Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IXc. Finished 05/03/20.

Hey everyone

Since my Tamiya Spitfire is coming to an end I decided to have a look through my stash to see what I could build next and at the bottom of the pile I spied an Eduard 1/48 Spitfire with quite a lot of AM, these being the Brassin engine, gun bay and brass undercarriage legs I don’t have the Brassin cockpit for this kit as I really don’t think it adds very much to it and its more than adequate straight out of the box and because I have the Profipack version (8282) you get photoetch for the cockpit included. Since I’ve been looking at period photographs I have a hankering to build a desert camouflaged bird that’s heavily weathered. 
I haven’t made a start yet as I’m concentrating on getting my Mk.1 finished but I’ll post some pictures later of what I intend.

cheers all

Iain

• Like 2

Hey everyone

Just to give you an idea of what I have to play with...

49429233506_c0ce43696c_c.jpg

Eduard Spitfire Mk.IXc early version Kit No 8282

49428757158_dc734e01fe.jpg

Eduard Brassin Spitfire undercarriage legs 1/48 Kit No 648124

49428757163_a3e91ccc82.jpg

Eduard Brassin Spitfire Mk.IX engine Kit No 648112

49429455122_22948ab6fa_c.jpg

Edurad Brassin Spitfire Mk.IX Gun bay Kit No 618443

K48255

Montex Super Mask K48255  The plane I want to build is EN286 flown by Lt Robinson, 1 Sqn RAAF, Luqa Malta June 1943.

All in all it should be the recipe for a nice build.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Antb said:

This is going to be good especially with all that AM! I'll tag along if that's alright? 

Oh ok then!!

Hey buddy - Hopefully it should be quite a build, I have everything I need to finish her, I just need to finish my Mk.1 Spit which is well on the way to completion!

Cheers

Iain

6 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I will sit quietly at the back and take notes for my buddy @Corsairfoxfouruncle, as he's probably knee-deep in one of his group builds!

Yes I get busy with my group builds... actually today I'm getting ready to go to the doctor.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey everyone

Whilst waiting for some bits to dry on my Mk.1 build I thought I'd make a start on this (as you do) and the first thing Eduard would have you do to fit the engine is to hack away at a perfectly good model...

49430177556_ff72102070_b.jpg

..as if you hadn't guessed the bits in red are what you need to remove. Now the fuselage (E9 and E1) wasn't a real problem just a couple of straight(ish) lines to follow but (in my case) C3 the wing under side was a totally different matter, how do you cut out quite a complex shape on what is rather thick plastic? ...Very carefully as it happens! The tools and method I used was 1: Trumpter scribing tool (very sharp), 2: thin tape (3M 471) 3:  JLC razor saw 4: Tamiya photo etch bending tool and if I was  drinking a large scotch!

I first cut several lengths of the 3M tape and applied it to the area to be removed (as if you were going to re scribe it), I then traced around the panel line with the Trumpter scribing tool mulitple times to deepen it, when I had deepened the panel line as much as I could I cut, using my razor saw, the area to be removed in half and then used the Tamiya bending tool to bend and weaken the plastic until it snapped I then cleaned the area with a hobby knife and files and I was left with this...

49430161771_6eb2d3ce1e_b.jpg

..quite accurate cuts (more luck than judgement).

That's all for now.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Not my scale, but who can resist an early IX with those neat-o blue codes? A shame she got SOC! I will sit quietly at the back and take notes for my buddy @Corsairfoxfouruncle, as he's probably knee-deep in one of his group builds! BTW- great detail photos!

Mike

Hey Mike

Welcome aboard and how jolly decent of you to take notes for Corsairfoxfouruncle. Yeah she sure was a good looking lady and its a shame she ended up how she did.

55 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes I get busy with my group builds... actually today I'm getting ready to go to the doctor.  

Well I hope all goes well at the doctor for you.

Cheers

Iain

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone

Well since my last post I have finished ALL of the major surgery needed to add the extra bits n bobs from the brassin upgrades and I have to be honest it went pretty painlessly with only one slip of the razor saw...

49431141132_d968a898a0_b.jpg

..You can see here that I have made a start on the port wing, you will notice that not only am I cutting out the gun covers (E type in this case) but I have also cut out the under carriage indicator which should be modelled open if the under carriage is down.

My tools of choice for all of the airframe surgery are my JLC razor saw, Trumpeter scriber, Trumpter micro chisels, cheap hobby knife and nail file.

49430606548_c6324ec8e9_b.jpg

.. and here are all the finished parts. Over all I'm happy with how these have turned out.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

49431141132_d968a898a0_b.jpg

..You can see here that I have made a start on the port wing, you will notice that not only am I cutting out the gun covers (E type in this case) but I have also cut out the under carriage indicator which should be modelled open if the under carriage is down.

I stand ready to be lambasted but I thought those actuators are the flap indicators. 
Gear indicators were small flat rod-like 36° angled bars closer to the leading edge. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I stand ready to be lambasted but I thought those actuators are the flap indicators. 
Gear indicators were small flat rod-like 36° angled bars closer to the leading edge. 

Bugger you know I think your right! Luckily in the kit you get e wings and c wings and I cut up the e wing so it will be easy to rectify my mistake (I hope).

Thanks for the info.

Iain

I just learned it's the late c-wing. E-wing is different and used from the XVI onwards.

Otherwise, it's adding the extra flap set to the already present AM bits ;) maybe not for the purists as they're supposed to be drawn up asap after landing but I'd take the round at the bar as punishment - it was a tough flight today, that's the excuse and I'm sticking to it!

edit:

EN286 IX 3715 HEA M61 FF 4-12-42 6MU 6-12-42 47MU 20-12-42 Skeldergate 10-1-43 Gibraltar 6-2-43 NWAfrica 31-3-43 Malta 1-7-43 Sicily 1-8-43 NAfrica 30-11-43 Middle East 2-8-45 RHAF 27-2-47

and looking at that maintenance pic, if that is the correct wing, the wider cannon bulge seems to be used anyway (can't really tell from the second picture)

49429629041_1a4242cf85_c.jpg

Edited by alt-92
details..
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I thought those actuators are the flap indicators. 

correct.  the kit IIRC doe come with two sets of wings, or upper wings, so maybe not a problem.

1 hour ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

you will notice that not only am I cutting out the gun covers (E type in this case)

the gun cover you have cut out the C type.    

The gun bay set you have posted images of is for an E type wing though.  The photo of EN286 possibly show the broad early gun blister. 

49429628976_d46658506e_b.jpg

for weathering, and desrt fading, these shots show many fine and precise details

49042229021_74e60d510a_o.jpgClose up of RCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

14780326836_c9727d9f2c_o.jpgRCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

note the fresh areas of dark Earth and Middle Stone round the codes,  minor chipping apart from where the wing has been stood on, and the shape and pattern  of stains and exhaust.  The more you look on this, the more there is to bee seen.

from here https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

which has more photos, and is really worth a good look over

this is Mk.VIII, but good for the exposed engine

6317308321_06b57a232a_o.jpgSpitfire maintenance by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Note, an early IX insides are all aluminium apart from the cockpit, which is grey-green, which stops at the seat bulkhead.

24 minutes ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Luckily in the kit you get e wings and c wings

no, both C wing.  Just one with wide bulges, the other narrow.

Initially a single wide blister was incorporated that covered both motors. Initial production Spitfires Mk. Vc, such as those which were transported to Malta were factory-fitted with four cannon. In field conditions, it was often sufficient with two cannon armament and many of the four-cannon Spitfires were converted to fly with either outboard or inboard pair of Hispanos, or else converted to B-standard armament. Later on, production aircraft carried the two 20mm Hispanos and four Brownings. In such circumstances, the very large blister on top of the wing was not required and a new, more streamlined cannon breech cover was provided, with narrow blister fairing over the inboard cannon position and flat surface over the second, unused cannon bay.

The inner machine gun bays in C wing were moved outboard to between ribs 13 and 14. Also, the lower surface of the wing no longer had the gun-bay heating vents outboard of the gun bays and the retractable landing lights were no longer fitted.

The wing structure was stressed for provision of hardpoints outboard of the wheel wells capable of taking a 250 lb (113 kg) bomb under each wing.

Apart from early Spitfires Mk. IX converted from Mk. Vc airframes, the undercarriage indicator pins were not used on this or any of the later Spitfire marks.

21 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

E-wing is different and used from the XVI onwards.

No,  there are plenty of IX's with the E wing.   

The IX and XVI are the same air frame, the only difference is the XVI has the US built Packard Merlin, and the RR and Packard were not interchangeable, hence the different Mk number. 

see here for more, the quote above is from there

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html/2

HTH

PS https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Spitfire-Mk-IX-gun-bay-1-48.html

is the right gunbay set

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I just learned it's the late c-wing. E-wing is different and used from the XVI onwards.

Otherwise, it's adding the extra flap set to the already present AM bits ;) maybe not for the purists as they're supposed to be drawn up asap after landing but I'd take the round at the bar as punishment - it was a tough flight today, that's the excuse and I'm sticking to it!

I’ll hack away at the other wings tomorrow, I don’t want to add anymore AM and I’m a purist I wouldn’t model it with the flaps down!

Cheers 

Iain

• Like 1

Hey everyone

It was pointed out to me yesterday that I'd made a bit of a boo boo when it came to cutting out (hacking) holes in the wings to make the Brassin AM fit, I'd cut out the little fairings for the flaps by mistake thinking that they were under carriage indicators. So this moring I set about opening the gun bays on the other set of wings that I had..

49433599346_93bed23cfe_b.jpg

...again things went very smoothly.

It was also pointed out to me that I infact had the wrong Brassin set for a C winged Spitfire and even though I didn't want to spend any money on this kit as I'm off work at the moment (depression) I couldn't knowingly build it with the wrong gun bays so last night I bit the bullet and bought the Brassin 648201 C wing for the Mk.VIII Spitfire (its the same wing as the Mk.IX) so all should be good in the hood.

Looking at pictures of EN286 she appears to have the larger of the gun coverings as can been seen here..

Spitfire-MkIX-SAAF-1Sqn-AX8-Robbie-Robinson-EN286-Luqa-Malta-Jun-1943-07

..so I'll keep the plastic parts I cut as replacements as the Brassin set that I've ordered have the smaller, more stream lined fairings.

Cheers

Iain

12 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

correct.  the kit IIRC doe come with two sets of wings, or upper wings, so maybe not a problem.

the gun cover you have cut out the C type.    

The gun bay set you have posted images of is for an E type wing though.  The photo of EN286 possibly show the broad early gun blister. 

49429628976_d46658506e_b.jpg

for weathering, and desrt fading, these shots show many fine and precise details

49042229021_74e60d510a_o.jpgClose up of RCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

14780326836_c9727d9f2c_o.jpgRCAF Spitfire V,  1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

note the fresh areas of dark Earth and Middle Stone round the codes,  minor chipping apart from where the wing has been stood on, and the shape and pattern  of stains and exhaust.  The more you look on this, the more there is to bee seen.

from here https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

which has more photos, and is really worth a good look over

this is Mk.VIII, but good for the exposed engine

6317308321_06b57a232a_o.jpgSpitfire maintenance by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Note, an early IX insides are all aluminium apart from the cockpit, which is grey-green, which stops at the seat bulkhead.

no, both C wing.  Just one with wide bulges, the other narrow.

No,  there are plenty of IX's with the E wing.   

The IX and XVI are the same air frame, the only difference is the XVI has the US built Packard Merlin, and the RR and Packard were not interchangeable, hence the different Mk number. 

see here for more, the quote above is from there

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html/2

HTH

PS https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Spitfire-Mk-IX-gun-bay-1-48.html

is the right gunbay set

Hey Troy

Thank you for the great information. I've been looking at the Spitfiresite.com web site and it is a wealth of information, but I didn't realise just how confusing the differences between the C wing and E wing are, hopefully I've rectified that now.

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 2

Hey everyone

Not a modelling update per say but I just wanted to share with you some tools that I acquired that are both very cheap and real 'I dunno how I managed without this' items.

First up I give you these magnetic paint brush holders by Amtec..

49459219693_0da9d8dffd_b.jpg

..available from Amazon for £3.23 for 3. The claps are very strong as are the magnets. Mine are just by my spray booth and I have found them to be very useful.

Next up the piece of kit that I am most impressed with. On Monday I went had my nails manicured (very nice I can recommend it) and part way through the treatment the beautician brought out this mini drill and it got me thinking that it might b e useful when dealing with resin. The drill is very light with variable speeds up to 20000 rpm, you can reverse its polarity (put it in reverse) and it accepts any drill bit with a 2.25 mm shank, I bought mine with 30 assorted bits but it does come with 6 assorted bits.

49459701011_dc74edbeab_b.jpg 49459700616_173d38d46b_b.jpg 49459701111_36115894dc_b.jpg

I had a resin engine from a 1/32 Eduard BF109E-3 that I tested the drill on and here are the results so far (the bits still need a little clean up) and to the bottom right is a pipe still connected to its casting block just to show those who may be unfamiliar with how resin parts look...

49459219868_b7169d8f31_b.jpg

..not too shabby,I bought the drill from Amazon for £12.99 and the drill bits were again from Amazon for £4.75

Well that's all folks. I have all AM I need for my build so later I'm going to use this lot in anger!

Cheers

Iain

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hey everyone

Just a small update. Over the past couple of days I have been beavering away cleaning up and assembling the rather beautiful Eduard 1/48 Merlin engine for the Spitfire Mk.IX.

The components do require a lot of careful clean up but the end result is quite beautiful. I have cleaned up 98% of the castings but those for the spark plug cables I haven't bothered

with as once the engine is put together are hardly noticeable....

49465157563_dd8decc5aa_b.jpg

49465648346_c36dc15b76_b.jpg

49465871247_49db86c5ae_b.jpg

..I've opted to build the engine bearer/frame as a complete item to try and give me the strongest option when it came to cleaning up and painting.

And on that note here it is after its first round of detail paint..

49465707146_6db4068416_b.jpg

49465217378_c6dcb643ba_b.jpg 49465930497_281ae9a2d7_b.jpg

...I'm happy that I built the engine cradle as a whole unit because the engine bloke fits in it like a glove as I was able to use it as a jig to ensure correct alignment of the bearers.

That's all I have for now.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 9

Hey everyone

Just a small update for you. I have been plodding along with the Eduard Brassin 1/48 Merlin 66 engine and I know I've said it before but it really is a little gem of a model. With some careful clean up it builds up beautifully and the detail is out standing.

All I have left to do is add a base plate that sits underneath the sump, add the exhausts and once everything else is complete add a little wiring especially the 12 ignition cables that run along the top of the motor....

49470846961_4c3a6e09c5_b.jpg 49471074102_0e1a741d41_b.jpg 49470356563_c6ac24f512_b.jpg 49470356673_b3ef907e2c_b.jpg 49471074067_85233607d1_b.jpg

..Well its 02:36 in the morning here, I never had any intention to be up this late but I think its been time well spent.

Cheers 

Iain

• Like 7

Hey everyone

I've gotten a bit carried away this morning (I meant to go to bad over 2 hrs ago) and I've added the exhaust stacks to the engine, they are only painted at the moment and still need weathering..

49471375207_952405f91f_b.jpg 49471375307_126114903f_b.jpg 49470661028_c8a42c3afe_b.jpg

..and I've made a start on the gun bays and I have to say these fit pretty well too...

49470661163_71e605f717_b.jpg 49471150826_350369685a_b.jpg

I'm happy with that. Right I'm definitely off to bed now (04:40 GMT)

Cheers

Iain

• Like 10

Hi Iain I somehow missed the start of this, so I’m playing catch-up now. 

The engine and ancillaries look great, difficult to believe that it’s 1/48 from the last photo.

Keep up the good work.

John

PS Good to hear that you haven’t given up on the Mk 1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Iain I somehow missed the start of this, so I’m playing catch-up now. 

The engine and ancillaries look great, difficult to believe that it’s 1/48 from the last photo.

Keep up the good work.

John

PS Good to hear that you haven’t given up on the Mk 1

Hi John

Thanks buddy, the Eduard resin is very good and with a little care and clean up fits together very well. Lol the Mk.1 is gone but not forgotten and will be completed in due course.

Iain