SAS Sud Aviation SE210 Caravelle III - #FINISHED#

nimrod54

A great choice John,

Just to feed my nostalgia fetish, is there any chance of you sneaking in a shot of the wordy instruction sheet please? :D

Cheers

• Like 1

On 06/04/2020 at 06:39, CliffB said:

A great choice John,

Just to feed my nostalgia fetish, is there any chance of you sneaking in a shot of the wordy instruction sheet please? :D

Cheers

Thanks Cliff, this should satisfy your nostalgia fetish nicely. I present the full 4 stage instruction sheet. Enjoy. :D

49745700556_dbf50c7d7e_b.jpg

49746028317_161d9c3665_b.jpg

49745701061_c969793b70_b.jpg

49746028647_21b2fda37a_b.jpg

• Like 5

arrr the good old days when instruction were actually instruction that made sense......better than some of the dodge ones now......hello Special Hobby/Tarangus and Trumpeter to name a few of the worst offenders!!!!! :fuyou_2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

arrr the good old days when instruction were actually instruction that made sense.

I have to agree Rich. You can't beat the old 'locate and cement' instructions. :)

Over the past couple of days 'I ar'  bin mostly sprayin' the fuselage white'. I used Halfords Gloss Appliance White for this which I am now going to leave over the weekend to allow it to harden off. It should then be ready for me to wet sand, then I can mask it off ready to spray the silver on the lower half.

49753178483_3901b587ff_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Can’t be a Gripen, there’s not enough dust on it!

I would have thought you would have been the last person to pipe up.....haven't you got a model you're suppose to be building? :D

now with the rif-raf gone :bleh:, we can get back to that nice finish you've gotten with that white. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I would have thought you would have been the last person to pipe up.....haven't you got a model you're suppose to be building? :D

Ahem, Draken, ahem :whistle:

• Haha 2

That is looking nice.   I still have one in the same boxing treasured for the last umpteen years... probably since around mid 1960's!!!  Also have a Comet in same style box.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

The fit of the wings looks good, especially for such an old tooling.

Do you use micromesh sheets to wet sand the white John, if so which grade?

Mike

Thanks Mike, the fit is great for its age. I think that this being an early boxing has helped, it probably doesn't suffer from the same tool wear as later issues.

I use foam pads for wet sanding, which I bought as a kit from Little Cars (now Modelling Tools) at Telford a few years ago, and the grits that I use are 3600 and 4000. I just knock it back enough to smooth the surface. I would only use it on enamel based paints though, but you probably know that already.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I had a slightly tricky masking session yesterday, in the main caused by the fact that the cheat line does not run along the centreline as per later schemes, but drops away towards the nose. To help get things lined up properly I had to photocopy the decals and create paper templates and tape those in position. I then ran some 1mm tape along the length of the fuselage in line with the bottom edge of the template and then masked off the white butting that tape up against the top edge of the 1mm tape.

It sounds complicated but I hope that it makes sense. After all that I primed the lower half grey and sprayed with Tamiya Bare Metal Silver. If you look closely at the photo you can just make out the bottom edge of the masked line and the drop away at the front end. Fingers crossed that it matches up with the decals now.

49771390327_f40802c846_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 5

Conscious that deadlines for a few builds are approaching, I have been trying to push some of them along over the past week and this one has had the wings primed, painted, they were then attached and had the joins blended and then the Bare Metal Silver areas were painted. Again this one is all about decals and the small details like undercarriage and antenna to finish it off.

49789381812_33ff683ddf_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49789381657_c481378bf1_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8