_3a80e88d8f_b.jpg 49482580487_e5afa7b94f_b.jpg 49482362996_dab2decf2c_b.jpg

The close ups really do show everything warts and all, it looks better in real life (honest!).

Later on today I'm going to concentrate on the gun bays, which shouldn't take too long and then its the cockpit, my favourite part.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 12

Nice work on the Merlin. Mine is still waiting for installment. I have lots of issues with the nose parts. 

On the shelf of doom for a long time already.

Will follow your build, maybe it results in picking up and building the Spitfires again I have in my stash.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Robert Jan Scholte v. Mast said:

Nice work on the Merlin. Mine is still waiting for installment. I have lots of issues with the nose parts. 

On the shelf of doom for a long time already.

Will follow your build, maybe it results in picking up and building the Spitfires again I have in my stash.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Hey Robert Jan

Thank you mate I appreciate your very kind words. Can I ask what issues you’ve been having and do you have any pictures of your build? I found that with careful clean up it went together fairly well and problems that I did have were of my own making. I’ve spent a couple of hours this afternoon working on the gun bays and hopefully I’ll get some paint on them later.

cheers buddy

Iain

49 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

@(ex)Sgtrafman,

Wow, that is one very realistic Merlin- looks like her TBO has expired! You can almost smell the coolant and oil! 👍

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks buddy, I want her to look used but not too abused, I had to google TBO (Time between overhaul?) it will be going in for a major inspection soonest!

Cheers

Iain 

46 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hi Mike

Thanks buddy, I want her to look used but not too abused, I had to google TBO (Time between overhaul?) it will be going in for a major inspection soonest!

Cheers

Iain 

Yep- should have spelled it out, but if I have to explain 'em, they're not nearly as funny! 😜

Mike

• Like 1

Hey everyone

Just one more quick update before I retire for the evening, here is where I'm at with the gun bays they look a but shiny coz I've just given them a gloss coat.

Here they are just as \i'd started to build them..

49484206676_b20460003d_b.jpg

And here they are complete but minus the cannon or any weathering..

49485305681_e86217d400_b.jpg

See told you it was quick!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 3

Hey everyone

I have gone as far as I can with the gun bays, I've made every third round a tracer and added a little panel wash to hopefully make it pop a little...

49487428882_2190f8c7f7_b.jpg 49487217266_f291efa9c5_b.jpg

49486724853_76e3ce0761_b.jpg

..To make painting easier and so not to damage them I'll put the cannon in the wings once I've painted the wings..

49487222761_ddde7e5a3c_b.jpg

..For the rest of my modelling time today I'm going to make a start on cleaning up the resin for the cockpit (I know I said I wasn't going to add it but I thought heck why not?)

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

I've been plodding away at this one and I have to say it hasn't been a complete bed of roses. The Brassin cockpit is very nice but I'm not sure what ascetic value it actually adds and its not the easiest thing to put together.

The clean up of parts is fairly straight forward but they are very fragile and this includes the bulkheads especially the rear bulkhead that don't have that much structural integrity at all and ultimately caused me all sorts of alignment issues, but when all put together it does look good..

Eduard 08 Eduard 09 Eduard 10 eduard 01 Eduard 05

..My plan now is to put it to one side for a week or so just to let everything cure properly and for any shrinkage to take place before I set to and clean it up and rescribe and rivet as needed.

The other day this just happened to pop through the letter box...

49534886317_e983bbc172_b.jpg

So I thought whilst the Spitfire is curing I might make a start on it.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 7

4 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

The other day this just happened to pop through the letter box...

49534886317_e983bbc172_b.jpg

So I thought whilst the Spitfire is curing I might make a start on it.

If you do an WIP i would be inclined to follow as I'm a bit of a fan of the Gladiator. 

• Like 1

Go on then, I like he Gladiator also. I don’t normally ‘do’ biplanes because of the rigging but I’m very tempted by this.

Great work on the Spitfire, I think that the Eduard kits, while beautiful, are a little over-engineered in places and not always the easiest to put together, but worth it in the end.

John

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Go on then, I like he Gladiator also. I don’t normally ‘do’ biplanes because of the rigging but I’m very tempted by this.

Great work on the Spitfire, I think that the Eduard kits, while beautiful, are a little over-engineered in places and not always the easiest to put together, but worth it in the end.

John

Hey John

Hows the weather in France at the moment coz its rubbish here!

The Eduard kits are a little over engineered but they do as you say build into very nice replicas of the real thing, the  resin engine and gun bays do add to the look of the build but I really don't think I'd bother with the resin cockpit again its just too fragile and causes too many unnecessary complications.

The ICM Gladiator has so far proven to be a lovely build, TBH I've not looked that far ahead (to the rigging) I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Cheers

Iain 

Hi, weather’s pretty good at the moment, sunny today and tomorrow’s forecast is more sun and 18C. We’re far enough south to miss most of the current nastiness, but we did get some of the last lot.

There are a couple of builds of the Gladiator on LSM which you might find interesting.

Cheer

John

15 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi, weather’s pretty good at the moment, sunny today and tomorrow’s forecast is more sun and 18C. We’re far enough south to miss most of the current nastiness, but we did get some of the last lot.

There are a couple of builds of the Gladiator on LSM which you might find interesting.

Cheer

John

Hey John

thanks got the heads up mate I’ll pop over to the LSM site and have a gander 👍

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

I've made a start on the camouflage pattern, national insignia and sqn codes. I've noticed that even though I thought I was being careful masking the air frame for painting I've managed to make some errors which will need to be addressed, however the painting of the national insignia and sqn codes went without any real problems and didn't need any tidying up, which is a first!

49569854047_906a3e82fb_b.jpg

The blank canvass and the masks from Montex..

49569853742_35fa2b8244_b.jpg

I did the under wing roundels first and these came out rather well (no over spray or distortion of the roundels)

pic5 pic6

The fuselage national insignia and sqn codes were next and again these came out ok..

pic7 pic8

The wing roundels and no walk line were a breeze..

pic9 pic10

I still have a lot to do on the old girl but I'm getting there slowly, annoyed with myself for the mistakes that I made when applying the camouflage but I can fix it.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 8

Hey everyone

I've spent today fixing most of the problems that I had with the camo work, I'd missed areas and gotten other areas wrong. All in all I'm happy with how this is going and my plan for the remainder of today is to get the Sutton Harness and gun sight fitted and mask up and paint the canopy. I know I didn't have to show any pictures with the engine fitted but I thought what the heck...

49583632321_206a315f09_b.jpg 49583632316_47b65dfc41_b.jpg

Cheers

Iain

• Like 4

Hey everyone

Well today I have managed to finish everything that I set out to complete (which is probably a first for me!). I added the Sutton Harness, the Gun sight and masked, painted and added the glazing. I still have plenty of touch ups to do but that's for another day...

49584640113_2bfd1f27a7_b.jpg

The gun site and rear canopy glazing...

49585416192_f57bd8ef05_b.jpg 49585180831_8dff71af8a_b.jpg 49584680853_bebebde2d6_b.jpg

..and a couple of the Sutton harness, cockpit canopy and cockpit view. 

Cheers

Iain 

• Like 5