Morning!

robstopper

Hi all. I'm Rob, from Suffolk.

I've recently picked up the glue and brushes after a long hiatus, and the bug has bitten again. My skills are far from professional level, but I'm doing my best to learn and improve.

I'm just getting towards the end of a build on a Tamiya 1/48 Corsair F4U-1A and was going to ask for advice on weathering, but after it all started to go horribly wrong last night, its turned in to more of a rescue mission!

Welcome aboard Rob, and you may very well get loads of information on weathering. I too am at the a level far from the professional. But as you say do your very best with what you have and learn from it.

Again welcome!

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

4 hours ago, robstopper said:

Thanks Ron. I think with a multitool, a gentle buffing wheel and a smidge of car polish i've managed to save the canopy which had fogged-up.

Rob,

When I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath I bought a can of color back polish from our Thetford car parts place. I use it to polish canopies and the like using a soft rag. It takes the scratches out and gives a good sheen to the plastic. That was in the mid 70's and still to this day am using whats left in the can. That's all I've ever used that can for is models.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

I should have guessed you were at the 'heath from your username Ron! I only live about 30 minutes from there, so see the Eagles overhead now and then.

Dennis, thanks for the welcome. I've been a Corsair fan since i was a kid and was lucky enough to have a quick guided tour around the old Aeronavale-painted example at IWM Duxford!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been to MJ for years!! Did use to shop there back in my previous modelling period, but as a kid I always preferred Rogers toyshop down St Johns Street - spent my pocket money there most weekends!

These days I get most of my stuff online either from Modelhobbies or Hannants

I grew up in Colchester so didn’t find MJ until we moved to Suffolk just over 10 years ago.  Yes mainly buy eBay / Hannants these days.  Made it up to the Heath & Honnington last year for the Tornado farewell & a bit of Eagle spotting.  Always have a soft spot for the Hall after those 80s Airfetes.