RAF Phantom FG1

Lord Riot

I'm wondering what to start next and considering the Revell 1/48 Phantom. I've made one already as a grey FGR2, so was hoping to do a camo FG1 of 43 sqn. Does anyone know of any differences apart from the slotted tailplanes?

Are there any aftermarket slotted tailplanes available? Or what do you have to do to convert them? 

From memory now, most of the FG.1 bits are in the kit apart from the tailplanes. 

Hypersonic do a slotted tailpane, I don't have it, but their stuff is really nice,

https://the48ers.com/f-4-phantom-slotted-stabilator.html

There are loads of threads on here detailing differences between FG.1s and FGR.2s, so won't go over it here.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, viscount806x said:

Probably of academic interest only but I'm pretty certain that original Hasegawa issue FG.1 kits included the slotted tailplanes. Same with the Fujimi 1/72 kits too.

Yes the original RN & RAF FGR.1 boxings had a different sprue which contained the tailpalnes and the extended nose gear leg

The bits im using to backdate the Revel/Hasegawa kit is:

Tailplanes from Hypersonic

FG.1 Undercarrige from SAC

FG.1 Wheels from Armory

FG.1 Cockpit from Aires (Yes i know it's the wrong one for an FG.1 but it's the best i could find)

I don't think i've missed anything else that's not in the box ?

• Like 1

Well, I've hit another snag. I don't have the right underwing serials for a camo Phantom circa early 80s. What size were they once they'd been reduced so they didn't stretch onto part of the folding section or undercarriage doors?

I need to find a decal set with them in for an XV5.. serialed FG1. Not as simple as I'd hoped. 

13 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Well, I've hit another snag. I don't have the right underwing serials for a camo Phantom circa early 80s. What size were they once they'd been reduced so they didn't stretch onto part of the folding section or undercarriage doors?

I need to find a decal set with them in for an XV5.. serialed FG1. Not as simple as I'd hoped. 

As I recall, the underwing serials stayed the same size when moved inboard as they were originally - 30 inches high.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lord Riot said:

Thanks Dennis! That makes it a bit easier. Just need to find two 1/48 number 5s in that size now.

Do you have to do an XV serialed 43 FG.1 ?.  Don't forget that they also had XT serialed aircraft as well.

Dennis

46 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

Do you have to do an XV serialed 43 FG.1 ?.  Don't forget that they also had XT serialed aircraft as well.

Dennis

I don't mind either really Dennis, but my research so far hasn't thrown up many XTs where I can find a corresponding tail code. I think the only one was XT875/K, but then I'd still need 5s!

Here's some 43 Sqn XTs

XT860/L

XT861/C

XT873/S

XT874/J

XT875/K & T

I can't access it at the moment, but there is a good 43 Squadron Association webpage with handy pics.

There is also this very good page for background information and pics of flying 43 Sqn Phantoms, https://omegataupodcast.net/172-chasing-bears-with-the-phantom/

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

I don't mind either really Dennis, but my research so far hasn't thrown up many XTs where I can find a corresponding tail code. I think the only one was XT875/K, but then I'd still need 5s!

OK I have missed out XT875/K but can offer you these which may help :-

spacer.png

Masked finish overall

spacer.png

Masked finish overall

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

NB This aircraft had been fitted with "XV" partially serialed outer mainplanes on Major which had not been painted out.  The alpha codes

were later adjusted to "XT" and the aircraft was the only FG.1 at Leuchars to carry the old style of presentation which it did until later sprayed in the

grey schemes.

The photo below is NOT mine and I will remove it if the Mods so instruct but it illustrates the presentation after the above was taken and after the aircraft was 

transferred to 111Sqdn as "E"

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great pictures @sloegin57!  I'm doing XV571/A at the moment in camo, and these photos seem to suggest I need to put a code on the nose wheel door.  Wasn't sure how prevalent that was.  Do you know if they always had them?  Interested in 1977 ish for mine..

Thanks,

Al.

@sloegin57 and @71chally thank you gents, that's phantastic info! I'll see what I can cobble together from the decals I've got.

I'm aiming for the period around 1982-86 just before they all turned grey.

Alas it seems these XTs were all lost in service at some point, (apart from '874), so I can't do them. I guess it'll have to be an XV after all.

Edited by Lord Riot
Update

3 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Great pictures @sloegin57!  I'm doing XV571/A at the moment in camo, and these photos seem to suggest I need to put a code on the nose wheel door.  Wasn't sure how prevalent that was.  Do you know if they always had them?  Interested in 1977 ish for mine..

Thanks,

Al.

Yes Al, you will need a code for the nose wheel door.  77ish sounds good as she went away for Major in 79 and, as she was the CO's aircraft, she came back in grey mid 80 according to my notes.

Attached you may find interesting.  Phantoms had an on going problem with the nose wheel steering which seemed to have a mind of its own on a few rare occasions, especially on take off.  Attached is a43 following such an incident in November 1977 shown where the crew left her as she seemed to be on a collision course with Air Traffic and they decide that brickwork and Phantoms don't mix :-

spacer.png

Note that the Wincos pennant is the wrong way round (I think)

spacer.png

If you fancy a diorama !! -

spacer.png

HTH

Dennis

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@sloegin57 - I already have that top picture and one of her being towed back to the ramp after the incident, I'm modelling her around this time.  The head on one there confirms I need the nosewheel door code so thanks v much for sharing that one!  Not sure I've got a black 'A' which could be my next issue 😞  It's weird seeing that aerial shot with no HASs in it - had to think for a minute where it was!

Al.

@sloegin57 if you're on facebook you should look up the British Phantom Aviation Group.  The pilot involved in that mishap above shared a post on it a while back and they got into some long and technical discussions (way above my head!) about what might or might not have caused it.  Someone shared some of the same pictures that you shared above.  Fascinating stuff!

Al.

1 minute ago, alhenderson said:

@sloegin57 if you're on facebook you should look up the British Phantom Aviation Group.  The pilot involved in that mishap above shared a post on it a while back and they got into some long and technical discussions (way above my head!) about what might or might not have caused it.  Someone shared some of the same pictures that you shared above.  Fascinating stuff!

Al.

Yeah - I remember that - it was me that shared the photos !!  - obviously where you got them from in the first place - enjoy !!.  

I think I am a member of that Group but I go on FB so infrequently nowadays I wouldn't know.  I think the pilot was quite badly injured but thankfully recovered enough to fly again.

That incident and the Navy Phantom burning on the far end of the runway was my introduction to RAF Leuchars - I had only been there less than a week !!

Dennis

• Like 2